Gelish or Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicki humbles01

Premium Geek
Reaction score
:Love:Gelish or Shellac, I have been looking into both systems and wondered if any of you could tell me which one you use, why and if you and your clients are happy with it , thank you for your help

I have used both, and personally prefer Gelish, although Shellac is also a great product. These are the reasons I prefer Gelish:

Gelish has more colours - 84 as opposed to 30 Shellac (they have some great neons and glitters)

They have a soak off structure gel available for adding strenth for people with weak nails.

Gelish is cheaper

Better results - personally I find Gelish lasts longer (only needs to be removed because of regrowth, no chipping or peeling ever)

hth xx

Thats really helpful thank you, what colours are popular with your clients ? xx

I've gone for shellac because of its name and my love of CND products. Gelish is now available in Sallys, its hardly salon exclusive. My husband is a hairstylist and has the same policy

I too use Gelish and find Gossip Girl is a real favourite with clients, this summer my clients have also loved tiger blossom and passion and vegas nights is a great glitter to over most colours :)

I've gone for shellac because of its name and my love of CND products. Gelish is now available in Sallys, its hardly salon exclusive. My husband is a hairstylist and has the same policy

Sallys will only sell gelish to trade customers. I went in & they asked for my trade card before I could purchase it.
I use gelish because of the colour choice. It lasts 2-3 weeks & only needs changing because of the regrowth.

Do they differ on the removal process? Do you need to file/buff the nails? Is gelish classed as a soak off gel or is it a hybrid polish like shellac?

I prefer Gelish. I have looked at both and Gelish has a better depth of colour, IMO. I dont like colours that look wishy washy when they bare supposed to be a strong colour. If you know what I mean. They shine seems to be better too with Gelish.

Gelish is a soak off gel. Very easy and quick to remove. :)

why not try them first! Is there any salons around you that do them? then you can see how long it takes to apply/remove

Contact the distributors ask them for information on the products and why you should choose them! speak to the actually people you will be buying the product from! Sweet Squared's Number is 0845 210 6060 I'm sure some one will give you Harmony's number or google it!

My personal opinion I <3 SHELLAC!!
it goes on like polish, wears like a gel and comes off in minutes!

No buffing the natural nail before application or for removal! Shellac is the ONLY product were you dont have to remove the surface shine :)

and for me 24 soon to be 30 colours is more then enough! i had trouble with clients taking there time choosing from 12 colours!!

Do you really need that many colours??? Also a comment above said that gelish is cheaper, Is it really? When youve got to buy 70 odd colours?? hmmm food for thought! i find it unprofessional when you show clients all the colours and you said oh sorry i haven't got that one! how embarrassing! i like to have all colours fully stocked! :) xx

I have about 20 Gelish colours on a colour wheel so I dont show the clients what they could have only what I do have and like you say that is more than enough for them to choose from, they are still choosing when I have finished prepping the nail!

Although that is a good idea, clients use the Internet they google theses thing to find out about them! we all do, how many of you google Shellac when you first heard of it? Clients will and see the colour choices! 20 colours out of 70+ would not be sufficient for me! i would rather have Shellac and just have the full collection so i am prepares for whoever comes through my door.

Shellac and be layerd to creative hundreds more colours with just the 30 bottles!!
http://www.cnd.com/Tools-Support/PDF/Shellac-Support/5253_ShellacLayeringSheet.pdf

http://www.cnd.com/shellaclayering/4978_ShellacLayeringSheet.pdf

Anyone can get a sallys card.

I do quite a lot of Gelish each week and all my clients are happy with my colours, if ever a client asked for a particular colour I would get it for her but as to date that hasnt happened yet (apart from my sister, but dont class her as a client as she doesnt pay!!)- Gelish works for me as im sure Shellac works for you :)

Gelish for me all the way , that is my biggest bulk of the business I do in the salon. Colours are fab and lots to choose from. Soak off in minutes and last until regrowth. I cannot comment on shellac as have never tried it. X

why not try them first! Is there any salons around you that do them? then you can see how long it takes to apply/remove

Contact the distributors ask them for information on the products and why you should choose them! speak to the actually people you will be buying the product from! Sweet Squared's Number is 0845 210 6060 I'm sure some one will give you Harmony's number or google it!

My personal opinion I <3 SHELLAC!!
it goes on like polish, wears like a gel and comes off in minutes!

No buffing the natural nail before application or for removal! Shellac is the ONLY product were you dont have to remove the surface shine :)

and for me 24 soon to be 30 colours is more then enough! i had trouble with clients taking there time choosing from 12 colours!!

Do you really need that many colours??? Also a comment above said that gelish is cheaper, Is it really? When youve got to buy 70 odd colours?? hmmm food for thought! i find it unprofessional when you show clients all the colours and you said oh sorry i haven't got that one! how embarrassing! i like to have all colours fully stocked! :) xx

I use Gelish and Bio Sculpture and don't buff natural nail for either before applying and don't have any problems.

Jo x

I personally love Shellac. I've only been using it for a few weeks. Tested & tried on my sister who's an active Mum and my Mum. It does last up to 2 weeks and sometimes more, still shiny like new. I've only got 6 colours at the moment but I do plan to get more & love the whole layering aspect of it, plus that fact that you don't buff the shine from the natural nail before application.

I think Shellac is cheaper to be honest. I saw Gelish in my local Sally's trade store and it's £** per. bottle whereas Shellac is £*** per. bottle, I don't know if it's cause it's a bigger bottle or..

I can't comment on Gelish as I've never used it. Although saying that, I've seen the colour range of Gelish and I love the shimmers, I hope Shellac bring out more shimmers/glitter colours in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Gelish and Bio Sculpture and don't buff natural nail for either before applying and don't have any problems.

Jo x

That's great to know that you don't need to buff the nail before Gelish as that was one thing holding me back from using it.
Your supposed to though aren't you?
I'm trying Gelish 2mrw for the first time then I'm going to try shellac next.
I do love the Gelish colours.

Can you use any regular 36 watt uv lamp with the system?

Last edited:
Gelish bottle is double the size, so works out cheaper than Shellac;)

Latest posts

Back