How can a nail tech deal with having the shakes?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Everyone, I have just read all off the posts and think all the replies are really good, I myself suffer really bad with the shakes when doing nails and over the past few months it has for some reason got worse and my stomach turns, well last week was the final straw for me I was doing someones nails and ended up having to appologise I just ended up a total wreck and kept on asking myself why as the nails were lovely and she was pleased with them. I did explain to her that I had not had a drink the night before and although she told me not to worry I was off to the doctors first thing monday morning.
I have now been on some tablets for a week now and hope that they do make a difference soon.

Another thing to consider for those particularly stressful days folks is Bach's Rescue Remedy. It is a totally herbal mix and you simply use the dropper and put a couple of drops onto your tongue. It works amazingly well at calming you and helping to maintain a clear head :)

Great to see all these comments, I think we all get the shakes at times, not just from too many vodkas the night before!! :lol:

hiya i have this problem when trying to do French Manicures! I struggle to get the smile line straight! dont worry hunni youre not alone! :hug:

Hi!!
Ive being doing nails for a couple of years now, and still learning.. Ive always been pretty steady with clients and quietly confident..
Almost 3 months ago i started renting a space in the salon, started quietly and then gradually its really picked up...
Unfortunately there has been a lot of stress in my life recently and finding it hard to settle in the salon, and ive ended up quite 'shaky',and its almost like my nerves have gone...
How can a nail tech be shaky?? The finish looks great on the polish, but takes me slightly longer.. when going acrylics and gels, im really having to battle with myself when doing the smile lines etc.. So now it seems like every thing is taking for ever, which makes the client think im a complete beginner and i know the quality of my work is wavering....
im not sure if im posting this in the right area, but i could really do with some good advise to help me stop shaking and eventually throwing the towel in.........
Thanks for reading
Max xx

Another thing to consider for those particularly stressful days folks is Bach's Rescue Remedy. It is a totally herbal mix and you simply use the dropper and put a couple of drops onto your tongue. It works amazingly well at calming you and helping to maintain a clear head :)

Hi everyone, as mentioned anxiety or stress often manifests itself with a tremor, for me personally i know that when i feel wobbly i need to take action otherwise i can end up feeling very panicky and out of my depth.
Rather than take medication (visit ur docs just to rule the need for medication out) i was given - by a qualified alternative therapist- vogels passiflora complex, its a completely natural tincture by Bioforce, I take 10drops in a little water am & pm until im feeling calmer and then reduce to am only. It also seems to help me switch of the 'rewind button' at bed time, u know when u just cant stop thinking about 'it' what 'it' was.
I also find that i can handle more stressful situations and new challenges when im taking a good quality VITAMIN B COMPLEX, as this supports the nervous system.
HTH xxx

I tend to get the shakes if I drink a TON of coffee, and don't eat in time. If I drink a small amount of coffee I'm fine. Of course I make sure to eat a hearty breakfast too. I think eating foods high in protein to tide you over are especially important in this business. Now I work in a more relaxed environment, but there for a while I worked in a very hectic one! I always ate two packets of oatmeal with a big glass of milk and took my vitamins, every morning.

Also, breathing in deep and slowly exhaling helps if it's from stress. Sometimes I do this if I feel overwhelmed with how fast my day is. Sniffing lavendar helps too. :)

I used to have the shakes and found that a foam wedge to lean on helped me so much give it ago.

Just thought id update you all!! I still get the "occasional" shakes but nothing like i was.. It helped to hear all of your advise and tip's!!
Thankyou
Love from your shakey friend!! lol!!
x

You haven't said what brand you use or if you are asthmatic?

I know that certain brands can cause nerve shakes with overexposure, so ensure you have plenty of ventilation.
Also, don't lean in too close to you work (any closer than 20cm is asking for trouble!)
I found when I was working ten hour days with back-to-back clients, it's important to eat regularly, stay calm and increase your water intake. Dehydration will cause you to work slower and stress more!
And at the end of the day remember - you are a good nail technician and you know it!

We were advised to take " Rescue Remedy by Bach" Rescue&reg Remedy - Official Site which you can get from Holland and Barrett. It's herbal and only need a few drops, and not that expensive.
I must say it has been very helpful (even for our dog around fireworks)

Just a thankyou to minxymax for raising this topic.
Im a new nail tech (i can say that now i have a job!) and although im sure for the most part it is nerves, i cant help but find i am shaking so much! When im home practicing painting i am fine, but when its a real client i just cant seem to relax and am shaking alot.
I could see i was doing it yesterday and was probably stressing more as i could see it but i was really struggling to repaint some nails properly as i was shaking so much, then the client noticed it and i just felt a mess.
I've just read through this thread and im going to have a go at some of the techniques and hope it will help for the time being. I'm sure its just because im stressing in a new job but it doesnt help, as i will then worry about keeping the job as a result.
So anyway, yes thanks to everyone adding their advice and i too will try and beat my shakes!
:hug:

Latest posts

Back