Gellish or Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Extrovert

Reaction score
Ok guys which is best? Currently use shellac but there's a big buzz about gellish x

Ive never used Shellac but absolutely love Gelish, cant fault it. Why dont you join the Gelish group to find out what nail techs discuss about Gelish and look at the pictures? x

Thanks I will x

There's no reason why you can't use both, if you want to that is :wink2:

There's no reason why you can't use both, if you want to that is :wink2:
I think it depends if you want to use a gel and all that entails, or to have the simplicity of Shellac which is a whole new category of colour coating. Call it a power polish.

The new UV3 technology of Shellac gives you the best of all worlds ! .. The simplicity and ease of application and the look and coverage in two coats of polish, the long wearability of a Gel but none of the bulk and the incredible fast removal time of only 10 minutes ... Really. :green:

For natural nail care I have always said Jessica has a stronger Consumer awareness brand then CND. However for these new style of UV cure polishes Shellac is probably the only one with really strong consumer brand awareness, maybe followed by Geleration.

It all depends what you want from it ... if you want consumers phoning up and asking for the treatment by name then Shellac is the way to go. If you want slightly cheaper, with the option of a LED lamp and more colours then Gelish is the way to go.

It is all about personal choice and preference ... you also need to have both applied for you to compare the quality and see which you prefer.

Mat

have have to say I'm making the same decision. Fozzo said Gelsih is the cheaper option but I disagree their lamp is more than CND's as are the bottles per unit.

Got to be honest I use both, and love both. Gelish is dearer to buy but the bottles are bigger. Both are a very good make and basically do the same job. I think the only difference is curing time on the foundation layer. hth's

have have to say I'm making the same decision. Fozzo said Gelsih is the cheaper option but I disagree their lamp is more than CND's as are the bottles per unit.

The Gelish bottles are 15ml as opposed to Shellac 7ml, so more than twice the size, & the lamp I have already does Gelish but not Shellac so it may depend on if you are starting up or if you already have lamps.

I would love to offer Shellac too as their advertising is more recognised by clients than Gelish is.

The Gelish bottles are 15ml as opposed to Shellac 7ml, so more than twice the size, & the lamp I have already does Gelish but not Shellac so it may depend on if you are starting up or if you already have lamps.

I have the CND lamp and this works perfectly with Gelish as well. :)

The CND lamp will cure all/most UV products unless the manufacturing instructions say otherwise!

i think there is a BIG difference between Shellac and gelish the key most important to me is....

Shellac is a POWER POLISH
gelish is a SOAK OF GEL POLISH (which Shellac is not!)

AND ...

The most important thing that a client is interested in is damage to their natural nails! which we all dont want to do! with Shellac you DO NOT remove surface shine or buff the natural nail in any way shape or form, Shellac is the only system were you do not do this!

And Shellac as super fast remover 10 minutes Really! only 10 minutes! you do not file over the top coat to "break the seal" just straight on with your remover wraps :) ive found Shellac the quickest and easiest product to remove! xx

iv been using shellac only two months,and all my regular anicure and file&pol clients have converted, the word is spreading and i cant fit new clients in!! all i can say is"I LOVE SHELLAC".

I'm gelish all the way.
Being a hardened bio sculpture believer for years it's been hard to work out if I should change from it.

Only due to the time it takes and the issues BS would cause to some clients - especially my "housewife" clients and "mummy" clients.

So I took the plunge with gelish, told my clients about it for months without actually offing it until I did the conversion course (which was yesterday). And all my clients can't wait to have it.

I tried it out on a client 3 weeks ago and this evening she returned. Wow is all I say... And so did she. She was so impressed - not a nail overlay out of place, no lifting etc. Better than the BS she had in the past and I only used base and top from gelish with BS colour between.

That is what I like about the gelish. It will work with other gel products and clients can use cuticle oil on their nails which you can't with just BS.

I have worn shellac and it's only good for about a week not two and gelish lasts longer than the 3 weeks it advertises (in my experience so far). Love it.

I'm gelish all the way.
Being a hardened bio sculpture believer for years it's been hard to work out if I should change from it.

Only due to the time it takes and the issues BS would cause to some clients - especially my "housewife" clients and "mummy" clients.

So I took the plunge with gelish, told my clients about it for months without actually offing it until I did the conversion course (which was yesterday). And all my clients can't wait to have it.

I tried it out on a client 3 weeks ago and this evening she returned. Wow is all I say... And so did she. She was so impressed - not a nail overlay out of place, no lifting etc. Better than the BS she had in the past and I only used base and top from gelish with BS colour between.

That is what I like about the gelish. It will work with other gel products and clients can use cuticle oil on their nails which you can't with just BS.

I have worn shellac and it's only good for about a week not two and gelish lasts longer than the 3 weeks it advertises (in my experience so far). Love it.

Surely you can use cuticle oil with bio sculpture.I use Calgel and its the advice i most reinforce.

I know when they are not using it regularly because their nails can become dry and flaky and start to split when they get longer.Their nails may also not hold the gel as well due to the bad condition.

The ones that use it have beautiful strong nails underneath and rarely lose an overlay or have lifting they would go forever and the gel would just grow out.

If shellac only lasted a week then it wouldn't be as massively popular as it is would it. In Edinburgh at the moment more and more salons are offering Shellac. Surely if it only ever lasts a week then people wouldn't be choosing to offer Shellac. Before blaming the product its best to look at your own application, prep etc.

Also can any one else comment on the cliam that you can't use cuticle oil with bio sculpture?! I find this rather odd ?

I recommend cuticle oil to all my BioSculpture clients. Never had a problem. BioSculpture retail they're own (even though I use solar oil) so I can't see it being a problem!

I also do shellac and it lasts more than a week on me and my clients x

I'm gelish all the way.

So I really must get this straight.
You are gelish all the way but haven't actually ever used the system on yourself or your clients ! In fact, by your own admission, you didn't even use the system on yourself, but only the top and base with bio in between !

You say you used Shellac on yourself, but you don't say if you used the system which includes the CND UV Lamp And all the other products made to match ... ( which I'm sure you did not use) and for all we know, you may have messed up with the system in other ways by only using the top and the base with bio in between also ...

And then you have the nerve to disrespect the Shellac system in print by stating that it only lasted a week !? Do you actually expect any thinking person to take you or your comments seriously? This post really makes you look very foolish when the most used, lauded and advanced system in The Market with the most acclaim for how well it lasts is Shellac!

Do you know intelligent technicians use systems? Do you understand what the word system actually means? Do you know why using a system is recommended by companies who innovate and create them?
Because Systems WORK!
Because using a system is being honest with your clients who trust you to deliver what they have paid for; doing anything else makes you a 'messer' and with no guaranteed results ... What a foolish risk to take with your business and your clients.

For natural nail care I have always said Jessica has a stronger Consumer awareness brand then CND. However for these new style of UV cure polishes Shellac is probably the only one with really strong consumer brand awareness, maybe followed by Geleration.

It all depends what you want from it ... if you want consumers phoning up and asking for the treatment by name then Shellac is the way to go. If you want slightly cheaper, with the option of a LED lamp and more colours then Gelish is the way to go.

It is all about personal choice and preference ... you also need to have both applied for you to compare the quality and see which you prefer.

Mat

You can use a UV lamp with Gelish. Works great!

Again, you can use a UV lamp with Gelish, it just takes a little more time to cure. The polish choice is far more extensive (48) compared to Shellac (24). They cost about the same; however, I find that I can polish more clients per bottle of Gelish, hence they are less expensive in the long run. The application process is the same. The soak off is 10 minutes just like Shellac, the only difference is you must buff the surface of the polish before beginning the soak off process.

Personally, I like both products but I find Gelish to be more durable.

The CND lamp will cure all/most UV products unless the manufacturing instructions say otherwise!

i think there is a BIG difference between Shellac and gelish the key most important to me is....

Shellac is a POWER POLISH
gelish is a SOAK OF GEL POLISH (which Shellac is not!)

AND ...

The most important thing that a client is interested in is damage to their natural nails! which we all dont want to do! with Shellac you DO NOT remove surface shine or buff the natural nail in any way shape or form, Shellac is the only system were you do not do this!

And Shellac as super fast remover 10 minutes Really! only 10 minutes! you do not file over the top coat to "break the seal" just straight on with your remover wraps :) ive found Shellac the quickest and easiest product to remove! xx

Absolutely true! And Shellac is a gel-hybrid polish whereas Gelish is a colored gel. Shellac is marketed as a "14 day manicure" and Gelish is marketed as a 3 week polish. Gelish is very durable and once you "break the seal," it soaks off in 10 minutes, too. And there is no need to by the special lamp. The UV lamp used for Shellac works perfect with it so you can play around with both products.

I like them both equally. I just wish Shellac has more color choices.

Latest posts

Back