Have You Noticed Less Clients Since The Recession?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deeply_Relaxing

Reaction score
It seems to me that even the most deprived high streets have:

1. A bookies
2. A tanning or nails shop

I reckon that the beauty and treatments business must be pretty recession proof, perhaps its a break away from reality for a lot of people, what do you reckon? Maybe it's harder for those not established to find clients?

Let me know........

I only work a three day week and have to say I'm booked out solid!

I've had clients tell me they've lost their jobs and they have no money, yet they still come to get their nails done.

I wouldn't like to be starting out though, I've built up my clientele over the years.

I do think that clients want value for money and if you aren't doing a great job, they certainly won't be back!

As I suspect, very fortunately beauty is a 'can't do without' along with shoes I suspect for ladies. Speaking as a bloke, it seems Sky Sports is also recession proof, any others?

The recession hit us hard in the beginning forcing us to close one side of our business. We moved location to the outskirts of the town we were all ready in and i can honestly say it was the best thing we ever did. in the last 18 months our business has gone from strength to strength. Our takings in the first year were well over 100% up on the previous and this year they are beating lasts hands down. So for us its all good although i do think you have to be careful. Most of my clients do see their treatment as a must do rather than a may do.

The recession hit us hard in the beginning forcing us to close one side of our business. We moved location to the outskirts of the town we were all ready in and i can honestly say it was the best thing we ever did. in the last 18 months our business has gone from strength to strength. Our takings in the first year were well over 100% up on the previous and this year they are beating lasts hands down. So for us its all good although i do think you have to be careful. Most of my clients do see their treatment as a must do rather than a may do.

Good for you! Do you think your success is down to you streamlining your business, or your new location, or a combination of the two? x

I have just started self employed afte having my first baby and I am finding it quite difficult to get my name out there and am not that busy at all. I am hoping this will change as it has only been 2 months. How long would you say it took for you guys to get booked up solid? I can't wait!! :)

Yes, recession hit me a little bit too.
I have several clients that were retail clerks and waitresses, and their hours were cut.
Also 2 clients were 'laid off'. A few have come back already, a couple of others I'm sure will be back too when things get better for them and they're 'caught up' in their expenses.

Hasn't been easy, especially since I work from home and can't take walk-ins.

Been offering a few specials and such. It helps. Looking forward to Xmas.
In the meantime, working on other ideas to expand my business next spring. Pursuing the idea of educating. Taking the opportunity to complete some projects and such.

It'll get better. It always does.

My treatments are aesthetics and I've not had my business affected, there are a few clients who try to extend their treatment times a little but generally they don't want to do this. Some of my clients have lost their job but they still manage to come to me for their usual pick me up.

A lot of my clients are what we call the "blue rinse brigade" and I tell you these ladies do coffee, they do slimming word, they do line dancing THEY GOSSIP! and they will not let mrs.x down the road know that they are struggling for money, so much so that they will have their hair and nails and waxing done every week and they will tell their daughters, nieces, grand daughters to visit the salon to because mrs.x is talking about our families money situation!

If anything I have gotten busier since the ressesion!

xxx

Good for you! Do you think your success is down to you streamlining your business, or your new location, or a combination of the two? x

I think both to be honest, when we moved we did have an image change but so did our focus. This was the last chance saloon if you like so it has had an almighty injection of hard work and long hours but it is paying off.xx

A lot of my clients are what we call the "blue rinse brigade" and I tell you these ladies do coffee, they do slimming word, they do line dancing THEY GOSSIP! and they will not let mrs.x down the road know that they are struggling for money, so much so that they will have their hair and nails and waxing done every week and they will tell their daughters, nieces, grand daughters to visit the salon to because mrs.x is talking about our families money situation!

If anything I have gotten busier since the ressesion!

xxx

Some of my clients have admitted that they have created a certain image for themselves over the years and are used to having their hair and nails done on a regular basis.

They feel if they don't have their nails done, they'd be letting people know they were struggling with money, so aren't willing to do that.

Although most of my clients just love to have their nails done and feel it's a real treat, they don't go out anymore, but don't want to give up getting their nails done and will sacrifice something else so they won't have to.

(like the mortgage :lol:)

I think both to be honest, when we moved we did have an image change but so did our focus. This was the last chance saloon if you like so it has had an almighty injection of hard work and long hours but it is paying off.xx

Well good on you and your team and I hope your success continues x

I launched at the very start of the world money worries - and haven't looked back! Sure - there are always going to be a few worries with any new venture - but I think that any business that serves the emotional needs of customers is very high up the list of 'essentials'.

IMHO review your marketing to help your customers 'feel' nicer about themselves.

I moved to new premisis in April, knowing I was taking a risk but I've just got busier and busier. You have to make sure you are attractive to peoples emotional needs too, by that I mean able to help them to switch off from all other worries for a little while. Be competative with pricing but know your limits and most of all promote your backside off!!

When we first hit the credit crunch, 2 odd years ago, we were hit hard up North. I constantly had clients coming in telling me how either they were being made redundant or their partner was. I lost a lot of clients to home hairdressing. The ones I kept were professionals, i.e teachers, solicitors etc. So I didn't really see a downturn in spend, just fewer clients. As it has eased and people are becoming more confident about spending money on themselves. I have had a few clients come back that I have not seen for a while and an influx of new clientèle that had, had a run of job related, bad luck.

The funny thing is GHD sales have gone from strength to strength through this. Last year I was crowned one of the top UK sellers and barely a day goes by when I don't either sell a set or set up a payment scheme for a set. The only conclusion I can draw from this, is that as clients were coming less frequently, they wanted to invest in GHDs so they could achieve the 'salon look' at home.

I still think we have a long road to take in leaving this recession behind but if clients are beginning to spend then it is the first step to making the economy stronger.

I opened our salon in april 2008 and to be honest we are getting steadiy busier and busier. I have seen two salons near me go recently and its very sad. I opened praying this would have ended by now but it seems it is here to stay fro a few more years and so be it.

My clients tell me they used to have waxing and nails and tans done etc, but now only pick one that they cant live without. thats fair enough adn i am truely grateful they come through the door at all and so do regular offers to try and give them the chance to treat themselves a bit more often. We open our second shop in two weeks, so we must be doing ok..............but I cant wait for this all to end and for us to be able to take decent wages and make some hard earned cash.

tigi
xxx

I have tried to start up my mobile beauty and tanning this year and it is difficult and not going too well. I'm going to have to get another job as I am really struggling financially. I think its especially hard for mobile as you have to work twice as hard to get your name out there....

Clients are definately leaving longer between appointments and we are working harder to get them to spend. They also seem to be booking more last minute than in advance. I think they wait to see if they have the money first before they book.

People still want to look good. Look good = feel good.
Working somewhere outside of a coalmine? Look good!
Job interview? Look good!
Night out? Look good!

I established my nail and tanning salon in 2006. Was slow to take off at first but reached a peak in 2008 and then suddenly.....went sooooo dead!!!

Now we are finding we are having to build clientèle back up again...ALL our new clients come from having found our website on google...our parade is now like a ghost town with hardly any passing trade at all....IF IT WASN'T FOR GOOGLE AND SHELLAC then ..well god knows..

We still have clients that i have been doing since 2006...but i have some that have been made redundant and have had to cut back...

Having just had my little boy in February and sacked a really bad( in terms of quality of treatments)member of staff..i came back to work in march and now do nails three days a week...and i am booked solid...If you want an appointment you will need to book at least two weeks in advance...

Having said that..there is enough work for three days a week and NOT anymore...

Having over spent and made some costly mistakes since 2006 my salon is now coming to an end....yes i have made it through(what we hope was the worst)of the recession...but not without big debts and bankruptcy looming over my head...i am on ante depressants and cant imagine life without my baby salon...but being sensible....I am not working my ass off for the fun of it....and thats what i have done for the last 5 years....I love nails..i love my job..if i didnt and it was all about the money i would of given up a long time ago
:cry:

Latest posts

Back