Has anyone come across this...extended hyponychium?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anna Lee

Reaction score
I have a client, she has flesh extending beyond her hyponychium underneath her nail plate. (I have attached pictures, sorry that its a little blurry)

Does anyone have any experience as to how to deal with this...? Or should it be left well alone and I just need to work around it...? Is there any way of 'shrinking it back' at all....?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• DSC00011.JPG
    DSC00011.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 5,264
  • DSC00012.JPG
    DSC00012.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 9,843
be careful not to cut it or poke or file it as it will be very sensitive.
if your client uses a good cuticle oil on it and gently eases it back after baths and showers she will be able to reduce it. although it will be unlikely to go away altogether.
on some people it is natural but on others, wearing nail enhancements protects the ends of the fingertips from the general wear and tear which usually prevents this overgrowth.

I've seen it loads and loads of times .. in fact the model I used for the solar Oil add that everyone loves so much had this and every form had to be tailored to fit around this skin overgrowth before I could sculpt them.
It is not an unusual thing but can be sensitive so leave well alone.

I've seen it loads and loads of times .. in fact the model I used for the solar Oil add that everyone loves so much had this and every form had to be tailored to fit around this skin overgrowth before I could sculpt them.
It is not an unusual thing but can be sensitive so leave well alone.

Geeg is (of course) right. I have worked with the same model many times. This is usually associated with beautiful almond shaped nails and is sometimes called a 'solehorn'. (the type of nails has a name but I can't remember it!)

The skin is full of nerve endings and blood vessels and should not be touched or softened or encouraged back. Just left! When sculpting, the form should be cut to accommodate this.

It is thought that this skin grows to support the free edge of this type of nail. It shouldn't be thought of as a problem and the client with it is lucky enough to have gorgeous nails. Take care during a manicure and leave it alone.

Oh dear... so there is no cure...

I was hoping someone would say it will shrink back by rubbing some magic potion on it... (a bit like how the cuticle eraser and solar oil reduces the eponychuim) :D

Is it best then to have her nails long or short...? They can't go too short anyway, so is it best to have the nail just where the skin finishes or a little longer so to protect that piece of skin...?

It is thought that this skin grows to support the free edge of this type of nail. It shouldn't be thought of as a problem and the client with it is lucky enough to have gorgeous nails. Take care during a manicure and leave it alone.

I have to say though Marian, this particular client does have some very nice nails...

Is that normal then...? for people to have this extended skin to commonly have nice nails too...??

I have to say though Marian, this particular client does have some very nice nails...

Is that normal then...? for people to have this extended skin to commonly have nice nails too...??

Usually, yes (I wish I could remember the name for them!! On the tip of my tongue) I know!!!! An old fashioned name: filbert nails

It doesn't need 'curing'. It is what it is

The nails can't be shorter than the skin and the length past this doesn't matter any more than for any one else.

One of my clients/friends has the same,
and she does have beautiful natural nails,

I thought it was her body's way of protecting her own nails as she has her enhancements quite long, now I know the 'facts' so thankyou :hug:

I have on occasion gone to trim her nails with nippers or refine the free edge shape with an abrasive and have accidentally touched this skin and hurt her, even though I think I have barely touched her. (sorry Sam xxx)

Now I know...

Thank you for that Marian, Gigi and Angel Fingers...

I learnt something new today... :hug:

Hi,
When i wear enhancements i get this 'skin' under my nails if i have them on for a while, but as soon as my enhancements are removed the skin does shrink back! maybe it is the length on nails that effects it.xx

Usually, yes (I wish I could remember the name for them!! On the tip of my tongue) I know!!!! An old fashioned name: filbert nails

It doesn't need 'curing'. It is what it is

The nails can't be shorter than the skin and the length past this doesn't matter any more than for any one else.

Marian, I am so glad you said this, one of my clients has this and classic filbert shaped nails, but what I find is with her I have to soak off and clip back her natural nails more often as they naturally curve down and if I didn't they would resemble claws!

She does have a beautifully long nailbed though. Am I doing the right thing?

Fifitrix, I have a few clients with nails like this also. I do not soak off and clip back. For these clients I file the length down on the enhancement to where I wish to place the smile line and file a smile line. I then sculpt my new white free edge. If the nails are worn natural overlay, I file the length down as short as I can go, bevel zone 2 forward into zone 1 then sculpt on a new extension. ifykwim:)
I to would like to hear how Mum and Gigi would handle these nails.:hug:

I have this under many of my nails. It is sometimes more pronounced than others and I've noticed that it seems to coinceide with how long I am wearing my nails be they natural or enhanced. Right now they are natural and shorter and under some of the nails it has receded almost completely. What I have found is that if it recedes naturally then its fine but under my right thumbnail a tech once cleaned the underside of my nail with her e-file and seperated it from the skin. I pulled my hand way but the damage was done and to this day that nail is very prone to getting very sore. Even opening a tight lid on a jar can cause my nail to pull away slightly from the nail bed leaving me in a lot of pain.

I use Solar Oil to keep it soft and supple and clean under my nails with a soft brush which keeps everything looking nice and clean as like the skin on my hands, this extended skin can also dry out.
:hug:

This 'solehorn' does seem to get bigger if the free edge is longer as it supports the underside of the nail.

There is no special way to deal with nails like this other than to leave this tender skin alone. Natural nails can only ever be slightly longer than the skin, never shorter.

As to the smile line, it should be placed at the point that is 'right' for the nail and finger. i.e. it enhances the natural shape. There will always be a free edge as viewed from above with these nails. It's unlikely that the created smile line needs to be moved as it is usually in the perfect place unlike nails with a short nail bed that needs a new and camouflaged smile line.

(spn01 where are you in NZ? My daughter has recently moved to Christchurch to do her PhD. PM me x)

My husband has nails like this and we have found that the most comfortable way to deal with these is to never use nail clippers just to file them. He has lovely long slim fingers and beautiful nail beds, shame he wont let me put a set of stilettos on him:green:

I have a new client with this problem.
And for us, it is indeed a problem.:cry:
She wants her nails 'shorter' because of the work she does and she's heavy handed.
BUT I can only file so far, and have to stop because of that solehorn.
She understands, but keeps asking me for a solution to 'fix' it so that she can have her nails shorter.
She says the solehorn also causes her discomfort sometimes.

I have a new client with this problem.
And for us, it is indeed a problem.:cry:
She wants her nails 'shorter' because of the work she does and she's heavy handed.
BUT I can only file so far, and have to stop because of that solehorn.
She understands, but keeps asking me for a solution to 'fix' it so that she can have her nails shorter.
She says the solehorn also causes her discomfort sometimes.

She will have to live with it .... it is not fixable. With this type of 'drawn out' nail bed the capillaries and nerves are also present and sensitive.

An extended nail bed PLUS the normal hyponychium is not just a build up of sole horn (which has no feeling); The two things are getting mixed up here in these posts.

An extended nail bed is not an 'overgrowth' of anything; it is quite natural and usually congenital and is perfectly normal for the people who have it..

Filbert nails are nails that grow right over the end of the finger and look like a filbert nut. Not all nails that have extended nail beds (NOT extended hyponychium) grow like this; some grow straight and beautifully.

It is the living nail bed that is elongated and drawn out under the nail in a characteristically oval shape; this usually has a normal hyponychium with sole horn. Sometimes there is a build up of sole horn as can happen with any persons nails.

Hi,
When i wear enhancements i get this 'skin' under my nails if i have them on for a while, but as soon as my enhancements are removed the skin does shrink back! maybe it is the length on nails that effects it.xx

What you describe is sole horn build up and not an extended nail bed, which is why you see it come and go.

People with an extended nail bed have it for life, it is part of their make up and as I said earlier it, like the rest of the nail bed, is living and has a blood and nerve supply.

Ohhhhhhhhh yes, it is a tad confused in my head. (still exhausted from weekend of fuindraising).:lol:

I'll let her know. I had hoped that the 'oil & gentle pushing" would slowly fix it. I'll let her know to stop.

And yes, she does have lovely nailbeds, and I wish she'd wear them longer.

Part of the reason she gets her nails done is that she's less likely to break/tear them and less likely to tear the (umm not sure now which word I'm using?) extended nailbed, so it's to protect it and not suffer unecessary discomfort.

Ohhhhhhhhh yes, it is a tad confused in my head. (still exhausted from weekend of fuindraising).:lol:

I'll let her know. I had hoped that the 'oil & gentle pushing" would slowly fix it. I'll let her know to stop.

And yes, she does have lovely nailbeds, and I wish she'd wear them longer.

Part of the reason she gets her nails done is that she's less likely to break/tear them and less likely to tear the (umm not sure now which word I'm using?) extended nailbed, so it's to protect it and not suffer unecessary discomfort.

That is one of the drawbacks for these ones with an extended nail bed. If they break a nail it inevitably breaks across the live part and it HURTS. Nail enhancements are a perfect solution to less breaks for these clients.

Latest posts

Back