"Having your nails done could increase the risk of cancer!"

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
blimey.....my lil essay of a comment has also been posted as well, haha!!!

Well I just submitted a comment. One of the things I said was, that times were hard enough for small businesses just now without miss information and scare mongering by the press. I said, I think I could make as strong a case for newspaper print being the cause for cancer as I'm quite sure that most women who have their nails done also read the newspapers.

Well I just submitted a comment. One of the things I said was, that times were hard enough for small businesses just now without miss information and scare mongering by the press. I said, I think I could make as strong a case for newspaper print being the cause for cancer as I'm quite sure that most women who have their nails done also read the newspapers.

Brilliant Gigi

If its not one thing then it is another. What next I ask? In fact is there anything else left to blame I wonder. I'm sure they will find it if there is.

I have also replied and lets hope it makes them think twice before they badmouth our industry :)

I replied earlier on today and it's not been published yet... not surprising really when I told them to look at our site and also to ensure that their journalists get their facts right before scaremongering the public :twisted:

Well done to those who have had their replies published on there :hug:

Well it seems they published part of my reply but not the bit about newspaper print causing cancer or their article being detrimental to small businesses or irresponsible reporting .... no surprises there then.

None of my reply was published.........and I was quite restrained really:rolleyes:

hehe, I saw that Gigi (love the analogy). Funnily enough they haven't printed either of my comments one of which suggested that reading Daily Mail causes brain tumours (I am sure we could find victims of brain tumours that have read Daily Mail before).

Here is a statement I did for Alex on the subject:

Samuel Sweet said:
I was made aware of the story a few hours after it broke thanks to the power of salongeek.com

The story is pure sensationalism and completely unfounded. It’s an evil syndrome for magazine and newspaper publishers that can be expressed mathematically as: Slow News Day = Slow Sales Day(so sensationalise something!). Publishers and “journalists” use sensationalism to scare people into believing something inane and ordinary can kill them because fear sells the story.

The articles in question state that 2 women have been reported to have skin cancer on their right hand and that both have had nail treatments using UV lamps. Oddly enough, hundreds of thousands (if not millions) have had similar treatments since UV technology was introduced to the industry a good 20 years ago yet all of those people have healthy, happy right hands! Just to put things into perspective, according to the articles claims you would have better odds to be hit by lightning multiple times over than of actually get skin cancer from the UV light used in a nail treatment. Speaking of odds, I find it incredibly odd that both articles fail to mention that when a client leaves the salon, they will get far more UVA exposure simply walking to their car. I can see tomorrows headlines now: “Walking to your car causes cancer!”

I think Thomas Edison said it best with “If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed. If you DO read the newspaper, you are misinformed”.

The truth is that UVA light produced in nail lamps are far safer than equivalent time exposed to sunlight. Hell, nail lamps won’t even give you a tan.

And here is Dougs excellent statement:

Doug Schoon said:
I don't think this is much of a "story". These lamps have been used many millions of times. The report involved one person who was exposed 8 times and one who claims to have been getting nails done for 15 years.

Eight exposures to a light that creates about the same UV concentration as a summer sun seems EXCEEDINGLY unlikely to be a source of this problem. She’s likely to get more UV light exposure by going to the beach for the weekend. This claim pure nonsense.

So we’re left with one person. To base all of this all on one person is clearly irresponsible and not good science. These lights have been in use for almost 20 years without problems. There’s no reason at all to suspect nail lamps other than by casual association. In short, there is no reason to believe that nail lamps are a problem and this doctor is the only "speculating". Unfortunately, she is "speculating" at the expense of many people's livelihood.

Tanning beds put out far more UV light than the nail lamps and the exposure time is far shorter. I suspect that both of these people were exposed to far more natural sunlight than to nail lamps, yet nail lamps are implicated. This is yet one more example of how the media whips the public into hysteria over issues based on little to no evidence or information.

Right ... so what I think is that all we technicians should be ready if and when a client brings up this topic in our business.

I would print out the reply from The GMG
I would print out the reply from Doug Schoon
I would print out the reply from Collin re UV Lamps

THEN I would give them an added extra. This next idea comes from Adele Keegan as we were talking this morning and I thought it was brilliant and simple and she didn't have time to post it.

She said, "Why don't we all invest in a bottle of Factor 30 sun tan lotion and IF the client is really concerned (even though she doesn't have to be) we can offer it to them FOC to apply to their hands prior to preparation and before they use the Lamp.

Now is that not a great solution and a simple one and it shows real empathy for the client's concerns and service and it is thanks to Adele!!!

Right why don't you guy's bring in the really BIG guns who will wipe the floor with this issue.
The sunbed association (TSA) is the leading experts in the field when it comes to dealing with UV issues...they respond to negative publicity as well as are focal in policing sun bed shops and basically keeping the wraps on the whole sunbed bag..they also lobby parliament and are heavily involved in working with government in so far as codes of practice.

Now Cathy Banks heads the TSA..I know her well and she is a lovely lady.....the TSA is a non profit making organization....im completely sure if one of you nail peeps gives her a call up..explains the publicity and how concerned you are in so far as the implications to the industry are ...much in the same way as the sunbed world...im convinced she will get onto them strait away and blow them to bits.

Cathy Banks (mention my recommendation for you to contact them...That's Collin -former UVL MD and TSA board member) tele 01494 785941

Believe me ...get them onto the case and they will give there all..they have a large armory of very BIG guns and know what they are talking about :hug:

Way to go for the Geeks that managed to get anything published in the comments section - I've probably commented on a dozen stories in the past month (usually rather scathing, admittedly!) and none of my comments have ever made the list, even if there are zero comments on the story when I post mine.

Someone at the Daily Mail hates me. Probably all for the best! :lol:

Well what a suprise, they didn't publish my reply either..... Obviously to truthfull and not sensational enough lol......

They say they MODERATE posts but that is not what they are doing .. they are SENSORING them.

I thought we had the right to free speech in the UK?? I thinjk it is outrageous and I would have thought is was also illegal.

It is amazing what the Media can start, without finding out all facts. OMG if we actually listened to them, we'd all be living in a bubble....

What is the best way to contro people? Scare tactics.. simple.

It is amazing what the Media can start, without finding out all facts. OMG if we actually listened to them, we'd all be living in a bubble....

What is the best way to contro people? Scare tactics.. simple.

the problem is that unfortunatly there are some people that actually do listen to them.....and it is those people who are potentially our customers so quite damaging to our businesses..... its sooo wrong that they are editing the posts that show the report in a negative light.

Last edited:
the problem is that unfortunatly there are some people that actually do listen to them.....and it is those people who are potentially our customers so quite damaging to our businesses..... its sooo wrong that they are editing the posts that show the report in a negative light.

They are not editing they are censoring7sensoring!! Different thing. They are altering our posts to favour their own point of view. THAT is wrong ,,, just plain wrong. It is against our constitution/rights!!

Latest posts

Back