GREAT idea to help you students with product application!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Reaction score
Not everyone has a Nail Trainer or can afford one.

Even if you do have a Nail Trainer, this idea is even more quick and easy and cheaper to help you with product application. You don't have to use up a nail bed or to blend in any tips.

Someone here on nailgeek (I'm sorry I do not remember who to give you the credit but please feel free to take a bow) recommended it and I have tried it and it is brilliant! Thank you.

Take a large piece of blutac and form it into a small log about 2" or 5cm long and about the width of a real finger.

Simply place your tip onto the blutac quite firmly so that it looks like a full nail (you can still do this with half well tips too) and as you press you will see the blutac form an eponychium and side walls around the tip just like a real fingernail. Now you can hold it quite like a real finger and apply smile lines and zone two and 3 just as if it were a real finger. When done, you can pop it off and start afresh.

It really works, feels really comfortable to hold, and is even more realistic regarding the soft tissue around the nail than the nail trainer.

This is only for product application I haven't tried finishing to a high shine but done gently I think this too could work and you'd soon see if you went wrong and touched the 'skin' around the nail. It would teach you to work gently and with precision with your files.

Let us know how you get on!! Have fun!

very good... this sounds like a lot of fun too... the blu tac will mark where you would normally hit the skin.. very clever..

well done to who ever thought of this..
Thanks
Mel

Thats a gr8 idea and even cheaper than rubber gloves (students have done about 12 each so far this course)

What a great idea. My trainer hand has been pensioned off to a large degree lately, as I was getting a bit tired of the nail plate shapes. I've often simply pushed a piece of blutac into a tip and then fixed a cocktail stick into that in order to hold it, although this does allow me to file. I will definitely give this a try, thanks. :)

Great idea geeg, thanks to you and the person who had thought of it, this will help me out loads :hug:

I have a nail trainer which i have been using constintly last week trying to get my product application just right and i was wasting lots of money (refit nails are not cheap) and lots of time blending in the tips just to waste the whole nail at the end of it all.

I came up with the idea of practicing my product on a plastic bottle just until i got the hang of getting the ratio and brush control just right before moving onto my nails. I found it was helpful aswell because the bottle was see through so i could see exactly how thick or thin the product was as i moved the brush about.

I will give this idea a try too. xx

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel that Blue tac and White tac sales will go through the roof....worldwide, thanks to this thread!!:eek:

Really good idea, top marks to whoever thought of it and Geeg for remembering it. Thanks x

What a jolly fabulous idea! Thanks for that. I am getting through trainer nails at a rate of knots just now, and with money being a bit tight this should delay me needing to buy any more so soon.
Thank you x

Will definitely give this a go because I too have a nail trainer and can see it's going to get expensive with more practice.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Not everyone has a Nail Trainer or can afford one.

Even if you do have a Nail Trainer, this idea is even more quick and easy and cheaper to help you with product application. You don't have to use up a nail bed or to blend in any tips.

Someone here on nailgeek (I'm sorry I do not remember who to give you the credit but please feel free to take a bow) recommended it and I have tried it and it is brilliant! Thank you.

Take a large piece of blutac and form it into a small log about 2" or 5cm long and about the width of a real finger.

Simply place your tip onto the blutac quite firmly so that it looks like a full nail (you can still do this with half well tips too) and as you press you will see the blutac form an eponychium and side walls around the tip just like a real fingernail. Now you can hold it quite like a real finger and apply smile lines and zone two and 3 just as if it were a real finger. When done, you can pop it off and start afresh.

It really works, feels really comfortable to hold, and is even more realistic regarding the soft tissue around the nail than the nail trainer.

This is only for product application I haven't tried finishing to a high shine but done gently I think this too could work and you'd soon see if you went wrong and touched the 'skin' around the nail. It would teach you to work gently and with precision with your files.

Let us know how you get on!! Have fun!

Hey Geeg
That would have been my brilliant idea. lol I mentioned it on a thread on here the other day.
I have never had a nail trainer. Have used the blue tac from the start.
Karen

What a great idea, I was just about to buy some re-fit nails but will give this a try instead. Blu tack has to be cheaper :lol:

Hey Geeg
That would have been my brilliant idea. lol I mentioned it on a thread on here the other day.
I have never had a nail trainer. Have used the blue tac from the start.
Karen

Karen !!! It was you!!!
Well stand up and take a big bow because I really think your idea is a doosie!!

I've got all my students using this idea now for product application and they are getting on so well. Means they can practise applying for hours without having to do all the boring stuff like tip blending before every product application.

Now, if the ends of the fingers of the nail trainer were made of blutack instead of the big bulbous things they are and with those difficult nail shapes to contend with (I mean does anyone exist with those hideous broad, flat BIG nails? Hardly representative of what we normally see in the salon).

Anyway thank you for sharing your idea with everyone ... as a teacher I think it is terrific.

ha!

after a full day of deep thinkin in my head, I finally got what blu tac is!! woohoo!!

I will def try it too :):):)

thank you both Karen and Gigi!!

This is a fantastic idea, I have had countless nails drop off during application and had to start again :lol::lol: it's really funny when you got to the end of your nail art and the thing falls off, but never mind I can now say goodbye to "drop off nails" :)

Thank you both Karen and Gigi! I was in need of more nails for my trainer, but putting off buying until I really had to due to the cost. I've just come back from buying several packets of Blu Tack and just wanted to say that if you have a local Wilkinsons buy it there (79p), because in W H Smiths the same size packet will cost £1.49!!! That's here in Bristol. Happy Blu Tacking!!! lol (I think I've been out in the rain too long!)

what kind of shop is Wilkinson? or W H Smith?

cuz here no one seems to have Blu Tac...

what kind of shop is Wilkinson? or W H Smith?

cuz here no one seems to have Blu Tac...

They are a papeleria or in french a papel .... can't remember :rolleyes:. Papel something!!

Blue tac is the gummy stuff that you a use to hang posters onthe wall without marking it. sometimes it comes in white too.

papetrie? (I have no clue of the spelling my God...)

will check one on my way home tonight :)

Gigi.. I have had another thought on this idea..... what about pushing the tip further into the blue tac... then pulling it out a little... like what happens when your natural nails grow... then we would be able to rebalance this too...

Would that work?..
Mel

Gigi.. I have had another thought on this idea..... what about pushing the tip further into the blue tac... then pulling it out a little... like what happens when your natural nails grow... then we would be able to rebalance this too...

Would that work?..
Mel

Sure it would ... another great idea!!

Latest posts

Back