Have I been ripped off!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leanna

Reaction score
I am a mobile beauty therapist and have recently bought a business that a local lady was selling.

She was working from home in her conservatory but wanted to sell the business because of having arthritis in her hands. To cut a long story short she has about 400 clients that I bought off her for £400.

When I went to fetch the client details she had printed me off a list of all the names address and telephone numbers of the clients.

I thought she was going to give me the client record details as well but she didnt. Now Im worried that she might use them to carry on doing treatments.

Should I get the client records off her or does she need them for account reasons.

Sorry to go on!:zzz:

I wouldnt see how shed need them for accounts reasons. So what exactly have you brought off her? Just the clients? I dont know wether i would of personally done this as you cant guarantee they will come with you just because you paid her money for them. I dont really know how that would work. But i would ask her for the client records. Have the clients agreed to this awel? Sorry for all the questions. xxx

Hi
Not sure where you stand with records cards but I don't think that she can give you them without the clients permission.

If I was you I'd write a letter to all the people she has given you explaining that the lady had packed in and the reason and that your taking over from her.

You have 400 clients details but they may not all follow, some mayb e one off's.

Good luck and don't feel down, use the situation to your advantage

Kerry

This is not necessarily a bad thing but a bit more clarification before you purchased the list would have been wise. I would have asked to see the cards to see what treatments they came for and how often. You do not want to pay for someone who came once because they were on holiday! Plus they may have come for treatments you do not provide. I would ask to see the cards even if you cannot take them to check really and see what you paid for. :wink2:

She cant give you the clients records cards, nor can she show you the cards as these are confidential.I wouldv'e thought she should have asked the clients for their permission to sell you their details as well tbh.

I think its always a bit of a risk buying clients details because there is no way of ensuring that they will come to you.It's different if you had taken over a salon as the clients usually continue coming but as a mobile therapist it's another kettle of fish.

You will get clients that dont like a therapist coming to their home.A lot like to go somewhere away from their home so they can totally chill.Some like the convenience of a mobile therapist but not all.These clients are used to going to the therapists home(conservatory)so dont be surprised if you dont get a huge amount of custom from your list you have bought.

Good luck though cherub,hope you get a positive response.xx

Babsann is right that she cannot give you the info without their permission - but I am presuming that she asked this when deciding to sell her client list! Please check with her as she may be violating the data protection act.:wink2:

She cant give you the clients records cards, nor can she show you the cards as these are confidential.I wouldv'e thought she should have asked the clients for their permission to sell you their details as well tbh.

I think its always a bit of a risk buying clients details because there is no way of ensuring that they will come to you.It's different if you had taken over a salon as the clients usually continue coming but as a mobile therapist it's another kettle of fish.

You will get clients that dont like a therapist coming to their home.A lot like to go somewhere away from their home so they can totally chill.Some like the convenience of a mobile therapist but not all.These clients are used to going to the therapists home(conservatory)so dont be surprised if you dont get a huge amount of custom from your list you have bought.

Good luck though cherub,hope you get a positive response.xx

good post

In response to your thread's title, yeah you have been ripped off.

But you can demand it back on the basis that she has carried out an illegal activity by selling you those details.

I am a mobile beauty therapist and have recently bought a business that a local lady was selling.

She was working from home in her conservatory but wanted to sell the business because of having arthritis in her hands. To cut a long story short she has about 400 clients that I bought off her for £400.

When I went to fetch the client details she had printed me off a list of all the names address and telephone numbers of the clients.

I thought she was going to give me the client record details as well but she didnt. Now Im worried that she might use them to carry on doing treatments.

Should I get the client records off her or does she need them for account reasons.

Sorry to go on!:zzz:

Hmmmm. If she has given you a list of genuine active clients then you haven't been ripped off.

It is legal for her to sell the data to you if it is her intention to transfer the business of those clients. Data Protection Act doesn't apply in this situation.

If she has given you a list of 400 people who she has transacted with over 5 years then the list is of dubious value. When is a client, not a client? I think a three month cut-off date is reasonable. What I mean by this is any "client" who hasn't had a transaction with the business within the last three months is not an active client. A past client yes, a potential prospect for marketing too yes.

The problem you face is based upon what your actual agreement with the lady is. It is a concern that if she agreed to "sell" you the business that she hasn't transferred the client details. By my definition the business in this case is the full records, so if you haven't got full records then you haven't received "the business." However if you were actually negotiating for a list then the lady has done no wrong.

The advice, based on what you understand of your side is to go back to the lady and request the full client details if it is the "business" that you agreed to buy. I would also ask her for a copy of her appointment book/diary so you know who is due back, when and for what treatment at what price.

As for the price, £400 could be cheap, IF the list contains active clients.
Lets say you get 100 active clients off the list who are willing to use your services, you do 10 a week and take say £25.00 off each one. Your stock cost should be less than 10% plus travel. In effect you pay off the £400 in two weeks. Four weeks at 5 per week.

It is very important to write to the 400 clients quickly explaining the friendly transfer due to ill health and listing your services, prices. Secondly you should begin phoning the list straight after this to begin booking clients.

For anyone planning something like this always, always make a simple agreement in writing agreeing what exactly is happening.

It never ever does any harm to pay a free 1st visit to a solicitor for some basic advice or your local business link.

Good luck.

It depends on the terms of sale. Some have said she can't sell you the client details / records as they are confidential.

So if I was to go and buy a Salon of someone, would they then have to destroy all of their client records, client database? No you are buying the business, and that data is part of it.

Not sure how the sale was agreed here, but it is possible to transfer those over with the sale of a business.

Mat

Yes, you can take over client records/personal records if it's part of a business that you are buying but a business cannot, just, sell or give away personal details to any third party

Latest posts

Back