have you ever watered down spray tan solution?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sodabubble

Reaction score
A tan tech mate of mine was telling me the other day how one of her 8% ladies came in as a walk in, and she had ran out of 8% so used 10% slightly watered down and the result was great, the client was none the wiser and so chuffed she came in for a top up a few days later!

I have never heard of this before, is it possible to do if you are waiting for delivery?

OMG I am shocked by this!!! as I am sure you are surprised.

It's like watering down monomer!

We aren't chemists and should be careful.

For one the solution won't work as effectively and two I think it's quite unprofessional. Having plenty of stock in would help this problem. I always have 2 - 3 bottles in the fridge at any one time to make sure I have enough at all times.

I have never ever heard of it before - thats why I posted on here. I too don't think its very pro but as I have never heard it thought I would ask! The funny thing is, this is a big spa we are talking about not little biz's like most on here!

My solution goes green when in contact with water. HTH

well i have never put my solution in contact with water so I dont know, was just asking as I have never heard of it before! It's not something I want nor need to do :)

Most tan solutions are either oil based or alcohol based. we can defiantly rule out the oil based solution was being used as water will not mix with oil. As for the alchohol based solutions these are usually the cheaper end of the market solutions. So if you water these down imagine cheap being cheaper.

this is something I would defiantly not recommend.

OMG i would never do that

No I have never heard of that either, nor would I pass it on as professional advice from a fellow professional ... I am suprised that she told you this :eek:

If you ever get in a position where you have run out of 8%, use 10% and advise to remove after 4 hour development time!! HTH's

I have sprayed a client one shade darker and told them to shower a few hours earlier but never watered it down!

just goes to show that you can pay a premium price at a spa and not get a premium service! Glad I posted this thread - hope she doesnt see it or she may not be my mate anymore lol x

My solution goes green when in contact with water. HTH

I wondered why my bottle of solution had turned green (on the outside). It must of happened when I wiped it down with a wet cloth.

Imagine that on your skin:eek:

OMG-Thats bad & i bet she stll charged full price?How does she sleep a night knowing she has cheated a customer!

The majority of spray tanning solutions are made up of water, this being the largest ingredient in the product, you only have to look at the ingredient listing on the label to see it.

The problem you can get with adding water to solutions is that it not only dilutes the DHA which is the active ingredient but also unbalances the rest of the ingredients in the solution. So whilst when a quick fix is needed, ie if a client is particularly pale and you only have a high percentage DHA solution, it can be diluted with purified water, not your regular tap water, and not cause any harm to your client.

The best way to operate is obviously have a good selection of solutions in stock, even if the least used ones are purchased in smaller quantities, then you won't have to worry about how much to dilute the following time . . . .

As for solutions going green, this is when an artificial colourant is added to the solution to create a brown solution, ie red, yellow and blue mixed together will make brown (good choice of colour for a colourguide for tanning solution . . .) when the red breaks down due to time, air exposure or heat, this will leave the yellow and blue . . . . mixed together these colours will turn green, hence the green solutions!

Personally I preferred to use Tantricks solution which had a natural colourant and then the solution never went green. The best way to test it is drop some solution onto a tissue, if there are artificial colourings in it the tissue will show pinks, blues, yellows and greens!!

Hope this sheds some light and helps!

Mandy x

:irked:
Im really erked by this thread. As a therapist I wouldnt dream of offering my clients anything than what they asked for and if I couldnt do the treatment for lack of solution, I would use another shade and as mentioned before, get them to shower earlier or offer a top up!.

Its not very professional in my opinion to run out of stock and decieve the client in this way...it opens up the door to other treatments being misold and gives us Beauticians/spray technicians a bad name......

Last edited:
No way would I do this, I cant believe a big spa would do this!

Nothing surprises me these days, there is a very large spa in the South which apparently uses weetabix as part of it's facial scrubs when it has run out of product. They charge all that money - for something you could stick on your face in a morning:o

Disgusting ! :twisted:

There are things out there a lot worst than the weetabix on your face a facial scrub, believe me. I could write a book on what I see.

I know I have worked in the dodgiest salon in Britain lol!

"Here learn this hot stone massage. There's a dvd. Take it home watch it and I'll get you someone to practice on and then we will book you some clients in".

Just an example of the few things this silly salon owner tried to get me to do..cowboy

Im interested in the salon in the south! as thats where I live!:lol:I know it cant be moi....as im mobile lol but I have a feeling it may be quite near to me

How far south are we talking ? id be interested to know too :irked:

Latest posts

Back