How long did you practice for?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommo

Reaction score
Hi ladies and gents :)
I'm newly qualified and wondered how long everyone practiced on friends and family before they introduced themselves to the public!? Or did you dive straight in?

charge from day one in my opinion ...

was your product free?? would you family/friends want you to be paying for them??

cover your product cost - or at least tell them that's what your are charging for, remember only YOU know what it costs, so right from day one you should be covering your product and putting some additional aside for building up your equipment/ product..

I suggest putting your charge up a small amount at a time for each new client and ensure that none of your existing ones tell others the charge... (tell them it's a special rate just for them...)

go forth and nail it

charge from day one in my opinion ...

was your product free?? would you family/friends want you to be paying for them??

cover your product cost - or at least tell them that's what your are charging for, remember only YOU know what it costs, so right from day one you should be covering your product and putting some additional aside for building up your equipment/ product..

I suggest putting your charge up a small amount at a time for each new client and ensure that none of your existing ones tell others the charge... (tell them it's a special rate just for them...)

go forth and nail it
Totally agree with this! You must charge when practicing even if it's just to cover your costs.

Good luck!
Rhiannon x

Definitely charge! You are paying for products so you shouldnt b out of pocket.

I did half price nail treatments whilst training and it was a great way to practise and get new clients. I always gave my clients plenty of notice when the price would increase and all were happy with this.

Good luck x

I'm itching to be let loose on the public but until I'm qualified (in may) I can't get insurance. As soon as I am I will be charging xx

This is exactly what I am doing - the lady who did my training advised it and it's worked well I now have a few soon to be 'regulars' primed for when I move on to Shellac but I have said that my prices will be increasing at the end of April for basic manicure etc (doing Shellac training mid April so wanting to move most on to that anyhow) Also I did charge an extra )2 on my 'training prices for a client who wanted a home visit and she was happy with this

Oops that's £2 soz

I just jumped straight in.
I was happy with my sets, and confident! I wouldn't have it any other way.
xxx

Hi ladies and gents :)
I'm newly qualified and wondered how long everyone practiced on friends and family before they introduced themselves to the public!? Or did you dive straight in?

I was lucky to get a job in a salon straight away where they offered really cheap full sets a promotion only for the newbies to get a lot of practise and then as the quality of nails got better the full sets became more expensive until they were full price..it gave me a lot of experience but was also a bit scary at the same time as the backfills that were coming back would either be easy or alot of work but definitely the experience got my skill up and time down!

I would say definitely charge but offer special starter rate full sets maybe?

Thank you all very much for your replies :) it seems I should just go for it!!! Seems very real now I've had the 'go ahead' from fellow geeks :-D

I'm itching to be let loose on the public but until I'm qualified (in may) I can't get insurance. As soon as I am I will be charging xx

You can get sutdent insurance hun :D

I got student insurance the day my course with EN landed on my doorstep and charged full price straight off the bat!

Be confident in yourself, the service you offer and that reflects in your work IMO xxx

You can get sutdent insurance hun :D

I got student insurance the day my course with EN landed on my doorstep and charged full price straight off the bat!

Be confident in yourself, the service you offer and that reflects in your work IMO xxx

I tried to get student insurance. I phoned up the guild and they said that student insurance only covers you when your tutor is present- no use for me!!

You know me .. I dived right in at full price right after my course!! lol And then it all began!

Im another one that dives straight in from the minute i finish a course! If someone doesn't want to pay full price i let them go else where for cheaper til they realise that im good at what i do hence my prices :)
Vicki :) xx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I do 'introductory offers' so people can see how great I am. A month later it's full price. Wouldn't have it any other way :) x

I had student insurance, can't remember now if I could charge with that insurance! That was with Beauty Guild.

I've been qualified for 2 months and still haven't gone out into the public...lack of confidence unfortunately :(

Latest posts

Back