Help, what’s my qualification?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
hello lovlies!

so I have completed the following course
https://www.onlineacademies.co.uk/details/427/nail-technician-professional-gel-diploma

Now i would like to be able to offer gel polish, nail art of all types, extensions (so i have booked onto a free form sculpting diploma) and hard gel nails not acrylic.

What would you say the course i have done covers me to do? As I am getting very confused now. I thought it covered me to do hard gel but someone i was chatting to has just told me it is a gel enhancement qualification. Is that not the same thing?

I am hoping someone here can lend me some wisdom

charlotte xx
https://www.onlineacademies.co.uk/details/427/nail-technician-professional-gel-diploma

Firstly, I would phone around a few of the well known insurance companies - Salon Gold, The Guild of Beauty Therapists, Towergate etc, and see if they recognise your qualification and will insure you.

I may have missed something, but it doesn't look as though there was any practical assessment of your work? If this is the case I'm not sure how you could be qualified to perform any of the treatments covered? If your practical work HAS been assessed though before they issued your diploma, then it appears you would be qualified to perform a manicure, apply nail tips and hard gel enhancements
/overlays and perform infills and removals. It doesn't mention gel polish application so you would need to do that separately. (Usually just a 1 day practical course)

In the U.K. You don't actually have to have a qualification to be a nail tech (unfortunately!), but you would not be able to get valid insurance, which is essential.

I don't know anything about the course you have done but I think you will find that the vast majority of nail techs would recommend doing a recognised course with a practical element as you really do need the hands on experience with a tutor to hand to advise you. it's fine to learn the theory and A&P online though x

Thank you very much for your reply. I have already found insurance for the course from a few different insurers before i started it.

I am being mentored but needed the certification as i wanted insurance to cover myself and clients when i start to offer treatments in the future. As well as while I am learning.

While looking at the list of things that can be insured I noticed the wide variety of different certifications avail in nails and it threw me some what. Thank you for clarifying what my course has covered me for. I can now begin practicing that with my mentor.

I will see if i can find a gel polish course to add to my insurance :)

thank you x

Thank you very much for your reply. I have already found insurance for the course from a few different insurers before i started it.

I am being mentored but needed the certification as i wanted insurance to cover myself and clients when i start to offer treatments in the future. As well as while I am learning.

While looking at the list of things that can be insured I noticed the wide variety of different certifications avail in nails and it threw me some what. Thank you for clarifying what my course has covered me for. I can now begin practicing that with my mentor.

I will see if i can find a gel polish course to add to my insurance :)

thank you x
I'm pleased you managed to sort insurance out and that's great that you have a mentor . It's so useful to have someone to help you get to grips with the practical side. Good luck with your new career x

Don’t do it!

If you are serious about becoming a Nail Technician, invest in good quality training as a priority.
If you can’t afford it at the moment, save up.
You’ll never regret money spent on high quality training but so many geeks have previously posted how they wasted money doing an online course or a 1 day course at someone’s house, then had to retrain with a recognised brand, later on.

It’s just a flashy website. I notice that the company accredit themselves...! That’s a red flag for starters.
They also include the ABC awards logo on their website yet ABC don’t have anything to do with hair and beauty qualifications.

This is taken from their website...

What are gel nails?
Gel nails are fake nails that can be applied to a client’s fingers to closely resemble the natural nail. They are very similar to acrylic nails however they tend to be more flexible.

That really isn’t something I’d expect to read in a professional training course manual.
Either go to college and study for a VRQ or go with a reputable training company such as Young Nails, Creative Academy, Nail Harmony etc...

Gel polish and hard gel enhancements are two different courses my lovely xx You need to do a hard gel extension course to get qualified and insured to provide that service. Gel polish is literally just gel polish xx

I think gel enhancement are taught on this by the looks of it .

Unit 6: Starting on Tips

By the end of this unit the learner will be able to:

To be able to identify the correct tools, equipment and products required
To understand the importance of minimising waste
To understand the importance of health and safety throughout the service
To select, prepare and apply tips correctly

Unit 7: Application of Gel

Understand the chemistry of Gel
Understand the stages of Gel and effect of lamp
Understand the application of gel in zones
Demonstrate the correct application of beads
Finish the product to create a smooth, glossy surface

I think gel enhancement are taught on this by the looks of it .

Unit 6: Starting on Tips

To be able to identify the correct tools, equipment and products required
To understand the importance of minimising waste
To understand the importance of health and safety throughout the service
To select, prepare and apply tips correctly

Unit 7: Application of Gel

Understand the chemistry of Gel
Understand the stages of Gel and effect of lamp
Understand the application of gel in zones
Demonstrate the correct application of beads
Finish the product to create a smooth, glossy surface

and thats the same as hard gel isn't it?x

Only you will know if they taught you with a 'hard gel / builder gel . Did you apply the tip and then build a structure with a clear gel ?

It would help if you showed us the jar it came in or name of the brand

Then that should be a gel extension . But without seeing the jar with the gel you used it is impossible to say x

Yes sounds like hard gel. If you were just covering tips with gel polish, the course would have been Party Nails xx

thanks guys xx

Latest posts

Back