How long for a full set?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stanyer21

Nail addict
Reaction score
hey can ask you geeks how long its taking to do a full sat of Acrylic/gel and infills, just i have been doing nails now for 7/8 years and it takes me 1.5 hours . does this sound right or am i doing something wrong?????
:confused:

hey can ask you geeks how long its taking to do a full sat of Acrylic/gel and infills, just i have been doing nails now for 7/8 years and it takes me 1.5 hours . does this sound right or am i doing something wrong?????
:confused:

Do you know how many times this question has been asked? lol

Your own industry quotes 1.5 hours as a standard time for a full set including consultation ... so you are working within the industry boundry.

Timing depends on what you are doing .. ie sculpting or tip and overlay, gel or L&P ... there are many variables. Sounds like you are doing OK but with all your years of experience you might be a bit quicker if you want to be and can work at that pace. Do you use and efile/drill? This can certainly decrease your prep time for rebalances and french rebalances etc where you spend so much time filing.

ok thanks. im new to this forum lol and i was always curious as to if i should be working quicker or if maybe i just chatter to much to clients lol..
i do french / clear l+P and gel. clear infills i can do in about a hour, hour 15 but not french. was just curious as some clients come in having had them done elsewere and say it only took that salon 45 min or hour for a full set and i just thought that was really quick. no i dont use drills or anything as i was always told this ruins the nail bed (dont know how true this is though as i have never really looked into it

E-files don't ruin nails, technicians using the e-file incorrectly or irresponsibly ruin nails.
(A simple analogy would be: guns don't walk around killing people by themselves, some idiot has to pull the trigger, otherwise they can be perfectly harmless while used for shooting at paper targets)

There are 'some' GOOD techs that can do things quickly and efficiently.
But 1.5hrs is fairly average.

Keep in mind, many consumers will compare the speed of a GOOD tech to an NSS (Non Standard Salon aka "Chop-shop") who is taking all sorts of shortcuts that will produce ugly nails and/or damage the natural nails.
Don't try to follow suit.

Keep doing things properly and safely. The work will speak for itself.

Keep in mind, many consumers will compare the speed of a GOOD tech to an NSS (Non Standard Salon aka "Chop-shop") who is taking all sorts of shortcuts that will produce ugly nails and/or damage the natural nails.
Don't try to follow suit.

Very good point. It's definitely worth taking that little bit longer to create an amazing result. Clients would prefer to be there half an hour longer and be delighted than save 30 minutes and be disappointed

x

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

Very good point. It's definitely worth taking that little bit longer to create an amazing result. Clients would prefer to be there half an hour longer and be delighted than save 30 minutes and be disappointed

x

I had two new clients last night, friends that came together.
I had to reduce BADLY APPLIED MMA garbage to 'almost' non-existent (I didn't want to expose the sensitive & damaged nail plates with tonnes of rings of fire) and rebuild. YES we took much longer than usual because of the reduction AND the art choices that they made which were detailed.
HOWEVER, both were ecstatic and the whole time that they were here, they griped about how often they didn't get what they asked for at the other place etc.

They've already booked their next TWO appointments each.

Well I sound really bad then cos I spend about 3hrs round my clients house doing gel extensions. But nobody has ever complained. They tell me its lovely to have someone that chats a lot they say they feel like they have known me for years so they feel comfortable. :-D

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

For me it depends on what im doing. 1hr for a full set of sculptured, same for infills and then 1hr 20mins for Re-whiteing. I got my speed up by filing and talking at the same time as everytime you take a quick pause to chat it all adds up on the time.

It compares with the ' how long is a piece of string'
I can take from 1 hour to 3 hours ish Doing a set of enhancements.
As long as you are happy you have done everything correctly And your clients are happy you have no problems don't worry too much about timings x :0)

I have been doing nails for almost 7 years and when I was training at college I was told that 2.5hrs or less for a full set of nail extensions in gel or l&p, tips or sculpting. That is what I work to and I just can't reduce that time!

I no longer do l&p and try to avoid extensions. I use gel only now.

I find that doing French takes longer than single colour or clear and clear is quicker than colour.

As I work from home in my dedicated room, I find clients who come to me are looking for long term nail care rather than a quick fix and they appreciate my standard two hrs to do their nails (I remove and reapply only, plus fix any breakages & do nail art if requested).

I'm a perfectionist and can't let my clients leave without having given my all to their nails. I'm very proud of what I produce and so are my clients - so what if I take 2hrs!

The key thing here is don't compare yourself with anyone else and neither will your clients - as what you offer and do is better!
:)

(I remove and reapply only, plus fix any breakages & do nail art if requested).

Do you not do rebalances then?
Just curious, as removing their nails each time can lead to over exposure and is unnecessarily time consuming (I know you say time isn't an issue sometimes and I agree, but its like you are giving yourself more work)
xx

Well I sound really bad then cos I spend about 3hrs round my clients house doing gel extensions. But nobody has ever complained. They tell me its lovely to have someone that chats a lot they say they feel like they have known me for years so they feel comfortable. :-D

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Not related but i have the same logo as you lol x Vista Print Rocks
I have the same logo lol x

Hi

I'm usually about 1.5 to 2 hours. I'm mobile so by the time I get set up etc it's usually the 2 hours

Do you not do rebalances then?
Just curious, as removing their nails each time can lead to over exposure and is unnecessarily time consuming (I know you say time isn't an issue sometimes and I agree, but its like you are giving yourself more work)
xx

hmm im curious to, as with 7 years experience you should defo be doing infills.
?????????
why would you take a full set off if there is nothing the matter with them

Hi

I'm usually about 1.5 to 2 hours. I'm mobile so by the time I get set up etc it's usually the 2 hours

Snap, I'm mobile too and it usually takes 1.5 hours. Wish I could get my timings down .

Im mobile and It still takes me approx 2.5-3hours (it was over 4hkurs to start), I do have an unrelated full time job too still, and I know I look up when talking which I need to stop doing! Timings slowly coming down but I would be so so so happy with 1.5 hours! :)

Jo xxx

I have been doing nails for almost 7 years and when I was training at college I was told that 2.5hrs or less for a full set of nail extensions in gel or l&p, tips or sculpting. That is what I work to and I just can't reduce that time!

I no longer do l&p and try to avoid extensions. I use gel only now.

I find that doing French takes longer than single colour or clear and clear is quicker than colour.

As I work from home in my dedicated room, I find clients who come to me are looking for long term nail care rather than a quick fix and they appreciate my standard two hrs to do their nails (I remove and reapply only, plus fix any breakages & do nail art if requested).

I'm a perfectionist and can't let my clients leave without having given my all to their nails. I'm very proud of what I produce and so are my clients - so what if I take 2hrs!

The key thing here is don't compare yourself with anyone else and neither will your clients - as what you offer and do is better!
:)

This doesn't seem very practical nor profitable if I'm understanding you correctly.
First there's the issue of over-exposure and dehdrating the nail plate due to repeated soakings in acetone.

Then, there's the fact that it's less profit for you to work this way.
For every removal, you need the acetone (assuming it's a soakoff) so that costs. If it's buff-off, then you take more time removing it all than you would simply rebalancing and time is money.
For new sets, more product is required and it takes more time to build a new set than to rebalance.

It makes no sense.

You could very likely reduce the time, you just have to look at where your time is going. Chatty maybe? We have made that mistake. Look down while you work if that's the issue.

PS: I book a maximum of 2hrs per client. This is for new sets (incl. consult and usually finish by 1hr30), rebalances, Hollywoods with OTT nail art.... RARELY do I go over that 2hrs. And when I do, I can easily chalk it up to chit-chat.

im roughly over the 2hrs, has come down from when 1st done full set, sometimes under if not chattin to much too and listening to the client and making sure i have everythin at hand :) x

Hi, the reason I remove is because the clients use to ask me too and it's sort of stuck now. Most of them do change their colour every visit. I hardly ever do French - not something I have done on purpose - just the clients I have are obviously of a certain type.
And yes I do have a downfall... Chatting!

My clients all love what I do and quite often if they For whatever reason have their nails done elsewhere they soon come running back (their words not mine) - I don't advertise anymore. I just work based on recommendations.

But going back to removal, I don't soak in a bowl of acetone. I use to with acrylic but with gel I do foil wraps. Quick, easy and don't cost as much. I use normal kitchen foil.

If the client has been really good at looking after their nails then I can get away with just buffing them down and doing infills. But most often they want removal and new colour than before.

hi been doing nails for 20 years and it takes me up to 2 hours including full free hand nail art, ladies like to be pampered and like to relax and have me time lol not be rushed out the door like in a cattle market, stay as u are your doing just fine .
jules x

Latest posts

Back