Horror Story

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minnie_uk

Reaction score
Hi
I thought i would share this with you all....even as a newbie, it Horrified me!!
I was chatting to a friend about me doing her nails and she told me about her wedding day nails, when she got wed about 5 weeks ago.
The "Technician"-
Started by filing the WHOLE with a white block extremely fast
Clipped loose skin at side and actully made her finger bleed
Did her cuticles with a wooden stick, that was it.
She applied the tip to the nail, cut and filed, then she painted nail glue, onto HER NAIL, and dipped the nail into acrylic powder.

Oh my goodness.
Now the worst part of it is, my friend actually does acrylic nails herself, although not professionally (she was trained by a technician but has no quals. etc)
and she never said a word !!!:Scared:

How does nail glue & acrylic work?

No idea but she said they looked bad and the girl made a bit of a mess

Just goes to show why good training from a well recognised company is paramount. This industry gets a bad press from situations like these.

Thats lincolnshire for you lol! I was there three years and my god I have never been so shocked at the standard of therapists there. My local college just passed everyone!

I could tell you many horror stories from there! From reusing wax, to using the same elecrolysis needles. I am not saying all therapists there are bad, it just seems that way. I used to get clients ask why I sterilised things or why did I do consultations etc.

Maybe it was just where I lived but they had to be re-educated into how things should be done. They even said they thought something wasnt right yet still sat through a treatment! I would get up and walk out!

At least you know your local competition is poor and you can advertise how brill you are lol!!

I know bad therapists give a bad reputation but they will only help highlight those of us that do a good job.

Kate x

Thats lincolnshire for you lol! I was there three years and my god I have never been so shocked at the standard of therapists there. My local college just passed everyone!

I could tell you many horror stories from there! From reusing wax, to using the same elecrolysis needles. I am not saying all therapists there are bad, it just seems that way. I used to get clients ask why I sterilised things or why did I do consultations etc.

Maybe it was just where I lived but they had to be re-educated into how things should be done. They even said they thought something wasnt right yet still sat through a treatment! I would get up and walk out!

At least you know your local competition is poor and you can advertise how brill you are lol!!

I know bad therapists give a bad reputation but they will only help highlight those of us that do a good job.

Kate x

I live in Lincolnshire and I know many good therapists and techs who would not take kindly to that comment.

Kate x

I'm Lincolnshire based.
I have spent £1000's on professional training and have an excellent reputation. People come from miles around to have me do their nails.

I agree with you regarding some of the colleges, the training is a bit dire, but this is the case all over the country, not JUST LINCOLNSHIRE.

There are some places that do nails close to me who do a poor job, I'm not one of them. I end up picking up the pieces and putting the 'poor' jobs right, and I then have to try my best to educate these poor unsuspecting people of the damage & dangers of going to places that they have.

Please do not 'tar us all with the same brush'. There are some fantastically well trained, professionals in Lincolnshire & a CND Grand Master Nail Tech.
Your comments do not help us to try and promote our businesses in the way we do, by offering an excellent service & doing a great job.

There are 'poor practises' going on all over the country.

So have I got this right, a friend of yours got her nails done and didn't like them.

Mainly because she thinks she can do nails herself, although has no training and has just been shown by her nail technician.
No doubt she only does her own nails and no one elses as she has no Insurance :rolleyes:

But on this thread we are slating the technician who as far as we are aware could have done a course in the tip & dip system, and has Insurance.

Just because you or your friend have never seen or heard of this way of doing nails, does not mean it isn't a recognised system. A lot of geeks have trained in it and use it.
Personally I prefer the traditional way of doing L&P (acrylic) but each to their own as far as I am concerned.

OK the prep carried out on the nails, was not the best, but a white block is only 240 grit therefore theoretically can be used to remove shine from the nail.
Again I would not use it as the polystyrene can absorb moisture from the nail and these blocks cannot be sanitised properly. Also I would not nip any living tissue surrounding the nail, but I do know a lot of Colleges and courses still teach people to do this, so it is not necessaily a sign that this tech had no training.

As for the generalisation that Lincolnshire therapists and Technicians are generally badly trained, you really canot make a comment like that and not insult a lot of good therapists on here.

At least the Lincolnshire geeks can comment, unlike the tip & dip technician who is unaware her work is being discussed on the worlwide web, and has no right of reply.

I think we should all remember this is a professional site, and that people in glass houses should not throw stones!!

(and yes I did get out of bed the wrong side this morning:lol:)

Hi
I thought i would share this with you all....even as a newbie, it Horrified me!!
I was chatting to a friend about me doing her nails and she told me about her wedding day nails, when she got wed about 5 weeks ago.
The "Technician"-
Started by filing the WHOLE with a white block extremely fast
Clipped loose skin at side and actully made her finger bleed
Did her cuticles with a wooden stick, that was it.
She applied the tip to the nail, cut and filed, then she painted nail glue, onto HER NAIL, and dipped the nail into acrylic powder.

As neither yourself or your friend have had training, as yet. My guess is that the system used was 'tip & dip'. I don't agree with cutting/clipping loose skin, as this only makes it grow back thicker. If this was the Tech's complete prep, then it may be lacking in a few areas.

Oh my goodness.
Now the worst part of it is, my friend actually does acrylic nails herself, although not professionally (she was trained by a technician but has no quals. etc)
and she never said a word !!!:Scared:

I hope she does not 'do' acrylic nails on anyone other than herself, if she has no training. If she wants to 'do' nails, I'd advice her to get some training before she does damage to herself with products she's no idea about.

So have I got this right, a friend of yours got her nails done and didn't like them.

Mainly because she thinks she can do nails herself, although has no training and has just been shown by her nail technician.
No doubt she only does her own nails and no one elses as she has no Insurance :rolleyes:

But on this thread we are slating the technician who as far as we are aware could have done a course in the tip & dip system, and has Insurance.

Just because you or your friend have never seen or heard of this way of doing nails, does not mean it isn't a recognised system. A lot of geeks have trained in it and use it.
Personally I prefer the traditional way of doing L&P (acrylic) but each to their own as far as I am concerned.

OK the prep carried out on the nails, was not the best, but a white block is only 240 grit therefore theoretically can be used to remove shine from the nail.
Again I would not use it as the polystyrene can absorb moisture from the nail and these blocks cannot be sanitised properly. Also I would not nip any living tissue surrounding the nail, but I do know a lot of Colleges and courses still teach people to do this, so it is not necessaily a sign that this tech had no training.

As for the generalisation that Lincolnshire therapists and Technicians are generally badly trained, you really canot make a comment like that and not insult a lot of good therapists on here.

At least the Lincolnshire geeks can comment, unlike the tip & dip technician who is unaware her work is being discussed on the worlwide web, and has no right of reply.

I think we should all remember this is a professional site, and that people in glass houses should not throw stones!!

Excellent response Izzi. I agree.:hug:

Come on guys, she did say in her post that she wasn't saying all therapists in the area were bad!!

An unfortunate slip of the keyboard that everyone is getting hot under the collar about and it's a Sunday morning and we should all be nice and chilled and looking forward to the day ahead!

I read the post and didn't make any assumptions about Lincolnshire techs from it as I think I read it in the spirit it was written. The techs I know from there are Fabaroony and I wouldn't hesitate to go to any one of them ...

Enjoy your day everyone .. its Monday tomorrow!

I 100% agree with your comment Izzi,

I AM A LINCOLNSHIRE GEEK and I am 100% trained in all of my nail systems of which one includes Backscratchers tip and dip, I think this friend needs to discuss her complaint to the nail tech who applied her nails instead of bad mouthing her services to a newbie nail tech!!

Sue

Come on guys, she did say in her post that she wasn't saying all therapists in the area were bad!!

An unfortunate slip of the keyboard that everyone is getting hot under the collar about and it's a Sunday morning and we should all be nice and chilled and looking forward to the day ahead!

I read the post and didn't make any assumptions about Lincolnshire techs from it as I think I read it in the spirit it was written. The techs I know from there are Fabaroony and I wouldn't hesitate to go to any one of them ...

Enjoy your day everyone .. its Monday tomorrow!

I totally agree geeg but some people might read it differently, maybe if the poster re-read what she wrote she would of been able to have edited it a bit so as not to cause offence?? I for one read it as you did but that's not to say that everyone will. xxxx

I 100% agree with your comment Izzi,

I AM A LINCOLNSHIRE GEEK and I am 100% trained in all of my nail systems of which one includes Backscratchers tip and dip, I think this friend needs to discuss her complaint to the nail tech who applied her nails instead of bad mouthing her services to a newbie nail tech!!

Sue

This is absolutely true, if she had gone back to her tech or betteryet discussed it WITH her WHILE she was there then that would of been better and cleared up any questions and doubts without bad mouthing the tech in question.xxx

Excellent response, the lady who had her nails done couldn't possibly know if the tech had done something wrong as she has had no training at all and probably hasn't even heard of the tip & dip system, i for one dont use it as i like doing it the original way or using the excellent popits!! :)

I wasnt calling ALL linconshire techs, I was saying I have found that area seemed to be less educated (the clients) so they accepted poor quality treatments in sub standard salons because they knew no different.

As I said in that comment its up to the good therapists to educate people into what level of treatment they should expect! Sorry people didnt read it how it was intended!

im in lincolnshire too, and i know im not perfect but i think im pretty good and i follow all health and safety precautions. :( x

I wasnt calling ALL linconshire techs, I was saying I have found that area seemed to be less educated (the clients) so they accepted poor quality treatments in sub standard salons because they knew no different.

As I said in that comment its up to the good therapists to educate people into what level of treatment they should expect! Sorry people didnt read it how it was intended!

I get you now!!...but if the Lincolnshire geeks ask you to their next geek meet I would be afraid.........very afraid :lol:

I get you now!!...but if the Lincolnshire geeks ask you to their next geek meet I would be afraid.........very afraid :lol:

:lol::lol:We're not that bad.......well maybe a little! :lol::lol:

LOL!
You're right tho - she may have to be tickled into eating her words!:lol:

WOW
Just seen all the replies...
I may think twice about putting a post on here now...!!:|

Latest posts

Back