How much did your initial training cost?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How much did your training/product outlay cost?

• 0-£250

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • £250-£500

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • £500-£750

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • £750-£1000

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • £1000-£1500

Votes: 11 15.5%
  • £1500+

Votes: 30 42.3%

• Total voters

shellpink

Reaction score
My friend wants to start in the nail industry, but she thinks it cost alot.
My Beauty Therapy course & Nail enhancement course plus some products I bought (and I have by no means finished buying!) have cost so far, well in excess of £2000, and I haven't even qualified or got any paying customers yet.
I don't, however, think that this amount is unreasonable!
I was wondering what the typical amount you had to pay. Be it in Nails or Beauty.
What was the outlay you paid before you started earning?

I know it's money well spent!
Thanks Geeks x

Last edited:
I voted between £500-£750 as that is how much I have paid for my manicure and foundation training, incl kits. This will give me the ability to start on the road to producing great nails, I realise that it is by no means the end of the road and I expect to pay around another £500 for advanced training and conversions etc. HTH :)

This is quite a difficult one as it does depend on how far you are along your training route.

If you believe in life long learning then you will be needing to budget for some form of training every year for example.

If people answer who have only completed say a two day course then their initial outlay will be much less than someone who for example has done a college manicure course, then a manufacturers enhancement course and then advanced classes to Master level.

To answer your question - how much do you expect training to cost? - well how good do you want to be - how long is a piece of string LOL.

I dare not add up how much all my training and kits have cost over the last two years, i do know it is around the 4k mark,
yes it does sound like an awful lot but i can honestly say that it was money well spent,
i now have a career that i love, it does not matter what i am doing,
nails, beauty, teaching and the rest that goes with it all, all the enquiry's etc i love every bit of it and would spend it all over again to be as happy as i am now hth

the biggest mistake people who interested in our industry make is to go cheap. CHEAP is dear as they say and it is so true.

The mentality of many is such that they do not look at the larger future picture. They start underfunded to begin with and it takes them 3 times longer to get anywhere.

This is quite a difficult one as it does depend on how far you are along your training route.

If you believe in life long learning then you will be needing to budget for some form of training every year for example.

If people answer who have only completed say a two day course then their initial outlay will be much less than someone who for example has done a college manicure course, then a manufacturers enhancement course and then advanced classes to Master level.

To answer your question - how much do you expect training to cost? - well how good do you want to be - how long is a piece of string LOL.

Good point, know what you mean, but Im just wondering how much you pay out before you started earning?

i started training in september, so far i've spent £1500.
thats got me a vtct level 2 nail treatments and vtct level 2 nail technolgy (nearly finished it!), a caflon ear piercing diploma & kit, plus extra nail stuff.
i'm planning on doing creative training soon which will set me back another £400 & when i choose a gel supplier i'll be spending on another kit & training too.(i havent started earning yet either!)
after thoroughly searching through all the training posts on this site i've decided to spend more to get the best.you should check your local colleges as i know some training prices differ in different parts of the country.
hths x x x

I voted the £1000-1500 to start with, but keep have on going training, so you can't really put a price on how much it costs as it depends on how good you want to be?

You don't ever stop training, no matter how good you are, so i would say it is an on going investment. Lets face it, if you want a good return on your investment, you have to put loads of hard work in, then you get the rewards.:D

Well i started Training in Janurary this year and so far i've spend probably in the regeion of £2000 so far (for my VTCT Beauty level 2 and Nail Technology course), plus i have spent further more on all the products which i need which has probabley cost another £1000!?! I have done a few of my level 2 units on a 1-1 basis which has obviously cost me more money but i choice this option as i felt i would receive better education on a 1-1 basis..

I have just taken out a £6000 loan so i can continue with further education as there are many other courses i would like to enrol onto and although getting a £6000 loan isn't something i have done lightly, i have just focused on the future and i know that although it seems like alot to spend out on education and products etc, i think it will definitley be worth it in the long run...

I think if your serious about becoming qualifed and gaining the correct education and training etc, i think you have to put in the dedication, time and the money!!

Laura X

Well i started Training in Janurary this year and so far i've spend probably in the regeion of £2000 so far (for my VTCT Beauty level 2 and Nail Technology course), plus i have spent further more on all the products which i need which has probabley cost another £1000!?! I have done a few of my level 2 units on a 1-1 basis which has obviously cost me more money but i choice this option as i felt i would receive better education on a 1-1 basis..

I have just taken out a £6000 loan so i can continue with further education as there are many other courses i would like to enrol onto and although getting a £6000 loan isn't something i haven't done lightly, i have just focused on the future and i know that although it seems like alot to spend out on education and products etc, i think it will definiteley be worth it in the long run...

I think if your serious about becoming qualifed and gaining the correct education and training etc, i think you have to put in the dedication, time and the money!!

Laura X

How many businesses, that are going to give you the return you can get from our business, can you set up for 6,000.00??? Not many. It is a VERY small start up cost for a business if you are realistic about it. Trouble is there are not many (like you) who are.

How many businesses, that are going to give you the return you can get from our business, can you set up for 6,000.00??? Not many. It is a VERY small start up cost for a business if you are realistic about it. Trouble is there are not many (like you) who are.

Very True Geeg.. When you think about it, £6,000 isn't really a lot when you think about what you will be getting in return... I see it as a wise investment.

Many of my friends mouths drop open when i tell them how much the courses are costing me, but they don't seem to grasp the concept that this isn't just a 'training course', its my future, my career and something i need in order to process onto the next step on my 'career ladder'.

Laura

Very True Geeg.. When you think about it, £6,000 isn't really a lot when you think about what you will be getting in return... I see it as a wise investment.

Many of my friends mouths drop open when i tell them how much the courses are costing me, but they don't seem to grasp the concept that this isn't just a 'training course', its my future, my career and something i need in order to process onto the next step on my 'career ladder'.

Laura

I've given up wondering why people feel this way. maybe it is just because they have no shred of entreprenurial spirit and have just worked for others all their lives. They have no conception of what foundation you need to run your own business or what running their own business would entail and would always be too scared to make the commitment themselves so how can they understand?

It has cost me a fair bit to do all my training, but Im not finished yet, not by a long shot, and I never will, its constant learning.

But to set myself up from home aswell, convert 2 rooms, stock, equipment etc. It is a hell of alot more than £1500.

Im gonna be honest and say that to do all my training and set myself up has cost in excess of £10,000. I have been open since July '07, havent seen a profit yet, and I wont for a while yet, + Im doing spray tanning in May so that is gonna push that figure up again!

Its been worth every penny though! :)

i'm glad you put it like that, i'll keep that in mind when i'm trying to explain my plans to friends, they all look really shocked when i tell them how much i'm paying for training and kits - most of them think the cheap nss stuff will do the same job and that i can learn nails on a cheap 1 or 2 day course!
it is a really good investment in yourself, for once i'm actually enjoying education (i hated school) and i'm planning on setting up my own business at 20 years old, not many people in my age group can say that! :)

i'm glad you put it like that, i'll keep that in mind when i'm trying to explain my plans to friends, they all look really shocked when i tell them how much i'm paying for training and kits - most of them think the cheap nss stuff will do the same job and that i can learn nails on a cheap 1 or 2 day course!
it is a really good investment in yourself, for once i'm actually enjoying education (i hated school) and i'm planning on setting up my own business at 20 years old, not many people in my age group can say that! :)

Well done you ... wish I had started at 20 instead of 35 .. I would have had 15 more years of fun!

Bear in mind that your friends really know nothing about the business of nails or business in general probably.

Amazing how studious you can be when you are actually interested in the subject you are learning isn't it? Best of luck, my dear.

Well done you ... wish I had started at 20 instead of 35 .. I would have had 15 more years of fun!

I'm with you there! i wanted to do beauty at college etc but my parents didn't think it was really "learning"! ha if only they realised the sweat and tears to try and get a great looking enhancement!:)

I think this is a very good, true point. :)

I voted £1,500+ as I have just started doing the L&P course and for this course plus the product you would need to start off to enable you to see clients it is quite probably that alone, then add on a gel course, M&P course, etc etc it just builds so much.

I never realised how much but I want to go for quality with my clients and I am going with what I feel is the best and so will not scrimp anywhere.

I put £1500+. Just the basics must be at least £2000 and thats without products and extra courses I've done in the last year. The trouble is I just love doing courses and learning new stuff, which it just as well as you never finish learning!

I'm not going to count my first training because it's not worth the paper it's written on. but then I did my beauty therapy diploma and nail technology cert 2.
That cost $9500 AU.

Latest posts

Back