Grammar

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I try,and hope others try,but it's not the end of the world IMO

I got a very upity pm the otherday,at the foot of it was a note saying how un pro i was for poor spelling,i sent it back highlighting their sp mistakes in red,ahhh karma :lol:

Last edited:
Grammar is not such an issue. Most people know how to use full stops, commas etc. Ppl txt spkg & typg shts me. Even when sending a text, I tend to type it out in full (mostly). However, using things like OMG, LOL, ROFLMAO etc doesn't bother me as it conveys emotions that you can't get through standard messages.

As for proper English, I can type English, but speak Australian. My slang can be a shocker and have a terrible Aussie drawl at times when talking to friends and family. I'm way better writing than speaking.

I don't give a rats ass, I judge folk on far more serious matters than grammar & spelling!

i don't care about spelling mistakes....but i must say,text talk does my head in...
i find it hard to read and lets face it...textalk is that....TEXTING ...so use it when texting......

far to many bad things happen to people everyday to worry about spelling....
but i do use the spell check xxxxxxx

yeah I agree about txt speak, I always use it in my txts but not on here as sometimes people struggle to understand! oh but one thing that REALLY bugs me is when people write 'dat' instead of 'that'!!! grrrr!!! I just can't help but think they are too lazy to speak properly!

yeah I agree about txt speak, I always use it in my txts but not on here as sometimes people struggle to understand! oh but one thing that REALLY bugs me is when people write 'dat' instead of 'that'!!! grrrr!!! I just can't help but think they are too lazy to speak properly!

i gree hun...iv had it done 2 me aswell...dat wot im on bout xxxxxxxxxx:lol:

Facts abut me

* I CANNOT spell
* I CANNOT understand grammer (though Marion done a lovely job explaining to me about apostrophes!)
* I CANNOT do mental arthimatic.
* I CANNOT use spell check on here it tells me to install something or other when all I want to do is spell check :confused:

Want to here another fact about me? I'm dyspraxic.

I will always read through my posts but because I miss out words and letters it always looks fine to me:!:

I always use paragraphs though, people who don't give me headache!!!

Spelling and grammer was never made a big deal at school for either but I think the other point is we all now live in a lazy nation where we can get microsoft word to do it all for us. :lol:

I do try though I swear (and yes there a million spelling and grammer mistakes in this post, Oh well - enjoy :lol:)

Amy :hug:

Facts abut me

* I CANNOT spell
* I CANNOT understand grammer (though Marion done a lovely job explaining to me about apostrophes!)
* I CANNOT do mental arthimatic.
* I CANNOT use spell check on here it tells me to install something or other when all I want to do is spell check :confused:

Want to here another fact about me? I'm dyspraxic.

I will always read through my posts but because I miss out words and letters it always looks fine to me:!:

I always use paragraphs though, people who don't give me headache!!!

Spelling and grammer was never made a big deal at school for either but I think the other point is we all now live in a lazy nation where we can get microsoft word to do it all for us. :lol:

I do try though I swear (and yes there a million spelling and grammer mistakes in this post, Oh well - enjoy :lol:)

Amy :hug:

i did not know how to do spellcheck either hun...so i installed it on my Google bar!!!!!!!!!!!!!...i just put spellcheck ,it came up and i installed....here is nailzoo,s way of installing it on here ...hth xxxxxxxxx

http://www.salongeek.com/chit-chat/39474-spellcheck.html

I think the other point is we all now live in a lazy nation where we can get microsoft word to do it all for us.

Definately agree with this one. Especially with the prevelence of text speak permeating everything in society now - even shops are advertising using text speak and I've even seen outside a church with their message in text speak. Kids aren't being taught proper spelling and grammar anymore - it's a case of 'close enough is good enough'.

First it was calculators for maths. Now spell check and grammar check. I always spell check myself as I'm going along. Even when typing documents, I'll print it off and manually spell check it myself. I didn't even realise there was a spell check on here until it was pointed out.

I don't give a rats ass, I judge folk on far more serious matters than grammar & spelling!

Hear hear my sentiments exactly.
On the subject of txt talk though....I'm guilty as charged...but more on the chat room than the forums.
I'm trying not to use it,it's just that I can't type quickly enough to keep up and find myself slipping into old habits I don't mean to be rude :lol:
Just keep kicking me if I slip up (nt 2 hard plz :lol::lol:)

Last edited:
Oh cool, took me a minute but found it on my Google toolbar as well! World of spelling here I come!

Thanks Hun ~:hug:~
Amy

Oh cool, took me a minute but found it on my Google toolbar as well! World of spelling here I come!

Thanks Hun ~:hug:~
Amy

no worrys hun :wink2: xx

Now don't look at the post above, because I am not pointing fingers, but as well as text type, the thing that winds me up the most is not capitalising the word 'I' and using i instead. I think it is very lazy.

Actually I think we all need to look at a larger picture (consideration for others) and even if we personally are not bothered by grammatical errors or spelling errors, we are a GLOBAL community here on the salon geek.

Although English is the predominant language on the site, it would be nice/polite/courteous/thoughtful if people actually made the effort to write in English correctly so that our neighbours from other countries might find it easier to understand or translate.

I know we dont live in a perfect world and I appreciate the benefit as much as anybody the benefit of a spell checker, but if I can understand what the poster is trying to say then I dont get too upset these days if the spelling or grammar isnt 100%.

However, as a few have said when I read a post that is quite lengthy and has no paragraphs and loads of text speak it does make it very difficult to read and I have quite often given up trying to understand it, which does mean that I dont give any advice to the question actually being asked.

I did thoroughly enjoy reading the book "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" a few years ago and it does make you think about what words you are typing or putting onto written documents.

Amazon.co.uk: Books: Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation

Now don't look at the post above, because I am not pointing fingers, but as well as text type, the thing that winds me up the most is not capitalising the word 'I' and using i instead. I think it is very lazy.

Actually I think we all need to look at a larger picture (consideration for others) and even if we personally are not bothered by grammatical errors or spelling errors, we are a GLOBAL community here on the salon geek.

Although English is the predominant language on the site, it would be nice/polite/courteous/thoughtful if people actually made the effort to write in English correctly so that our neighbours from other countries might find it easier to understand or translate.

I shall do my best...but i cant promise anything !!

I totally agree that we should do our best to write in English correctly, whether or not what we write is being read by people from other countries.

However, we have to remember that some people do have difficulties in this area, for whatever reason, and I feel we cannot be too "hard" on them for their errors. I believe everyone has a right to communicate their thoughts, and their inability to spell, or to use grammar or punctuation correctly, should not be a barrier to this. There are tools to help, such as spell checkers and grammar checkers, but they can't pick up every error, such as they're/their/there or boy's/boys'/boys.

In my profession, supporting with people who have disabilities to reach their full potential, every day I see discrimination against people with physical, mental and learning disabilities. All people are part of our society and we, as members of it, have to adapt to take account of other people's strengths and weaknesses to be truly inclusive.

Marion x

I totally agree that we should do our best to write in English correctly, whether or not what we write is being read by people from other countries.

However, we have to remember that some people do have difficulties in this area, for whatever reason, and I feel we cannot be too "hard" on them for their errors. I believe everyone has a right to communicate their thoughts, and their inability to spell, or to use grammar or punctuation correctly, should not be a barrier to this. There are tools to help, such as spell checkers and grammar checkers, but they can't pick up every error, such as they're/their/there or boy's/boys'/boys.

In my profession, supporting with people who have disabilities to reach their full potential, every day I see discrimination against people with physical, mental and learning disabilities. All people are part of our society and we, as members of it, have to adapt to take account of other people's strengths and weaknesses to be truly inclusive.

Marion x

Your point I have come to agree with is that we do need to support people who have disabilities and I now tolerate poor grammar far more than I used to. I do feel though that most people should be able to separate what they are saying into sections so it is more readable and I dont think that text talk is a disability.

Your point I have come to agree with is that we do need to support people who have disabilities and I now tolerate poor grammar far more than I used to. I do feel though that most people should be able to separate what they are saying into sections so it is more readable and I dont think that text talk is a disability.

A lot of people do find paragraphing their writing very difficult, as it is quite a complex skill. However, I think a lot of people (particularly on forums) continue typing until they are finished. They then don't think about how much they have said, and that it would be better to split it into paragraphs.

I agree with you that text talk is not a disability. It's disabling to me if someone uses it though, as I often can't understand a word they are saying!

Marion x

Even American English is different than "proper" English. Text type sometimes doesn't translate the same because our slang is different. I admit to having an advantage, my great-grandmother came straight from England when my Grandfather was about 4 so I learned some "English" as well as having geeky friends who are kind enough to translate for me.

I've never really learned text type (probably won't now either) I personally would rather have a person to person conversation or a written (electronic or otherwise) message that I can read with out having to decode. Maybe I'm lazy for not really wanting to learn text type?:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back