How Much To Charge When Training???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DOLLYSPLODGE

Reaction score
Just wondered what you all charged when you were training?? I did ask this on the other thread i created but no-one looked :cry: boo!
My tutor says we should charge and not sell ourselves short or atleast charge for the products used....what do you think???
dolly -X-

Hiya

Your tuto is right when she says not to sell yourself short. The thing is, if you do people's nails for free, they won't respect your work and so they won't be bothered about picking them off. This means that you can't find out how long your nails are lasting, whether they are lifting and you won't get chance to practice infills.

Also, if you start charging too cheap, you will find that it is hard to put your prices up when you become professional.

I charged half price when I was training, I made sure I told people that I was doing a half price offer. I charged £15 and put my prices up to £30 when I qualified.

Natalie

cheers for that. I did secretly think that to myself!!! lol. I think thats a nice round figure and i will be really pleased and proud when a client gives me my first payment and be pleased with the nails!!

I'm glad to be able to help you out.

x

hi when i first started out I sprayed friends and family for free just to gain confidence and to recieve their feedback on colour, whilst trying to find the best solution etc. then I started charging customers £10.00 I did this for a month( advertised it as special offer) to see how it went and to bring in the clients then after that I charged £20.00 full body, £15.00 half body and tan together £30.00 at the salon. if I have a spray tan party the host is free when there are 5 paying clients if it goes below that number then the host has to pay. the price varies depending on where you live. most people charge £10.00 to start with and then once confident charge between £20-£25.00 per body.

deffo charge whilst training, after my first course, i was doing sets for free on two friends, and they were always popping off , lifting and not lasting , i thought i was crap, but then i took my next course and i found that if i charged £10 (that was all), they managed to keep their nails on, and wanted rebalances too, i think its sooo true if you give them it free, they dont look after it, but if they've paid out, no matter how little, they think "well its my hard earned money i'll look after them"

plus, you have to recoup some of your costs hun, otherwise you'll have no money to buy new stock etc

hths chick xxxxx

oh and also, if your dsoing them for free, it almost gives the impression that you dont think your worthy of charging, whereas doing them at a reduce rate, makes people think, your good enough to charge, but you know you cant yet charge full price whilst your training, so gives them confidence in you iykwim? x

Last edited:
I quilify in couple weeks as soon as i cud do a set good enough I charge 15 pounds training with creative so stock expencive but soooo worth it start as you mean to go one etc this covers the cost of product bin liners etc...:)

Hi, Ive done my 4 out of 5 days on a creative course and Im charging £5 just to cover costs at the mo. but when I get my certificate in a couple of weeks, My prices will definately increase! but only to about £20, I will, in a few months chagre £30!

£20.00 here and i'm waiting day 5 of foundation, people are paying and returning for re-balance......

Am i too expensive lol

Champagne x

my dad said to me not to charge round numbers, because if you charge say 12 instead of 10 they are more likely to say keep the change out of 15... catch my drift...

Thanks all, for your great feeback...certainly interesting and definately depends on what area you live. I will start to charge now i think as i have said that the first lot are for free but after that i will charge about £10/12 to recoup costs im saying then hopefully like you say they will look after them far better than if they were free.
thanks xx

It's also very important to set a limit on how long you'll charge "student rates" so that people don't expect that price forever.

Things might differ according to your location, but it's usually illegal to ask for money until you create your own company.

In order to have clients respect your work, try to be honest with them. Make it clear that you're training and tell them that your prices will be raise. And as beautynails just said, set a limit on how long you'll charge "student rates".

The money is given by family and close friends a gift of appreciation I do it for free if they have no money gotta practice!!!:lol:

where i live its illegal to practice on others unless they are fellow students. it used to be you could practice on ppl but you could only get a "generous tip" now if youre caught doing it, you get kicked out of school and will not be allowed to ever practice in this state.

personally i think its idiotic, esp since im the only nail tech student in my class and all i ever do at school is cut 900 yr old cornchip toes (think Dumb & Dumber) or rub funky old ppl feet:mad: grrrrrrr

I've felt uncomfortable about this one, cause i am still training. Since starting my course I've done a friend, a niece of someone from work & my mother in law. My friend asked how much, I said don't be silly. She said that she would get me some files etc, (She's got beauty qualific & got wholesaler card). Some one from work asked "how much", i said what ever you think: I got a £10. I did my mother in laws on Fri, she asked the same: No way am I taking money off you, you do child minding for me. I've not helped have I. But if i got £10 for full set training, maybe £6 for maint? But even though we are training, we still have to buy the material etc, so we need to get some money back. x

i practice on my friends, fellow students, and mom anyway! ^.^ we have to buy our own stuff also. we got an opi kit that had a lot of stuff like forms, brushes, etc. it had tiny trial sized acrylics in it while the hair students got giant 20oz sized l&p! :eek::mad:
so i only do their nails if i can use their products heheheh

Before i was qualified i never charged.. people gave me tips or gifts.. but i never took money. As soon as i qualified i charged $25 au for about 3 months.. to A) get the clients in and B) because i didnt feel my work was up to standard.

The minute i felt that i could give a fair set of salon nails my prices went up and the clients i had stayed.. because i was honest, and reliable.

I dont think anyone training should charge.. this is of course my opinion. I do think people training should get a hand trainer or 1 to 2 good friends to practise on, and then practise, practise, practise... The added stress of being paid can make you less confident and lead to problems further down the track..

I am doing things differently, I have a price list which clearly states the would be cost and the now cost, specifing the date at which it will change, ie:this is an introductory offer.

My clients are aware that I am new to the industry, I advise them that if they have any problems to call me, I call them a couple of days after the appointment to see how they are getting on, I provide them with aftercare cards, and sell a pinkie.

I am providing a service and I would find it difficult working for free then all of sudden telling them they have to pay. I am also using top quality products which dont come cheap and I have to re-stock, my insurance covers my training.

I am not the greatest nail tech (yet, but im working my ass off to get there) lol,

but I am improving all the time and my clients are coming back for re-balance and the like.

God bless the nail trainer but 100% perfect on that is nothing like a human hand and boy does it use product!

It seems to be working well for me & I think the experience will make the step into the salon easier for me.

Hope this helps anyone who is training at the moment.

Champagne xx

Latest posts

Back