HELP! Eyebrow wax gone wrong!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tips_n_toes

Reaction score
Hey there I have been waxing for about 6 years now and just the other day I did an Eyebrow wax for an 18 year old girl. They looked pink as they often do after we waxed but later on she said they started to feel tight and hurt a bit.

I had her come in and see me today. It looks like the first layer of skin has come off! I was shocked! I have never had this happen to me.

I always test the wax on the in side of my wrist so I know the temp, I always ask the client how it feels when it is being applied. I remove any eye make up, and use the cleanser that matches the wax, dry the are with a new cotton pad, apply the wax as you would and remove. after we are finished fussing about I apply Aloe gel to soothe the area.

I asked her:

if she had been tanning before we waxed - NO
new fax cleanser/moisture treatmet - NO
did she tan after her wax - NO
Had she any allergies - NO
Did the wax feel hot - NO
Did it hurt more than usual - NO

I didn"t ask her if she was any new mediacations though... Do you think this might be the reason?

I feel terrible and it looks bad. i gave her her money back and appolgized over and over.

What could have caused this? Has this ever happened to any of you? What did you do?

First of all, don't panic. Her skin will recover, honest! She will appreciate the refund and you will likely get her back as a repeat customer because of the way you dealt with her.

Are you using strip or non strip?
Do you use oil on the skin before waxing?

I don't wax eyebrows, I tweeze them. I'm starting a VTCT course in Threading in September so I shall be offering that too.

Try not to fret about this. Easier said than done, I know!

Yes medication can make a difference but I was wondering about skincare products. AHA based products especially can also make the skin more sensitive - this has happened to me when it normally does not. Check her products. It can be that she is is also hypersensitive due to the time of the month. I always use the same consultation cards for all treatments except electrolysis (where they are even more detailed) as I can then get a very in depth background of the clients history - even for an eyebrow wax. :)

Medications and creams for acne can cause thinning of the skin and give this result, hth

If this was her first time with you, maybe she did have an allergy to the wax or aftercare lotion. Maybe try patch testing her next time she comes in to make sure.

Maybe she just had sensitive skin. Or perhaps she did something to herself later? Make-up maybe?

Apply oil under your wax. Make sure that your wax is nice and thin as wax that is too thick will tug at the skin as you remove it. Make sure you stretch the skin when applying and when removing the wax. Apply soothing lotion.

Things like this can happen for no reason at all so take it in your stride. If it happened more than once, then you would need to look at yourself.

You dealt with it really well. ccc

I'm new to waxing and not as expert as the rest but when I test the wax I do so on the inside of the client's wrist as well as my own. The temperature may well seem ok for you but too hot for the client.

Just another suggestion............
I once had this happen to me, but the girl was almost anorexic and I believe that I stretched the brow just a little too much on the one eye and, because there wasn't much flesh...........it came up red and sore. :eek:
I've been waxing for 4 years and this was the only time and only one of her brows !

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions!

I have been waxing her for about a year and never had ths happen. I asked her about her skin care and such and she swears she didn't change anything...I still feel bad but I have spoke to some of my friends and they tell me that they have had this happen before.

I had it happen to me once... bikini wax... thought it was just sensitive skin...but this scared the bejiggers outta me.

thanks guys you are great help!:Grope:

Hiya,

This is something me and another girl where i work has managed to do various times for absolutely no reason at all! Neither of us could find a fault for it, we both did it for a dozen or so times over a few months each at separate times.

Now we just make sure we've oiled well before hand and don't pull too hard especially on weaker skin and if I've got an older lady in I'll just pluck as i soo paranoid now that I'll burn her too!

Just stick it out and it'll be fine. Don't worry if you do it a few times, just try make that on your friends and family! hahaha!

reading this thread with interest. i have been waxing for a year now. silly question perhaps, but if you oil the skin surely the wax will not adhere to the hair?

you apply the merest smidge of oil to the skin, you're not dressing a salad!

I was wondering the same thing, do you oil pre warm waxing or are you talking about hot oil waxing? and what kind of oil do you use? How do you apply it, with a cotton pad? Thanks new to this too.

I use oil on all waxing - hot and warm. I use Perron Rigot's Jasmine oil, but you can use any light carrier oil - grapeseed is fine. I put a drop or two into my palm, rub my palms together, blot any excess onto the couch roll and then rub on the skin.

hi, just glancing through and i noticed the exact same thing happened to me! it happened after my boyfriend came in to have his 'mono' done. he said it didnt feel too sore at the time but it looked more pink than when i usually do it on him...the only thing that has changed is he started using a cream to treat acne beacuse like you everything was done properly and nothing else had changed apart from this, the cream is prescribed by a doctor and has a high concentrate of vitamin a. On the box it said to avoid direct, prolonged sunlight, so i think the heat is what has caused it! it healed fine though and now we stick to plucking his. Not sure if this is definately the same as what happened with you but it sounds similar!​

The easiest way to bruise a brow is to apply the wax too cold. It sets too thick and this causes the skin to bounce and bruise. Have you wax nice and warm and thin. xx

Latest posts

Back