Home salon upstairs?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lisa82

Reaction score
Hi geeks :biggrin:
Any of you that have a home salon, do so from an upsairs room? And does it work out ok?
How do you find it works with clients coming and going, do you have a doorbell linked up to the room upstairs so you can hear next client?
Any advice much appreciated, I'm trying to buy my own house and would love to have a bedroom converted :rolleyes: Thanks!!x

I have a room upstairs in my house and my door bell would wake the dead, so no fear of not hearing it. (it's a very shrill ring and LOUD)

I always ask my clients to park in the driveway, but a lot of them ignore me and walk straight across the grass, into the house and up the stairs... hope you don't have cream carpets :lol:

If you want to have a nosey at my set up feel free, just go into my profile and click the facebook link and you can have a look.

I have a home salon upstairs and it works out great. Obviously there is no wheelchair access which can be tricky but I always make sure new clients know this before they arrive.
I have a huge door knocker which is very loud so no problems with hearing it. The only problem I get is if I have appointments back to back, clients come early or late etc so I had to fashion a waiting room.

I have a couch in my hallway with magazines, biscuits, water etc that clients don't mind waiting in as my hallway is quite large too.
Advertising and marketing has to be pushed more as obviously it's not in a high street so you need to get the word around.

I also ask people to park in my drive but some park in the local Asda and walk over (no idea why lol.)

I love working from home, especially in the winter. Plus it's great cost wise.

HTH
Laura xx

I have a home salon and my room is upstairs and yes I do have a loud door bell and I do have cream carpet!!! lol

Everyone is very complimentary about my room, I have a huge drive and a big quiet road so plenty of parking. I love working from home but it does have it's downsides e.g no walk by trade and unless you get yourself out there no one's going to know you exist.

I have a room upstairs in my house and my door bell would wake the dead, so no fear of not hearing it. (it's a very shrill ring and LOUD)

I always ask my clients to park in the driveway, but a lot of them ignore me and walk straight across the grass, into the house and up the stairs... hope you don't have cream carpets :lol:

If you want to have a nosey at my set up feel free, just go into my profile and click the facebook link and you can have a look.

Just had a nosy and just wanted to say its fabulous!! What an amazing use of space!! Well done you - Im moving to a new house on the 10th of december and have a brand new room (downstairs) to convert youve inspired me thanks so much!!:biggrin:

Just had a nosy and just wanted to say its fabulous!! What an amazing use of space!! Well done you - Im moving to a new house on the 10th of december and have a brand new room (downstairs) to convert youve inspired me thanks so much!!:biggrin:

Awwh thanks a million! :hug:

I had one of these in my music studio so I could hear the door, I just moved the plug around to wherever I was

Twin Pack 100M 100 meters Range Home Remote Wireless UK Plug Doorbell Door Bell Chime: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

There is one caution though, you need to play around with the frequencies a bit to get the right one as sometimes car remote plippers (is that a real word?) would set off the bell, so I'd go charging down the studios to let in whoever was ringing the bell and there was no-one there.....I thought someone was playing silly beggars until my OH arrived and plipped and the bell rang!!

I have my room at the top of the stairs. No problem with doorbell and if people arrive early, which I hate, they sit in my living room with the dog! If they don't like that then they will wait in their car the next time until their appointment time. Having said that I have never had a problem with that as my clients are a lovely bunch who have been with me for years.

Basically, from the beginning I treated my business as my own. I work a certain way and expect clients to be friendly, if they aren't then I don't book them in again. Everything was explained to them on the telephone when they made their first bookings and they either accepted it or not. Their first reactions to my room have always been good and they are always surprised that once the door is closed you wouldn't know that you weren't in a room in a salon.

If you are working from home there is usually an overlap between life and work, that is inevitable and women are very understanding, on the whole, and anyone who isn't should find a posh salon in town to go to!:wink2:

Wow sorry to butt in your convo! I had a look too haha it looks fabulous. And the Brisa Gel looks amazing too!!!!! That solves my earlier post. Would you say the Brisa is better than the L+P???
Many Thanks

Jai xxxx

I am about to start my home salon - This thread is very inspirational. Thank you!

My treatment room is upstairs and it drives me mad !

When we move hopefully next year I will be insisting on a 2nd reception room that I can use as my treatment room !

In my hallway I have a plastic carpet protector and a built in mat so shoes are usually as clean as they can be when going upstairs but it still does affect the carpets. Infact I am having them cleaned next week !

I relocated from a hair salon when I had my son and I had to say goodbye to quite a few of my older clients as a couple were disabled and the others were in there 70/80's and I was a bit worried that the stairs could be a problem as they are very narrow. Sadly for me some of those clients were BIG spenders.

I never work back to back anymore as I would get to stressed if clients arrived early whilst I was already in treatment.

Thanks so much everyone for taking the time to reply to me :biggrin:
An*Gel I love your pedicure chair, and the set-up looks great!!

I've been mobile for almost 2 years now, and worked in a salon before that, but just got offer accepted on a house so I would love for clients to come to me.
Only thing is, it's not local to my clients so I may have to stay mobile on 3 days, home based for 2. I wouldn't wnat to lose my clientys I have, I am very fond of them all.
I'll wait and see when the house signing is complete, and I get the housey stff bought first, before I buy any home equipment :rolleyes:
Fed up lugging my stuff about, and travelling lol.
Thanks again, this has been a great help!! xx

Wow sorry to butt in your convo! I had a look too haha it looks fabulous. And the Brisa Gel looks amazing too!!!!! That solves my earlier post. Would you say the Brisa is better than the L+P???
Many Thanks

Jai xxxx

Hi Jai, thanks for that... I do prefer Brisa to Liquid and Powder, but then again it's a very long time since I used L&P... Brisa is lovely and thin, looks natural and files like a dream and never discolours... it ticks all the boxes really.

Thanks so much everyone for taking the time to reply to me :biggrin:
An*Gel I love your pedicure chair, and the set-up looks great!!

Thanks a mill Lisa, I have a great Carpenter! ;)

Latest posts

Back