Help! with C-curve/arches and increase speed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doblush

Reaction score
I qualified a couple of years ago, but havent really had a chance to get stuck in (till now).... kids, move to Ireland from UK etc. I love it when I have a chance to transform a client's hands with french tips with gel overlays or french white gel. I enjoyed acrylic too, but toooooo much filing as I wasnt too hot when it came to application technique. Can anyone suggest for an intermediate-stage technician like myself, the best type of gels, and tips for that matter, as I have totally flat nails and spend 4everrrr trying to build a c-curve/arch. Once I finally get it done, they are nice but way way too time consumining. I have read some of Sassy Hassy's replies on 'freeze curing' which were invaluable, but could you briefly summarise how you would build an arch swiftly, with minimal buffing at the end (I have to smooth them down (more time wasted!), inorder for them to look smooth and sleek.... many many thanks...all suggestions greatly appreciate, cos I really want to get stuck in now the 'baby' is going to nursery more. :D P.s. I luurrrrve this site... the ironing is never gonna get done ever again!

Good luck and keep practicing-the ironing can wait!

i suppose it all depends on the viscosity of the gel you use... does it sit where you place it or run everywhere once it's on the nail?
have a read of a tutorial by Geeg, Brush Control When Using Gel it's very clearly written and should help x

If you need to build a good arch on a flat nail then you need a good gel, and I can wholeheartedly endorse Creative's brisa (you'll need the lamp too though). A lot of gels are too self levelling and you either have to work with the speed of the Tasmanian devil or you are forever lock couring which gets you out of a rhythm in your application. They just spread like runny treacle and are a nightmare.

With Brisa I apply to all four fingers and then lock cure and then apply thumb and cure all five. It holds its place well on the nail and has a slight self level so it eases into place nicely without you having to play with it too much. I keep my gel slightly warm too (I sit it on top of my towel heater cabinet) and I find it makes it slightly runnier, but I can work so much swifter and personally I prefer it with a slightly runnier viscosity.

Have a look at Geeg's tutorial on how to apply Brisa, this is the way to build a perfect c-curve, it's the way I was taught and I can vouch that it works very well.

As for tips make sure they are made from ABS plastic. I used to use The Tip Company ones, but I hear they are no more, so I am gradually switching over to Creative - the Eclipse tip is great for a flat nail, particularly if you have deep side walls like mine

ps what's ironing? I can't remember!

Thanks guys. Just printed off the article on Brush control. Gonna make a cuppa, put boys to bed and sit down and read. Can wait to try this out, waiting to break a tip just to practice ....:)

Sorry, one more thing, there was a tutorial on this site showing sculpting. I take it, that is acrylic. When I dabbled with acrylic, I was using NSI (and briefly EZflow), both left my nails in a pretty bad way, and I was told by a nail supplier that its because acrylic gets into the actual nail plate which is why it makes it the strongest ehancement. Is this correct? or have I been misinformed. Are there any 'kinder' acrylic systems out there??
Thanks again.

Sod the ironing!

Its not the product that leaves them in a bad way - its really down to the tech!

I think that is problem in my case. I never really had the same extensive training/practice with acrylic as I did with gel. Maybe I might get back to practising. Am I right in thinking that it is the strongest overlay? Which is a good product to use?

Sorry chuck I didn't mean it personally

HI hun

I wear long almond / stiletto Brisa sculpts and find them as strong as when i was wearing l&p

ironing .....you obviously havent read your aftercare advice .... under no circumstances should you be doing any ironing or housework for 2-3 weeks after nail enhancements have been applied or maintained!:wink2:

kx

doblush said:
I think that is problem in my case. I never really had the same extensive training/practice with acrylic as I did with gel. Maybe I might get back to practising. Am I right in thinking that it is the strongest overlay? Which is a good product to use?

lol... I have tried that aftercare advice on my husband, he's not having none of it ...lol Judy1999, no offence taken. I wish I had the same training on acrylic as I did gel, but unfortunately that system wasnt used on my C&G course and a 2day NSI acrylic course, does not maketh 'Nail Technician of the Year'....if only:sad: .
Loads of technos on this site are always referring to Brisa, for gel and acrylic, is this a really easy system to use?

Latest posts

Back