Gelish or Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi hun

i see you live in maidstone have you thought about popping along to Olympia? Then you can chat to the companies and see the products yourself.

I don't use gelish but i recently bought shellac which i completely love. I find it lasts well on busy active mums and even people that are heavy with their hands, my mum being one of them who works in a cash office and constantly handles coins and previously had problems with chipping and peeling nails, since shellac her nails have improved dramatically. I love the fact that you have the backing of advertising education and support of both cnd and sweet squared. I love the fact that its kind on your nails no buffing at all, has a incredibly high shine and amazing colours. The service also feels high end even when i do it on myself!

Google cnd and have a look at their website lots of fantastic information on there and also videos too.

Enjoy discovering!

Love n hugs x x x

This is how easy it is to use Shellac.

Shellac Solid Color Application and Removal - YouTube

Notice no buffing of the natural nail (natural nail clients do not like this)
No dry brushing off the sticky layer (the inhibition layer) to stop colour running all over (takes more time)
No buffing the top coat before removal (takes more time)
No bulk or build up of product (natural nail clients do not like this)
Five fingers can be cured at once in the CND UV Lamp (saves allot of time)

As for the person who commented about depth of colour? You only ever need 2 coats of Shellac to get full depth of all colours. There are opaques, semi-sheers and sheers in the Shellac range and all reach their true depth in 2 thin coats.

Geeg, sorry can I ask something. I've just re-Shellacked my nails after 3 weeks as the re-growth wasn't noticeable until then. Does Shellac have to be removed & re-applied after 2 weeks or does it vary from person to person?

Geeg, sorry can I ask something. I've just re-Shellacked my nails after 3 weeks as the re-growth wasn't noticeable until then. Does Shellac have to be removed & re-applied after 2 weeks or does it vary from person to person?

I wear Shellac for about 3 weeks before I wrap it off.

The answer is that some can and some can't and you will work out a schedule with your clients when you see how they or their lifestyle affects their Shellacked nails; no different from nail enhancements in that way really.

We all know that it is clients and how they wear a product and treat it (whether or not they do good aftercare etc) that makes the difference (plus speed of nail growth).

I have both Shellac and Gelish. I've had Shellac since day 1 and i have all 24 colours.
I added Gelish 2 months ago and im so glad i did. I Love Gelish and i wish i had bought it sooner. It is cheaper has the Gelish bottles are double the size. I prefere to work from a normal sized bottle. I find that Gelish goes on thinner, smoother, is less sticky and has a brilliant shine. More colour options although i only have 14 so far. I find it very exciting that i have another 70 to buy!! I find the Gelish application alot smoother and i dont get myself in a tacky mess. :)

I use Gelish and Bio Sculpture and don't buff natural nail for either before applying and don't have any problems.

Jo x

But the manufactures recommend that you DO remove surface shine! and you should always follow your manufactures instructions xx

But the manufactures recommend that you DO remove surface shine! and you should always follow your manufactures instructions xx

Agreed follow manufacturers instructions on what is going onto the nail - but why buff them if they don't need it? As I said before, I don't buff and have no problem with my nails or my clients - not going to do something that I don't think is necessary, if had problems with lifting or chipping would be different, but I don't!

Jo x

Agreed follow manufacturers instructions on what is going onto the nail - but why buff them if they don't need it? As I said before, I don't buff and have no problem with my nails or my clients - not going to do something that I don't think is necessary, if had problems with lifting or chipping would be different, but I don't!

Jo x

Depends on what your clients nails are like. If your product is going onto nails that hacve already been enhanced and the surface is already open and dehydrated then of course there is no need to buff.

The fact is that the nail surface is buffed at all shows where gels are being demonstrated and apart form Bio sculpture which does not require buffing I do not know one gel company that doesn't buff the natural nail; some will do it gently and some will not.

My Shellac clients are natural nail clients and that is what CND recommends ... to use Shellac on natural nail clients with healthy glossy natural nails. Shellac is a UV cured polish and not a gel and does not add bulk or huge strength although it is strong and flexible. The better the condition of the natural nails, the better Shellac will last. We only market Shellac to our natural nail clients and we now have 100% more of them than we did this time last year. :green: Just because that is the NEW market we have gone for. We never had all these manicures before. Wonderful growth in business.

We still have our enhancement clients .. we havent converte'd them .. what is the point of that when what we all want is new clients? We are more than happy.

Gelish all the way for me. I have both and my Shellac is just chucked in a draw because compared to Gelish the colours are boring and nobody wants them.

I'm trying Gelish 2mrw and wondering if anyone could tell me a nice paler pink shade to get? I normally have pink and white acrylics so having natural nails is unusual for me so I'm after a natural shade but something that still shows I've had my nails done?

I'm also trying shellac next month and am after a nice pale pink in that too if anyone has any suggestions I'd much appreciate it.

And then YN Mani q ..!

There's only one way to find out what you like right!!

Anyone can get a sallys card.

This is not the case, my local Sally's wouldn't even accept my CND naturally nails course to get a trade card as they said they do not accept one day courses so I had to wait until I had passed my gel course, they were quite picky.

Pink Smoothie is a really pale pink shade in Gelish and Go Girl is brighter but not too bright, if you go on the Gelish Lovers Group you will see lots of photos that have been posted, its a great help when looking for colours x

This is not the case, my local Sally's wouldn't even accept my CND naturally nails course to get a trade card as they said they do not accept one day courses so I had to wait until I had passed my gel course, they were quite picky.

My Sallys is really strict too, but I have read other posts suggesting that they are not all the same, can only comment on the one I go to and they want to see certificates etc :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Pink Smoothie is a really pale pink shade in Gelish and Go Girl is brighter but not too bright, if you go on the Gelish Lovers Group you will see lots of photos that have been posted, its a great help when looking for colours x

Thanks x

I prefer Gelish. I have looked at both and Gelish has a better depth of colour, IMO. I dont like colours that look wishy washy when they bare supposed to be a strong colour. If you know what I mean. They shine seems to be better too with Gelish.

Totally agree with you... Gelish is the best for me... I find it goes on smoothly, love deep colours and definitely keep up with gorgeous colours.:green:

I'm also trying shellac next month and am after a nice pale pink in that too if anyone has any suggestions I'd much appreciate it.

Hi! If you're after a full coverage pale pink then Romantique or Strawberry Smoothie are the way to go IMO. There are other options too: Negligee, Beau, Moonlight & Roses etc, but these are more sheer. And PLEASE make sure you use the full system with Shellac: CND Scrubfresh, Shellac Base Coat, Color Coat and Top Coat - not forgetting the CND UV Lamp! Failing to use the complete system (including the correct lamp) is setting yourself up for unhappy clients due to product breakdown. The CND UV Lamp is a fabulous piece of kit - you will love it! :) x

Please take a look in the Shellac lovers group and click on 'view all pictures'

Recently a Shellac technician has kindly posted a selection of colours and layering on nail discs and they are beautifully done ... If anyone can view those and say those colours aren't deep and rich and lush then it only goes to show they do not know what they are talking about or are perhaps colour blind :lol:

There are simply tonnes of colour options with Shellac and it doesn't take two minutes when you've used them to know and remember what they are ... Talk about economical and cheaper? :green: With 30 colours you can have more than 100 options and for much less spend out ...

Please take a look in the Shellac lovers group and click on 'view all pictures'

Recently a Shellac technician has kindly posted a selection of colours and layering on nail discs and they are beautifully done ... If anyone can view those and say those colours aren't deep and rich and lush then it only goes to show they do not know what they are talking about or are perhaps colour blind :lol:

There are simply tonnes of colour options with Shellac and it doesn't take two minutes when you've used them to know and remember what they are ... Talk about economical and cheaper? :green: With 30 colours you can have more than 100 options and for much less spend out ...

I agree :green:

Hi! If you're after a full coverage pale pink then Romantique or Strawberry Smoothie are the way to go IMO. There are other options too: Negligee, Beau, Moonlight & Roses etc, but these are more sheer. And PLEASE make sure you use the full system with Shellac: CND Scrubfresh, Shellac Base Coat, Color Coat and Top Coat - not forgetting the CND UV Lamp! Failing to use the complete system (including the correct lamp) is setting yourself up for unhappy clients due to product breakdown. The CND UV Lamp is a fabulous piece of kit - you will love it! :) x

Thanks up to scratch for the pink colour suggestions.

I will be paying someone to do the shellac service as I'm trying three different systems to see which I like best so I'm not wasting my money buying all I need for one then not using it.

I tried the Gelish today and I have to agree with Geegs natural nail clients in regards to the fact that I didn't like the buffing of my nail first.
I realize when I put my acrylics on I do this but for some reason it bothered me when I had the Gelish service today.

So I think Im leaning towards shellac as a polish option but still will try mani q as planned as well but believe that requires buffing too.

Well you are doing the right thing by trying them all out, I spent ages researching on here then I tried 3 different types which helped me make up my mind, best to be sure before you spend all that money! :)

Latest posts

Back