How to spot a forum bully

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The bullying isn't always obvious on threads. Little cliques form and they message each other to get the others to come on the thread and stir the crap and the disagree or be confrontational with the person they're ganging up on.

Also, if you notice that where there's some 'action' on a thread, that gets loads more views than other threads. So how do you work that one out?

Blimey do people have such boring lives that's their idea of fun?!

its best not to speculate about the bullies/bullied on the hair forum, too many people getting told off. Just as much as I fully agree that bullying is not to be tolerated - sometimes certain members were being deliberately stalked and provoked and its all unnecessary, we've lost some really good sound geeks who may have been a little sharp at times but knew their facts. shame, everyone needs to put their tailcombs down and be nice, and that includes all the self righteous ones who think they are above it - maybe some of their answers appear a little sharp as well?:)

This was posted as a thought provoking piece not to be yet another avenue to express all the conspiracy theories about banned members. If you can all put your hand on hearts and count how many people have been banned in your time on here apart from spammers, do you not think that people who get banned, will get banned for a reason and we do not do it lightly.

There are many people who have multiple personalities on here for whatever reason and when we get iron clad evidence then they will be dealt with - what you think you know may not be what we know! Taking the "law" into your own hands and deliberately setting out to target someone because you think they are someone else, is this not classed as bullying, hmm! What if you are wrong, it could happen!

I must be in the twilight zone!

I have no idea what is going on anymore .. multiple personalities and secret groups targeting others :twisted: :eek: :confused: :sad:

OMG.

Really?

Bullying isn't nice, it can come from every level, from the top such as managers who use their authority to get to people when they go on a power trip to the lowest of the low who do it to get a leg up. I don't feel correcting things that are set in stone is bullying which is why i started 2 simple threads to clear up confusion and stop people having to continually repeat themselves which is often pointed out as bullying.

Maybe it's time that the pettiness ended on here on all levels, from the top to the bottom, the ones in between and the ones who feel they are top even though they aren't. If there are queen bee's then the smoke comes and they can be exterminated.... Just like the bee's who set up nest in my lawn were xoxo

Bullying isn't nice, it can come from every level, from the top such as managers who use their authority to get to people when they go on a power trip to the lowest of the low who do it to get a leg up. I don't feel correcting things that are set in stone is bullying which is why i started 2 simple threads to clear up confusion and stop people having to continually repeat themselves which is often pointed out as bullying.

Maybe it's time that the pettiness ended on here on all levels, from the top to the bottom, the ones in between and the ones who feel they are top even though they aren't. If there are queen bee's then the smoke comes and they can be exterminated.... Just like the bee's who set up nest in my lawn were xoxo

Oh no I like bees! Very important little creatures...send them to my garden I've bought bee and butterfly encouraging plants....yet to actually be planted.

#wayofftopic! ;-)

Tomme my lovely I wish I could say I knew that to which you refer and I wish I knew a fraction of what is going on here on Salon Geek lol.

xx

Tomme my lovely I wish I could say I knew that to which you refer and I wish I knew a fraction of what is going on here on Salon Geek lol.

xx

It's just a general, things like bleach and 12 on scalp, bred colour, toner without skin test and how to use a colour wheel, them are things that are regularly corrected, usually with the person who gave the wrong information kicking off.
If fundamentals are set on a separate thread, where the information is not in reply but said as a fact then there isn't any need for someone to take things the wrong way and personal.

I have found on a couple of occasions but quite bullying bit bitchy comments that have gone from making a opinion to being spiteful to which I have defended a company I trained in and one time someone was rude to me just because I put pictures of other clients nails and not mine on what nails r u sporting so I said I would no longer post anything as it was offending people. It did hurt and I wax upset. Probably should not take it personal but I was bullied as a child and I won't put up with it now I'm not the best at my job and I remind myself if that every day and try to work hard to be the best in my area but I don't pick in other people because I have a masters in lashes lol. But in the end I can never stay away as I love this site and it feels like a big family of advice so ill just tell those naughty peeps to sit on their naughty step from now I and keep asking advice weather they like it or not lol xxx

I was completely unaware that some people had been banned?!

I wouldn't say I've been bullied but i do feel very invisible sometimes ! Maybe I'm just a sensitive puppy !!! It does make me feel like I am inadequate but hey ho I'll carry on just reading lots I feel and dropping in the odd comment all stealth like ... ;0) x good article though x

I appreciate there is etiquette and rules with regards to forums and I as a relatively new user I had to learn fast! I have received the odd patronising and curt response however overall I think this forum is an amazing tool of which, I rave about to my students ! I do think to a newbie it could be very intimidating I would like to see a forum aimed purely at students or less experienced therapist then there could be more mentoring support rather than

I have no idea what is going on anymore .. multiple personalities and secret groups targeting others :twisted: :eek: :confused: :sad:

OMG.

Really?

I'm just as baffled as you JA!

This is one of the reasons I've pretty much left SG - very valuable resource but I can't stand the bullying, nastiness, & bitchy comments from the same people. Oh and the witch hunts!

Not everyone is like that, it's really one or two that bother me but the fact they are held up in high regard bothers me because it reflects the whole community :(

Great article xxx

I would say there is a "Queen Bee"on salon geek. I wonder if she would read that and think of herself. She doesn't bother me though as I try and avoid her as she scares me. Lol!
I have been in tears once over something someone said on SG and I think it is bullying. I'm still angry about it now.

Me too!

OMG.

Really?

I agree with you jacqui....I must be very innocent as I am totally at a loss as to what some of these posts are about.

Innocent or oblivious....not sure . maybe both.

I have found on a couple of occasions but quite bullying bit bitchy comments that have gone from making a opinion to being spiteful to which I have defended a company I trained in and one time someone was rude to me just because I put pictures of other clients nails and not mine on what nails r u sporting so I said I would no longer post anything as it was offending people. It did hurt and I wax upset. Probably should not take it personal but I was bullied as a child and I won't put up with it now I'm not the best at my job and I remind myself if that every day and try to work hard to be the best in my area but I don't pick in other people because I have a masters in lashes lol. But in the end I can never stay away as I love this site and it feels like a big family of advice so ill just tell those naughty peeps to sit on their naughty step from now I and keep asking advice weather they like it or not lol xxx

Becky, I know to what thread & comment you are referring to. After you left, there where other geeks that also did as you did & completely ignored that posters opinion! It's very political, don't let anyone bully you into not placing your work or your opinion on here, otherwise 'they' have won & with winning they become full of their own importance.

I'm so sick of all the rude and unnecessary comments its putting me off coming on here :-( x

babychops, i feel a bit naive to whatever goes on on here but please dont leave, this is a great resource on here xx

Many years ago I was bullied at work because I asked difficult questions, looked a bit different to most of my cohorts, and almost ended up in the psychiatric hospital "Park Prewitt" in Basingstoke.

Everyone knew it was going on but nobody, it seemed, had the guts to stand up to the institutional bullying that was going on. It got so bad with me that even Radio 4 made a programme about it, and I appeared in a book - link attached.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bullying-At...sr=8-1&keywords=bullying+at+work+andrea+adams

That said, there is a caveat on internet fora.

If one joins a forum and has posted nary a thing, it is not a good idea to wade in with criticisms and accusations, and strident opinion. Far better to be a lurker for a while and test the waters so to speak. To get an idea of the atmosphere almost.

For instance, on one (now thankfully deleted) thread, I was attacked for having an opinion, and asking what could be described as "awkward" questions. Not only on the public forum, but via private message, and all by someone who actually was lying about who and what they were! They weren't even a qualified therapist, but the best friend of the company owner!

I try to think of myself as being a straight down the line kinda person; comfortable in my own skin, and this vile individual (remember, they're not a therapist) reduced me to tears and gin.

Make no mistake though, I will stand up for professionalism, expertise, honesty and integrity, and if I feel that anyone, newby or other, is belittling that my dander will be well and truly up!

Many years ago I was bullied at work because I asked difficult questions, looked a bit different to most of my cohorts, and almost ended up in the psychiatric hospital "Park Prewitt" in Basingstoke.

Everyone knew it was going on but nobody, it seemed, had the guts to stand up to the institutional bullying that was going on. It got so bad with me that even Radio 4 made a programme about it, and I appeared in a book - link attached.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bullying-At...sr=8-1&keywords=bullying+at+work+andrea+adams

That said, there is a caveat on internet fora.

If one joins a forum and has posted nary a thing, it is not a good idea to wade in with criticisms and accusations, and strident opinion. Far better to be a lurker for a while and test the waters so to speak. To get an idea of the atmosphere almost.

For instance, on one (now thankfully deleted) thread, I was attacked for having an opinion, and asking what could be described as "awkward" questions. Not only on the public forum, but via private message, and all by someone who actually was lying about who and what they were! They weren't even a qualified therapist, but the best friend of the company owner!

I try to think of myself as being a straight down the line kinda person; comfortable in my own skin, and this vile individual (remember, they're not a therapist) reduced me to tears and gin.

Make no mistake though, I will stand up for professionalism, expertise, honesty and integrity, and if I feel that anyone, newby or other, is belittling that my dander will be well and truly up!
Good for you 😄

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back