Gelish - Once Upon a Dream (2014!)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1392743306.339561.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1392743610.266829.jpg

She's my beauty. Lovely colour too!

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

My hands in the coral - fairest of them all.

Attachments

• gelish fairest of them all w swarovski.jpg
    gelish fairest of them all w swarovski.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 494
Urgh pink has faded even more. I will contact NH about returning but I really am not happy about paying out for postage etc when it shouldn't be happening in the first place!!!

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

Urgh pink has faded even more. I will contact NH about returning but I really am not happy about paying out for postage etc when it shouldn't be happening in the first place!!!

I agree. I am quite disappointed in the quality control at HNH. It happens way too often; It's not an aberration. Over the past few years we've seen such poor quality control - lots of inconsistent colors and bad batches, lots of fading, separating and thickness issues – I sometimes feel that I am doing their quality control for them!

It's this inconsistency that has me waiting to buy (and maybe passing on) the Once Upon a Dream collection - I already have a nice baby blue from ACG and will get another from LeChat Perfect Match. I don't know if I'll bother with Gelish's, even though I love the color. Ditto for All Haile the Queen - I'd love another lilac-pink, but not another fader.

Last edited:
I honestly think I want to return my collection. It's thick and stringy.... My pink has faded big time - they all need three coats! I think I'm gonna get the ACG pastels as they are thinner and have no fading issues!! :(

Do you use the gelish foundation etc or buy the whole acg system .... I have gelish but need pastel colours and having a nightmare with gelish (had to replace 7 sets last week due to fading) debating what to go for between acg and ibd xx

Do you use the gelish foundation etc or buy the whole acg system .... I have gelish but need pastel colours and having a nightmare with gelish (had to replace 7 sets last week due to fading) debating what to go for between acg and ibd xx

I would like to know this too!! Obviously gelish say you can use foundation and TIO but what are you ladies doing? Or has that been a decision your insurer makes for you?? Xx

ACG and Gelish are both created by Danny Haile. They are sister companies and almost the same formula. Their cleanse and remover is exactly the same and yes you can use Gelish foundation and tio as they are practically the same product. Hth. X

ACG and Gelish are both created by Danny Haile. They are sister companies and almost the same formula. Their cleanse and remover is exactly the same and yes you can use Gelish foundation and tio as they are practically the same product. Hth. X

Thank you for your help ! Xx

Can I ask which is the best yellow from ACG ? Wanting a nice pastel yellow x

ACG and Gelish are both created by Danny Haile. They are sister companies and almost the same formula. Their cleanse and remover is exactly the same and yes you can use Gelish foundation and tio as they are practically the same product. Hth. It's a shame they can get consistency right with Artistic Colour but not with Gelish as they are sister companies :-(

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

ACG and Gelish are both created by Danny Haile. They are sister companies and almost the same formula. Their cleanse and remover is exactly the same and yes you can use Gelish foundation and tio as they are practically the same product. Hth. It's a shame they can get consistency right with Artistic Colour but not with Gelish as they are sister companies :-(

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Although the same company, ACG and Gelish don't have the same formulae. Red Carpet Manicure and Gelish definitely do however. ACG has been better at quality control but ACG has had a dud or two - Muse faded literally before you even took your hand out of the lamp!

Although the same company, ACG and Gelish don't have the same formulae. Red Carpet Manicure and Gelish definitely do however. ACG has been better at quality control but ACG has had a dud or two - Muse faded literally before you even took your hand out of the lamp!

All brands have problems with a few colours - just a shame that Gelish seems to have more than most :(

Danny Haile was a cofounder of ezflow & worked with AII’s brands. I don’t *think* he was ever involved in Artistic?

ACG/Gelish do not come from the same source. Artistic & Jessica share a gel polish manufacturer. Harmony manufactures elsewhere - hence their different stance on animal testing, different consistency etc.

The soak off removers aren't the same & have quite different ingredients lists. Obviously, like all removers, they're acetone based so have similarities.

General musings on the “sister company” concept:

I have never heard anyone in an official capacity at Artistic say anything endorsing cross brand usage.

Harmony, on the other hand, have a much more inclusive stance & state publicly that their top/base can be used with ANYTHING. Not ACG in particular but any gel polish brand.

It is common for investment houses to have a portfolio of businesses in the same field. MAC & Bobbi Brown are both EL brands. It does not make their product range, brand identity & vision compatible or interchangeable. Harmony & Artistic operate in the same fashion: as independent entities. Their vast differences would be clearer if one looked at the entire product range rather than just gel polish which, quite frankly, is a pretty similar product across all brands.

Without the written ok from Artistic I would have thought mixed brand usage would contravene insurance coverage? I'm pretty sure it would void mine.

The ACG pastels are lovely & I highly recommend them. But they are on the thick side. Flawless (pastel yellow), sincere (pastel pink) & poised (dove grey) are noticeably thicker than the rest of their offerings. To anyone looking for pastel pinks via ACG - la ti da should be avoided as it quickly changes to sludge peach - kind of stained/dirty looking.

I was told by an ACG Educator that Danny Haile is behind ACG and Gelish (she works/worked for both) and that you CAN use Gelish foundation and Tio with ACG.... And as I have attended training with Harmony, who state their products can be used with other systems, my insurance co. Says it's absolutely fine :)

I was told by an ACG Educator that Danny Haile is behind ACG and Gelish (she works/worked for both) and that you CAN use Gelish foundation and Tio with ACG.... And as I have attended training with Harmony, who state their products can be used with other systems, my insurance co. Says it's absolutely fine :)

The world of SOG is a small one. The president of OPI, John Heffner, was the president of CND. Danny Haile was a co-founder of EZFlow, worked with OPI, IBD and others and then founded HNH and was involved in ACG, but ACG is the baby of "man"icurist Tom Bachik. I find that ACG is significantly different from Gelish in its formulae - thinner, but yet creamier. The thing that makes me crazy about ACG is that the published swatches look so different from the color IRL. I am constantly surprised by what I receive when I order ACG. I have to see ACG colors on swatches before ordering.

And you can use ACG with Gelish base and top, but not because of the connection between the brands, but because Gelish says you can use any UV cured color coat with their base and top. I wonder how that plays out when one brand says you can intermix, but the other says you can't (like CND Shellac) or is silent (ACG). Is it okay as long as one manufacturer says it is? I find this all a royal pain. The "stay within the system" rule worked when there were only a few brands, but now with dozens out there, it seems ridiculous, especially as Willowrose points out many are made by the same manufacturer. I really appreciate that Gelish has stepped out with a more inclusive position and wish the others would follow. Instead of strident opposition to intermixing, I'd like to see them offering guidance on how to do it well.

Last edited:

Nail Harmony will refund the the p&p too so you won't be out of pocket

The world of SOG is a small one. The president of OPI, John Heffner, was the president of CND. Danny Haile was a co-founder of EZFlow, worked with OPI, IBD and others and then founded HNH and was involved in ACG, but ACG is the baby of "man"icurist Tom Bachik. I find that ACG is significantly different from Gelish in its formulae - thinner, but yet creamier. The thing that makes me crazy about ACG is that the published swatches look so different from the color IRL. I am constantly surprised by what I receive when I order ACG. I have to see ACG colors on swatches before ordering.

And you can use ACG with Gelish base and top, but not because of the connection between the brands, but because Gelish says you can use any UV cured color coat with their base and top. I wonder how that plays out when one brand says you can intermix, but the other says you can't (like CND Shellac) or is silent (ACG). Is it okay as long as one manufacturer says it is? I find this all a royal pain. The "stay within the system" rule worked when there were only a few brands, but now with dozens out there, it seems ridiculous, especially as Willowrose points out many are made by the same manufacturer. I really appreciate that Gelish has stepped out with a more inclusive position and wish the others would follow. Instead of strident opposition to intermixing, I'd like to see them offering guidance on how to do it well.

Totally agree. I was told by the girls at IBD at the trade show that you can use their top, bonder and base coat with other brands too.

I use Shellac too and they are a strict No No re mixing brands so I don't. ;)

Any reviews on "Oh what i knight" i just ordered it as i have no colours like it :) is it a thick consistancy? how many coates do you think it needs? x

Latest posts

Back