Fringes as a therapist! Should hair be fully off the face?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salmcgin

Reaction score
Hi i just wanted to know your views on fringes!!
I was observed on wedneday teaching a theory session and the IV pulled me on having a full fringe and some of my students. She said i had to have it fully off my face. I generally thought as long as its not in my eyes i am complying with health and safety. Ive tried emailing Habia for their standards on fringes but no success, what are your views?:confused:

Many thanks x

Sounds like she was just being picky. If your whole hair was as short as your fringe then you wouldn't be able to do much about it would you? I've only ever been told 'long hair should be tied back'. What's next - hair nets for therapists?! We're not preparing food or doing open surgery.

I've had a look at the Habia 'Hygiene for Hairdressers and Beauty Therapists' booklet and it just said long hair (should be) tied back.

I think your hair should be clean, well groomed (i.e. no black roots!), and tied off your face. I agree that you're not preparing food or performing surgery, but it's all about projecting a professional image. If you're having to fiddle with your fringe to keep it out of your eyes your students could well be distracted by it.

Thank you for having a look in the habia booklet! Maybe she was being picky! I just want to give the students the right information ready for industry.

I have never heard this about no fringes!! I always ensure if my learners have side fringes that fall across their faces that they pin these back but normal full fringes are fine! Lots of the staff have fringes at our college! I hope your observation went OK apart from that! x:)

I have heard of it. My C&G Manicure tutor said that ITEC insist that all hair is off the face. I also met a girl who'd trained at Champneys and she said they had to do it there.

I personally think it's a bit old-fashioned, but I also think it's a good idea, and at the same time I'm grateful I don't have to do it! I would look totally scary :lol:

I totally agree with the side fringes, that they should be pined back but as my IV has pulled me up on my fringe, i surpose i am going to have look scary and put it back.:eek:

Thanks for all your feedback. xx

I had a treatment recently and the therapist had her hair completely off her face, clipped to the side with about half a doz. tiny butterfly clips, it looked really pretty.

I tried that at college for a laugh. I looked like a freak!
Oh - to be cute - just once!

omg my forehead is the biggest part of my face and i would look horrendous if i had it pinned back,
some how i don't think me looking like that would give off a great impression for the salon, my poor clients would be scared to death,

i do tie my hair back into a plait everyday as it is very long but that is enough in my opinion, my fringe is not in my eyes.

this is what i would look like when i greeted my clients :) if my fringe was back lol

Yeah, I've got a forehead you could land Concorde on - talk about a tefal head!

I am studying ITEC Beauty at Adult Ed collage at the moment and those with long hair are required to have our fringe completely off our face and hair smooth in a bun as hair must not touch the collar (ballerina type style). I have been down marked quite a few times during assessment days because my tutor felt my hair has not remained neat enough during the day.

Personally I don't think it looks at all attractive and just down right scary tbh as not many people can carry that look off - personally I don't think it looks professional if it does not suit the therapist and the idea of a beauty therapist looking down right hideous is pointless. If I was not such a coward I think I would have my hair cut short and a bit spiky as what could they say then I wonder?

I lost points in a nail comp last year at manchester for not pinning my fringe back even though it was not in my eyes :rolleyes:

Mr fringe is my camoflage. I was mugged a few years ago and the callous *&&*&!! put a bottle in my forehead whilst I was unconscious so I have a scar which runs from my eyebrow to my hairline. Maybe I'm being touchy because of this but if I was told to pin it back I'd walk. My hair is clean, tied back elsewhere and out of my eyes, I can't see why it would be an issue.

They were VERY strict on this when i was at college. I dont see that theres anything to worry bout as long as its clean and not in your way ...but you know they like to feel important! xxx

If I was not such a coward I think I would have my hair cut short and a bit spiky as what could they say then I wonder?

I got into serious bother several times as a student nurse with pure white spiky hair (think Annie Lennox) because the powers that be didn't think it was professional enough.

You just need to play the game while you're training! You need them far more than they need you!

I think as someone else said, it is true that a fringe is something to hide behind so it is a confidence thing, if you also don't feel and know you don't look your best, and you need to in always look good as good as you can in this industry.

If I was working I would never have my hair pulled back off my face - I don't have age on my side and I was never a natural born beauty! My hair is clean, neat tidy and always tied back but I look much better with a fringe. The more of me I can hide the better.

I does all seem a bit OTT. xxx

Personally I love Annie Lennox I think she looks fantastic! xxx

I have a fringe and to be honest it has never occured to me to tie it back. But then I have a bob just above my shoulders and I always wear it down, even at college and it was never a problem. I don't think I would look 'normal' if it was all scaped away from my face! :eek:

Latest posts

Back