How organised are you? (Business)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

izzidoll

Strictly Scottish Geek!
Premium Geek
Reaction score
The title says it all really.........Is it time for you to re assess how organised you are and maybe start to tweak a few things to make your work life easier and stress free? I may be a bit too organised (or so I have been told) Even down to how my work station was set out, with everything I needed placed in the order I would use it. Former students will testify to that :rolleyes: as I would always change their desks to suit me when demo'ing for them. Now my desk at work is also a mess free zone, with everything I need to hand.

I love lists!!.....and I list all the tasks that need done, and tick them off accordingly.

I know most salons have systems in place for stock control, although is there someone in overall charge of stock, or in big salons does the responsibility get shared out? Isn't that a recipe for disaster?? Or is that just the control freak in me freaking out?

How about you one man bands working mobile or in a home salon?
I have never worked mobile, but surely you have a tick list of all the products you need to take to do your treatments, and check it at least 3 times before you leave the house?

Do you keep a list of how much stock you have and stock levels and make sure you order from your suppliers in plenty time before you run out of anything, with the added benefit of placing larger orders, less often, possibly gaining with free postage?

Or are you a bit more haphazard, only noticing something has run out when a last minute booking requires that very product!! :eek:

That seriously would stress me out, and if it happened once I would ensure it wouldn't happen again!!

I am really interested in who the organised geeks are, and how it benefits them in running their business, large or small.

Also please post some good tips on being organised....apart from lists lol!!

Maybe it will help all the newbies on here pick up a few good habits, before they set up on their own!!

Well-defined roles and responsibilities are critical in any industry where there is more than one person working; also you need to know what to do if people are away from work, e.g. holiday, sick, maternity leave, etc. If the person who normally manages stock is away, then it's crucial that someone else be nominated to take care of that, to avoid running out of essential supplies at the most inopportune moment!
Posted via Mobile Device

i havent ben organised at all so far. but i know i need to start putting things into place. so this thread would be interesting

I am also very organised, always have been always will. My mum calls me the list queen lol! Goodness knows how many lists i will have when i set up mobile.

A good tip that i heard from someone on here (its not my idea- i take no responsibility for it!!) for mobile therapists. For each treatment you do type a piece of card or paper out with abosulutely everything you need for that treatment, then laminate it. You could even bind them together like a little book. Check, check, then check again!!

I have systems in place, and people have their jobs and responsibilities. Its the only way.

I think mobile therapists and technicians have to be the most organised. If I was mobile I think I would have most of my kit with me at every appointment so that I was prepared for any last minute additions.

When I rented space and when I had my small home salon, I would set aside some time each week to check that I had all the necessary stock in place.

Now that I am opening a salon, I think I will need to be much more methodical particularly since I expect to do a lot more retail. I intend to have a table of all the retail and replace items which have sold. I expect to do a stock take once a week and order perhaps once a month from my main suppliers.

I would be interested in some pointers here too.

Great thread Izzy! x:hug:

As a mobile I am very organised with where everything is and what I take with me...... All my kit has a place in my bag or box, that way I never forget things. I'm very good at making sure my kit box is adequately stocked.

Behind the scenes I'm not so organised...... My invoices are logged on my accounts spreadsheet but then the are added to my invoice pile :o, my Minx spreadsheet showing what Minx I had in stock and when they were needed would be great if I kept it up to date :o and I'm currently working my way through my clear tips because I haven't got round to re-ordering sizes 2, 3, 4 and 5 in natural :o...... And I haven't done my 08/09 tax return yet - I drive my husband barmy with my paperwork :green:!!

I'm very good at being in the right place at the right time with the right kit, but I'm like a swan - look calm and collected on the surface with legs going like mad underneath!!!!

Great thread :hug:!

omg, i am soooo disorganised! i cant believe you have a spreadsheet for your products!! i seem to always be busy in work with clients, when im finished im busy at home with the kids, housework, the gym, my dog...
my stock control consists of me seeing that stuff is running out! i know if i order one day it'll be there the next. My local sallys is just across the road so i ever run out of things i can scoot over there. if i have enough money in the bank i do try and order bigger quantities to save money. usually if i see an offer on wax or tan would be the things i try and stock up on.

omg, i am soooo disorganised! i cant believe you have a spreadsheet for your products!! i seem to always be busy in work with clients, when im finished im busy at home with the kids, housework, the gym, my dog...
my stock control consists of me seeing that stuff is running out! i know if i order one day it'll be there the next. My local sallys is just across the road so i ever run out of things i can scoot over there. if i have enough money in the bank i do try and order bigger quantities to save money. usually if i see an offer on wax or tan would be the things i try and stock up on.

yes this is me also running across the road to capital..lol

My goodness, You lot make me feel positively uptight and anal!!!
My managers do stock lists on Saturdays, according to our stocktake procedure and give me lists with Saturdays takings. Retail checks are scheduled in either monthly or to coincide with rep visits. All banking is done on a tues along with all bills being paid and post being sent. I should get out more eh?!

Great thread looking forward to picking up some tips!

I've not "gone live" yet, but I previously worked as a self employed consultant with Virgin Vie and had every bit of kit available.
Once I'm up and running I will more than likely organise myself in a similar way.
I had a kit bag for each "theme/treatment",
facials bag with products, towel, cotton wool etc
make-up case: products, brushes, mirrors etc
a bag with my bowls, glass marbles and towels for spa parties,
nail bag,
a box of bath & body products,
display stuff and paperwork,
and a folding table and stool.

tools and brushes etc were cleaned when I got home and put back in the correct bag once dried ready for the next party.

Had all my customer details filed in alphabetical order so that reordering the correct foundation etc was easier.

i turn up to clients homes 1/2 hour early to set up just how i like it... im kinda anal like that lol, i cant work if things arent in the right order:lol:

I am fairly organised with our promotions and now that the christmas one is sorted and ready to roll, I am thinking now about what to do for valentine's day and mothers day.

I used to be a list person and to a certain extent still am, but if I have a list and leave it in the kitche/reception desk my patner is a clean-a-holic and will throw it away. Needless to say most of my lists are now in my head.

I can't cope!!!! I need to get some help with admin and that will make life much easier for me. I do love a list though. xx

I have all the right intension's but never seem to be able to stick with it....

Right now my invoices are all screwed up in a carrier bag waiting for me to sort them out and do my books

I do tend to realize at the last minute that i am nearly out of top gloss

I do make lists but then lose the list

I cancel appointments but then forget to change the details in my diary

I write things on my hand to remember and then go wash my hands

I can never find a pen

Lost cause really......But a little bit of chaos never hurt anyone....and I know people who are so organized they are border line OCD :)

Great thread:green:

I work from home and yes i think im very organised:green:

I have my to do list

I file all reciepts each month and the end of each month fill my books out

Have everything writen in my diary amd check it daily for any changes

I have a list in my diary and when im low on product i write it on my list so i know to order it at the end of the month.

I have 2 of most things so if one does run out before the end of the month i always have a back up.

Right well Anal Kayleigh here, lol

LOVE lists and try desperately to be organised

I typed out a list of everything, products, disposables etc and laminated it so whenever i run low on something i mark it on my list. I order and then wipe it off so its reusable, saving the environment and all that.

I have a plastic wallet folder in the kitchen so that whenever i come home i put all my receipts in it and another for receipts that i have already typed up for my tax.

My mum gave me a pink label maker last week, thought i'd die from excitement.

Yes, i know i need to get out more, lol

Love love love lists.
But everything goes into my filofax, all appointments, what I have ordered, what I need to order, etc goes into the diary part of my diary.

I put my receipts in an envelope for that month, then I sit and write all the receipts down in a large ledger (a friend's accountant lost her receipts and the tax man said it was HER fault for not having a back up of what she had spent), 3 times a year I transfer them to excel sheets, but it still takes me 3 days to prepare my accounts for my accountant to sort out my tax return.

I keep an eye on what I need to order. I rent 2 rooms so tend to double up on a lot of things but things get a big hairy with stuff that I only have "one" of. for things that I only have one of I tend to keep at home so if I get an appointment I can then pack it into the car but I do cock up from time to time.

I once turned up for what I thought was an aromatherapy massage as the receptionist had written A W in the diary, it looked like A M but was infact algae wrap. I lost that client - never seen her again.

So, life in the chick kingdom isn't brilliant but most of the time it works.

I spend a day a week catching up, trying to decide if I need to order anything, sending off invoices and receipts, chasing up payments.

i spend far to long chasing up potential students and clients, updating websites, etc.

I too am like Vetty, I am a swan!

When I go to pamper parties, bringing upto 7 therapists with me, I have to be so organised to bring everything we all need, I use the Aldi shop black canvas bags turned inside out and iron on my logo printed on tshirt print paper, to put everything in. The a big and strong enough and clients comment on how impressive they look.
My paperwork side of things aren't so organised but because I struggle with this and know it's so imported to the smooth running of my business I have actually been to a hypnotist to help me be organised, she's been a great help. I'm so glad I made the appointment, i'm always willing to try new things :)
Anyone who has any seadsheet templates they feel would help me be more organised please PM me, as although getting organised, spreadsheets are not my strength, I just don't understand the programing of them, but can fill them in hehe.

Latest posts

Back