Gel v Acrylic, Sculpt V Tip - Help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nonkydyson

Reaction score
I have read with interest all the questions etc about nail systems - I am none the wiser and if anything even more confused!

We are trying ibd gels (non soak off) - they seem a little thick, but applied thinly dont last! - Personally I feel that sculpting with Gels is the way forward (I hate the smell with acrylic and we will have 3 nail stations in our receptions area so don't want a system with lots of fumes), I can't tell wether the gel system we settle on should be soak off?? - and are tips and gel top coats for the less creative/high turnover of clients salon??

I spoke at length to the Calgel and Biosculpture reps at Excel and of course they all say their system is the best!! - I could see very little between them except distance from my salon for the training (as I understand it one company was born out of the other from South Africa - so use the same compounds??).

We are having problems with the ibd's - I dont know realistically how long a client should have them on before they either come off! or are ready for an infill. We have done 5/6 sets so far and none have stayed on past a week?! - I have taken note of the advice that cuticle remover should be thoroughly removed with scrub fresh etc and then totally dried - but should we put the bonder/primer all over the nail plate? it says so but have been told just to put it down buy the cuticle margin - so many choices its driving me nuts - all and any advice welcome - sorry for the mini novel!:eek:

Where did you do your training? Have you spoken to your trainers?

I previously had problems with IBD non soak off lifting. I stopped using bonder and have never had a problem with them since. I was advised by IBD to try without bonder and it works for me! Even when I had problems with lifting they always lasted at least 2-3 weeks before a client lost or needed infills?

i agree with pink pink pink you really should speak to your trainer as this really should not be happening . also Try putting the bonder on then lightley wiping the nail this removes the excess that can cause lifting
Also soak off gel can save you time in the long run and the ibd one does come in some really nice colours
hope this helps

Hi - I'm not trained with extensions , I'm the salon owner - but am trying to sort out the system for my newly qualified tech - we do wipe the excess bonder off, but I will definately get her to try with no bonder - to be honest the bonder is usually all that IS left on my nail plate - it almost sets shiney once placed under the lamp - so it would make sense to leave off the primer/bonder - many thanks.

also she could use ibd stick instead of bonder
x

hi there, def agree with the comments, i cant comment on ibd but i have used calgel for a while, the calgel has one gel for everything, no primer just a dry prep and a light buff to the nail plate, loads of great colours, if applied correctly it is REALLY STRONG, it also soaks of in 10 mins, oh and the customer care is magic x

Hi - I'm not trained with extensions , I'm the salon owner - but am trying to sort out the system for my newly qualified tech - we do wipe the excess bonder off, but I will definately get her to try with no bonder - to be honest the bonder is usually all that IS left on my nail plate - it almost sets shiney once placed under the lamp - so it would make sense to leave off the primer/bonder - many thanks.

I have used IBD with no probs I used to have bad probs with lifting but this stopped as soon as I stopped using cuticle remover. No amount of cleansing seemed to remove all traces of it. Now I do a dry prep. My bonder cures shiny, but I just blot (not wipe) it to remove excess. I apply over whole nail but very thinly. Do you apply a thin layer of clear gel as a base coat from close to cuticle to free edge? and do not cleanse between coats?
I only cleanse before filing to shape just before top coat.
hth
Karen

Hi Karen, will try the dry prep - but we don't do a thin cost of clear? we do no cleanse between coats - we do the same as you.

Cheers xx

Hi With your prep do you make sure all the shine is filed from the natural nail. In every little nook and cranny. lol Gel wont adhere to shiny surfaces. It needs scratches in the surface for the gel to soak in to. This is what holds it.
Cheers
Karen

do take into consideration that most newly trained techs may have some problems no matter what system they use.
there is a heck of a lot to take in on a nail course and it takes a bit of practice after gaining the qualification to be producing trouble free sets.
so its worth persevering with the product until the results are 100% rather than rapidly swapping to another brand and being a beginner all over again.

Latest posts

Back