How much did your initial training cost?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How much did your training/product outlay cost?

• 0-£250

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • £250-£500

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • £500-£750

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • £750-£1000

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • £1000-£1500

Votes: 11 15.5%
  • £1500+

Votes: 30 42.3%

• Total voters
Well done you ... wish I had started at 20 instead of 35 .. I would have had 15 more years of fun!

Bear in mind that your friends really know nothing about the business of nails or business in general probably.

Amazing how studious you can be when you are actually interested in the subject you are learning isn't it? Best of luck, my dear.
thank you for your kind words, i'm slowly educating my friends about nails, its amazing how much more they want me to do their nails when they understand the process and benefits better. (they're learning the difference between creative L&P nails and the cheap stick on ones from the chemist!)
you're nail class book is a great help too, i'm reading it for the second time! x

my initial training was free as i was a single parent and went to college, nsi l&p was part of level 3 beauty at the time, now im doing 2 home courese which have cost near on £800, i have also invested in new l&p system (nsi) and will be taking l&p to get a separate certificate, also a one to one with somone when i have finished my gel course!!! OMG i hope i get losts of clients lol oh and im just about to learn brazilian waxing but i can't find any volunteers hahah:lol:

I'm with you there! i wanted to do beauty at college etc but my parents didn't think it was really "learning"! ha if only they realised the sweat and tears to try and get a great looking enhancement!:)
wow they think it's not learning i take offence (haha) after the hours i sat with an anatomy and physiology book trying taking it all in !! Mind you many young ladies go into the beauty industry thinking it's all glamour and make-up they don't think there are any nasty bit's like doing a pedi for the first time i had an old ladies toenail land on my lip yuk how gross is that !!!!
:rolleyes:

I made the big mistake of going on a 2 day course :eek: which covered L&P, gel, fibre glass, silk and sculpting :eek: in a large class which bacisally involved looking over eachothers shoulders at what the trainer was doing then trying to emulate it on eachother! (my poor nails were in a terrible state by the end and I had gel nearly down to the knuckle on one of my fingers!! :rolleyes: - I was on the train home with my fingers wrapped in acetone, cotton wool and tin foil like Edward Scissor Hands!!! :irked:) By the end of the second day my poor little brain was sooo overloaded with info and different kits!! It quickly became clear that this was not even nearly enough and I am now saving to start afresh with Creative. Cannot wait! x

wow they think it's not learning i take offence (haha) after the hours i sat with an anatomy and physiology book trying taking it all in !! Mind you many young ladies go into the beauty industry thinking it's all glamour and make-up they don't think there are any nasty bit's like doing a pedi for the first time i had an old ladies toenail land on my lip yuk how gross is that !!!!
:rolleyes:

PMSL that is so funny! lol :lol::lol:

i voted the £1500 + at a rough estimate of what ive already spent so far...im not qualified yet and when i have finished my EN course ill be off to creative which im trying to gather about £1000 for the course and a few extra bits...but god only knows what i will spend once im actually qualified and can experiment with more products etc..it dont bare thinking about as im a fully fledged spendaholic! lol when i talk about what ive spent n how much a course is etc to family or friends i can see their minds are thinking that im crazy or something and they just dont look like they understand at all....it was only a few days ago when i was telling my dad about the next course i want to do (secretly hoping for a helping donation! lol) that my own dad made what has got to be the most annoying comment EVER..... " I didnt realise there was so much to learn about doing someones nails...there cant be that much to know! Dont see why you need to keep doing courses" (said in a p-taking, patronising, i think its all a waste of time and a load of poop type of manner!)
I think you can imagine my fury as I swiftly pointed to my massive pile of books right under his nose whilst ranting! lol

As far as im concerned...it may sound like a lot of money and it is a lot of money but in the grand scheme of things its actually not that much at all...and even if i never get any return from it and didnt earn it back...i wouldnt feel ive wasted my money...cos at the end of the day...ive loved spending it on the things that i love...and ive loved using it, learning about it, experimenting with it...and seeing how happy it can make someone else when ive transformed their tired hands...you get my drift!

Tell your friend to go buy a business and see how much that will cost her! lol x

my initial training cost £1800 it was full time for a year. I left college with an international IHBC, that was nearly 30 years ago and the full course could only be done at private colleges. Since then I have done clinical aromatherapy, reflexology, advanced make-up courses, shiatsu, countless nail enhancements oh I can't even think what else, I know I have 38 diplomas as I have just paid to get them re-framed. How much I have spent over the years in training is in excess of £25000.00 with regard to stock and equipment I dread to think mind you I also own a few salons and in total have 12 staff so that now pays for itself. I have enjoyed every penny and am about to enjoy more as soon as I decide what I want to do next.

To answer your question - how much do you expect training to cost? - well how good do you want to be - how long is a piece of string LOL.

From the middle to the end doubled hehe :green:

I have to agree with the cheap is dear comment by Geeg, I think most of us have been there at sometime :irked:

becki xxx

There is truth in you get what you pay for, and with education and a technical skill, no one can take it away.

I don't even want to begin to add up all I've spent on education (I'm pretty sure I've gotten double or triple return on the investment) but I'm not done learning yet.

Growing up in the industry (my Mother is a stylist now school owner and my employer) gave me the insight to see what a high yield return this industry is. She was a single mother with a child, then remarried, had another child and put a husband through school all as a stylist and business owner. When we invest in ourselves and do it wisely, we can get a HUGE return. Not to mention we look great and make other people look and feel great while we do it.

Don't cut corners, save up and do it right. For all the parents who wanted their darlings to go to a "traditional college" and make real money, wake up!! 20 years from now that same darling will hate their job, quit and do this any way, START NOW and DO IT RIGHT!

Hi All,
I am 37 and retraining and my mum is doing the training with me and she is 57. We are going into business together. We have spent alot on training and kits so far, but it is worth the expense and time, because I have finally found a job I really love. I am going mobile once I have finished my training so I can fit things around my disabled husband and five children.

Latest posts

Back