How to handle a stolen gift voucher?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karenrose

Reaction score
Bit of a long one! I apologise but really dont know how to handle this further!

My friend asked for a gift voucher for her works charity do. I had totally forgot to put a code on it so marked in my book the voucher with no code was the charity voucher for when it gets redeamed. I put the voucher through my friends door and at night she said she never got it! Turned out I put it through the wrong door. She went to the other house and they denied getting anything through the door. I wrote her another and marked in my book and told my colleagues that there is a "missing" voucher.

Yesterday someone called the salon to book in for shellac and tan saying they had a gift voucher. The "missing" voucher and the charity voucher were both for this and Iv not wrote another voucher for those 2 treatments. The girl was very rude and said shes not interested in a spray tan and can she change it to another shellac, I said no as its not transferable. She eventually agreed and asked to book in for late on a thursday night, as this is my only late night I get booked up quickly. And it was end of may before I could fit her in for these treatments together, she was very angry that she could not get booked in. I apologised and said I get busy quickly on thursdays and was there any other time she could do. She said no. She eventually got off the phone saying she will call back.
Later that day I get an email from her to say she spoke to a very rude girl on the phone (me) and she was very angry that she wasnt allowed to change what the voucher was for and also that the girl was unwilling to book her in. And also that there are no terms and conditions on the voucher which states that you must get the treatment mentioned on it and nothing on the website either which states this, which is fair enough. And that next to the code it is blank! This is when alarm bells started ringing!! Its the "missing" voucher!
I replied apologising for the phone call and that if she could call back we can discuss things - no phone call or reply by email as of yet!

So not only do I have someone who wants to change the treatment, she is unhappy I am busy and cant book in when its convienent to her but now she is trying to use the "missing" voucher! I cant just turn around and say I put that voucher through the wrong door and its void and cant be used, how do I prove this to her? It could of been her house or the person who got it might of given it to a friend and this is the girl who called.

I have spent all day trying to figure out what to do about this. The 2 treatments take an hour altogether and I cant just do it to stop her complaining as its an hour out my time for no money using a gift voucher that wasnt bought by someone or given out by me!

Help please! I really dont know how to handle this or what to say to her! :eek:

I would challenge her, and say where did you get the gift voucher from, and say you have one that was stolen and it is now void.xxx

Just off the top of my head and without thinking it through properly, could you contact her and ask who purchased the voucher as you keep records. Also advise that you've had a batch of vouchers gone missing so they have no code against them and your contacting the police for insurance purposes. Call her bluff and see how she reacts. I can't type much more as using my phone, sorry

Sent from my HTC Desire

I would email her back and advise her that this is a stolen gift voucher and that you would appreciate her assistance in finding out where she got it from.

You could also perhaps say that the matter was reported to the police as an incident and her information would be very useful to them.

If you want to you could actually report the matter online to the police and you will automatically be given an asignment number which you could quote to this girl. The police will eventually contact you and tell you there is nothing they can do to help (probably) but you would have the incident number and you wouldn't be telling a fib.

Jacqui xx

I would ask for the voucher code and when she is unable to give it to you explain that there is a situation with a voucher and let her know that the voucher is stolen and therefore void. Ask her if the voucher was given to her as a gift, in which case the customer who bought the voucher is more than welcome to get in touch with you and you can discuss it with them. If she claims to have bought the voucher from your salon you will soon be able to tell if she is lying because you would have written the voucher in the book.

I would definately be non acusatory and very calm as lets face it, there could be a reason, the neighbour may have forwarded it to the charity, they may have auctioned 2 vouchers etc

Be strong but calm, hope that helps :green:

I would definately be non acusatory and very calm as lets face it, there could be a reason, the neighbour may have forwarded it to the charity, they may have auctioned 2 vouchers etc

Be strong but calm, hope that helps :green:

There was nothing on it to mention the charity do. The voucher was in an envelope and then wrapped up in a bag with some of my leaflets. No note etc as I thought it was going through my friends door and she knew I was putting it through.

Thanks I think I will log the incident that there is a "missing" voucher and could be seen as theft as it wasnt given back to me. And I will wait till tomorrow night to see if she responds and if not I will email her back saying I really need to speak to her as theres a problem with some gift vouchers and I believe it could be one that she has.

I just wasnt sure what to say as she is already angry about not being able to use the voucher Im not sure how she will react when I tell her this! x

I would be careful about saying it has been stolen to her as technically it wasn't; it was put through someone's door. As she sounds a pretty unpleasant person she might cry slander. Maybe you could ask your friend her neighbour's name and this will inform you of whether it was passed on or not.

Could you not just say ' sorry but a voucher without a code is not valid' and that is that...when you write the codes in the book do you take the name of the person who bought it?

Is this YOUR business?
Sorry I know people won't agree with me and I do understand that you need to keep clients happy...
But people like this aren't worth it!!

I will never need some ones money enough that I have to put up with that.
I'd rather be £20 down and not be spoken to like that thanks!! x

I'd point blank say it has no code on it so it must be the missing voucher (would still apologise for putting it through wrong door) and maybe offer 20% off shellac for the misunderstanding.

But as I said... Do you REALLY want her custom?
x

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek

I had a similar problem last year. To cut a long story short someone tried to use a voucher that wasn't valid and I explained there had been a problem with a batch of vouchers (white lie - it was just one voucher) and whilst I was more than willing to honour the voucher, because it wasn't her fault, I would have to notify the police due to my insurance protocol. Funnily enough she said she'd phone back and didn't!

Every voucher I do I put the persons name on it. I had one client who purchased one for her friend. She rang and told me that she went out to a club a few nights later and her bag was stolen with the voucher in it. I did the massage as she had it at her friends house who bought the voucher for her....

A little while later (month or so) someone rang trying to book in to redeem it. She said her boyfriend gave it to her. I said, 'is that the voucher for xxx? I told the that voucher had already been redeemed. She hung up in a hurry.

I only do a handful of vouchers a year so I know exactly what is or isn't outstanding.

In your case, I'd just say that unless it has a number on it it isn't valid as you keep a record of all vouchers and ask her where she got it as it has been reported as a missing voucher to insurance and police. You won't hear from her again.

I think I'd put it down to experience, treat the client, and be more careful in the future about codes and delivery!

I think I'd put it down to experience, treat the client, and be more careful in the future about codes and delivery!

I agree.
I always put the persons name on the voucher, as this stops people handing them on to others, (which I had happen in the past).

Ask this ladies address? If it's the next door house to your friend, then you'll know. However, I don't think you can class it as 'stolen'. So give her the treatments on the voucher. I wouldn't change them for her; but do put on your vouchers and website that they cannot be exchanged for cash or changed for other treatments.

Good luck...and like Lynne said...put it down to experience. :)

Strictly speaking its not stollen it was just put through her door by mistake. Sadly she is one of the people who have enough cheek to take advantage of this mistake. We all make them though and whilst its gonna hurt it may be best to treat her and get it out of the way:hug:x

Hi...

What an unpleasant situation! I suspect she is trying to pull one over on you... I would ask her about where she got it as some
Had gone missing. I wouldn't antagonise here just yet by saying 'stolen' but you are under no obligation to treat her. I would say it's not valid without a code unless you can find the name of the person that bought it. I'm sure she'll run a mile!

Let us know how you get on! X

yes i like that suggestion above, tell her as she doesnt have the code on it you need the name of the person who bought it so you can match it off with when it was sold in your book! As she didnt buy it nor gain it lawfully she wont be able to give this info.
It was put through a door by mistake and when questioned the person at the address lied and said they'd not had it, i dont think they deserve the benefit of it.

This might sound a little controversial, but the lady who called could be the lady from the house where you posted the voucher. She could infact see it as a promotional voucher, it was posted through her door afterall? Personally I would have been honest & called you to explain that I had a voucher and didn't know why.
Although I do agree with the above that you could explain some "missing vouchers" and she what she says... If that fails I'm afraid you may have to honour it :(

Sam x

Some say it's not stolen.

My question then is: if the postman delivers a parcel to the wrong door, and the person to whom it is intended is billed for the contents of the parcel they haven't received.... what then?

If one of my parcels got delivered to my neighbor, and I asked them about it, and they denied it.... you can bet your bottom they'd be thiefs in my book.

They were directly asked about the voucher and CHOSE to lie!

voucher/parcel, same thing. Stolen property.

And as said, there is no code, so they can't redeem the code. AND do you really want a client that's a liar? Gosh knows what she'll say/do next.

It was definitely immoral to lie about it not having been put through door (not sure if the OP has found out if would-be client was one and the same?) I think, however, some careful handling is needed as this person sounds like trouble. No, I don't mean cave in, but, in my opinion, be very careful not to accuse her of theft because (A) it's a grey area and (B) she could use the suggestion to make trouble.

It was definitely immoral to lie about it not having been put through door (not sure if the OP has found out if would-be client was one and the same?) I think, however, some careful handling is needed as this person sounds like trouble. No, I don't mean cave in, but, in my opinion, be very careful not to accuse her of theft because (A) it's a grey area and (B) she could use the suggestion to make trouble.
yes I agree, handle with great care, you've already had problems with her on the phone so imagine what she would be like if crossed. which makes me think, she rang up with an attitude - she probably knows that its a dodgy voucher.

Latest posts

Back