Guinea Pigs Needed!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruth Mills

Reaction score
I need guinea pigs to help me test a new web site I am designing for guinea pigs!

After seeing how the guinea pig thread was getting to several pages long, I thought it might be a nice idea to design a web site where people could register to be guinea pigs for salon treatments, and people who needed guinea pigs could search for people in their area.

So I have been an insanely busy geek the last few evenings and created a new web site Salon Guinea Pig - Find people for practising treatments, training courses, competitions, etc.

So far, all you can do is register and fill in a profile of what treatments you are happy to "pig" for - but even at this early stage it would be great to get feedback about the options I've put down for what you can choose to "pig" for and any others you would like to see - or any other funky functionality. I'll hopefully add the "search" functionality over the weekend or early next week.

I'm writing the entire thing from scratch using Java, so please bear with me!!!

N.B. The site will only be for searching for guinea pigs, I certainly don't want to compete with Salon Geek!

Brilliant site Ruth ..will be opening an account as for when i start training for other courses i still want to cover. xxx i think you should put it on as a forum same as the nail\hair\biz forums.

Cool :)

Another idea I had was to enable people to receive notifications when someone requests a guinea pig in their area for a specific course etc for a treatment they are happy to guinea pig for, and then they would receive an email; likewise if someone states they want guinea pigs for waxing and then someone new signs up in their area.

Still early stages yet though and I am just glad to get it working as far as it is... poor Sonia has had to put up with me being on a major geek out for the last few days!!! It's so funny as we sit on the sofa with our laptops and a puggy dog between us; she's playing Sudoku and other computer games and I am writing Java code!

awwww its a FAB idea...totally brilliant !
I have registered....
I love the colours used very pretty,
The notifications is a really good idea too,
I know I for one will forget to check back on the site x

awwww its a FAB idea...totally brilliant !
I have registered....
I love the colours used very pretty,
The notifications is a really good idea too,
I know I for one will forget to check back on the site x

Thanks, glad you like the colour scheme :)

Have kept it nice and simple for the time being.

Have you any ideas for other treatments you think I should add to the list?

Looks like I am going to be busy tomorrow night getting the search working lol... keeps me out of mischief anyway!

All registered here and saved to favs .the email notifications is a good idea..keep us posted Ruth xx

Last edited:
Have you any ideas for other treatments you think I should add to the list?
Possibly facial treatments ?
massage,
I know my aunty had a total nightmare trying to find people for her to practice reflexology on.
Tanning treatments
erm..........
fiberglass nails
(depends how thorough you want the list to be too I suppose)

Great idea Ruth! It looks really nice and calming and I've registered. I would suggest an area for "holistic type" therapies, like reflexology (as suggested by Emma), Hopi ear candling (LOL), reiki, and any other therapies. Definately a "massagy one" too for swedish, hot stone, and all those other ones, and maybe a fake tan one.
OOOhhh, pick me people, pick me!

Aww i'm sure lovely Sonia is just happy that your helping out and to see us all pitching in to help you ruth ...here's a list of the popular treatments and some ideas ruth(most of them i do):)

Holistic Therapies
Swedish Massage
Reiki
Hopi ear candelling
Aromatherapy massage
Reflexology
Indian head massage
La stone therapy(hot stones)
Ayurvedic and crystal healing therapy
Thai Massage

Beauty treatments
Facials
Microcurrent
Microdermabrasion
Make-up(evening\day\bridal\fashion\photographic)
Camouflage Make-up

Eye treatments
Eyelash and Eyebrow tinting
Eyelash perming
Eyelash Extensions

Electrical facial & Body treatments
Faradic
Galavanic
Iontrophesis
Vacumn suction
Desincrustation

Temporary body artistry and tanning
Henna Tattoos
Body painting
Spray tanning -Fake bake,tantrick,st tropez

Spa treatments for relaxation
Jaccuzi
Steam capsule(combination of aromatherapy oils used)
Sauna

Nail Techniques
Natural nail overlays of gel and acrylic and fibreglass
Nail enhancements gel,acrylic
Sculptured nails
Nail art
Airbrush nail art

Hair removal
Electrolysis
Threading

Hairdressing
Hair extensions
Colouring
Cutting
Perming

ohh making me all tranquil & relaxed just typing them out ...i want picked!!
I'm doing re-training in nail enhancements in september and spray tanning with lotus blossom after christmas and looking to doing a few other courses such as reflexology and Reiki so i'll be looking:)

Last edited:
This really could be helpful to so many people,
I almost gave up each stage of my nail qualifications partly due to the lack of models..
And then I did actually give up my waxing course as I had no friends who could come in on an evening.

Mabey to include in it somewhere something for local colleges so it pops up in search's that may be relevant to them too x

groovy idea Ruth!
I've registered - and I'll have a rootle around and come back with feedback. I know how much you love my feedback!
TVM :)

Great idea, just registered. I think it could be useful to have a 'comments' or similar section for the profile for additional info. ie for me, I could add that I don't have my own transport, so I can only guinea pig for someone local, unless they can make arrangements to collect me etc
Brilliant idea though :D It'll be a great resource

Ok call me thick lmfao But I read at least the title and 3 lines of your post Ruth and thought what do we need a site about guinea pigs for :o Then it clicked it wasnt the fluffy kind lol
Fab idea xxxxxxx

Right, just got back from work and have updated the list of treatments, yay! Thank you for all your cool suggestions. Now to think about a search page etc, wow am I going to be a busy geek this weekend lol...

I've registered and am just awaiting my registration email. Great idea. :)

all registered and cant wait for someone to need a piggy

I have registered too, i am in the need of some pampering after finishing my ITEC course.

Hi Ruth!

Brilliant idea! I have just registered!

Its looking good Ruth and is a great idea,
on your waxing list you don't have a section to tick for underarms or bikini,
it might be a good idea to have seanny put a link to your site from his site too as that gets a lot of visits from people in this industry hth

and i have not forgot i want you to do my website, i have not got around to it yet as i am planning on changing the name of the salon and thought this may cause problems :hug:

hi ya, just registered,
so do you get an email from someone when they need a model?
:)

Latest posts

Back