How would you feel about adverts?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you feel about banner ads?

• I feel great. You can never have too many on a site!

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • Well, if its the only way to keep things free, I guess I am OK with it

Votes: 168 62.0%
  • Aw man, you cant be serious! That really sucks. But if you have to - you have to

Votes: 57 21.0%
  • Viva la geek! Shut the damn site down rather than put banner ads!

Votes: 13 4.8%

• Total voters

The Geek

Grand Master Geek
Premium Geek
Reaction score
Hey all.

I am really cringing as I write this as I have really tried for a long time to run this site with no advertising. The sad news is that under the current popularity of the site, the costs of hosting are skyrocketing.

I am now using five to six times more bandwidth per month now than I was last October when we moved to this server. That means that I am more than doubling my bandwidth allocation of 30gig per month so on top of my normal bandwidth allocation, server hosting and software provided that I pay monthly for, I am getting hammered at a surcharge per gig over my allocation.

The premium subscriptions are definitely helping, but they are still a far cry from covering my expenditure. That leaves me with a couple of choices:

Move servers. I may do this anyway as I have investigated a solution that allocates my 100gig per month of bandwidth. However if the current trend continues - I will exceed that by the end of the year.

Introduce advertising banners. Blech. Personally, I hate the things as they clutter up sites and can be annoying. If I do go down this route, I will have the option for premium subscribers to turn them off, but they would have to hang around for everyone else.

What I want to know is: What are your feeling about them on this site? I know no one would jump and down about it... but - would it really matter to you? Would you be offended? Would you shut off your computer and go watch Trisha instead?

Like I said. I am simply testing the waters. I would prefer not to have to go down this route, but I cant continue to fork out the excess that I have been.

Maybe I can squeeze the new server guys for a better deal :irked:

Personally, I would say you have to do what you have to do! If that means advertising banners then so be it. If people dont want to look at them they can always become premium geeks lol.

It certainly wouldn't stop me from using this site I know that much and I would rather see the ads than no more nail geek site due to the costs of running it!!

What about if the ads were nail related? is that an option? x

Yea, they would have to all be nail related. Would be pants to have ads for ear cleaners floating across the top. O... then again - everyone loves a good ear cleaner!

No way would I switch off to watch Trisha :lol: , this site is far too valuable, so in answer to your question I wouldn't mind.

It's a shame that not everyone has become premium geeks. If they did, would this help?

Hey there don't cringe, it think banner adverts are more than acceptable, as long as there are no freakin pop ups :twisted:

It will help bring deals or new products to our attention.

As long as the content is healthy...lol....and organic...lol sorry I just had to.....then I dont have any objections.

Serviously, I know you will not let any crap on here so dont feel bad be glad...

Same here.. If it'll keep the costs down, then what's the harm. Just ignore them..

That would be my question too - would it help if more of us became premium geeks? I don't like banner ads but it wouldn't stop me using the site :rolleyes: - it's too addictive (and brilliant of course) ! x

Hey Sam, bring on the ads. There everywhere else on the 'net and we're still alive, so I reckon we can handle a few in here.

That's ok with me, there's no reason why you should have to pay to keep this site going. I would rather there be ads than no site at all, i have found this site invaluable. I'm just sorry that I can't afford to subscribe..... yet! Maybe when my training pays off!

Definately not a problem with the ads im so engrossed normally in the posts that i probably wouldnt even notice they were there!! x x

Do what you gotta do Mr Geek - we all apreciate just how much time and energy this site must need, and I for one am really grateful.

If the ads are nail related, and theres no pop-ups (hate them hate them hate them!!) then bring it on!

We'll still be here - a few ads wont scare us away!

To try and do my bit, I shall become a Premium geek right now....

Go for it!

I love a good ad - I'm a marketing man's dream!

Karen
xxx

No probs here, we could all try to do 'our thing' by clicking on at least one per day to make sure it pays! Is that how the banner ads work or am I talking outta my bum! :lol:

Hey thanks!

mmkay. Seems everyone is feeling okayish about this (except me. I am the one who chose viva la geek!).
I hate popups too. However it may be funny to do popups for those not registered and no ads for Premmees. ;)

JackieMc said:
No probs here, we could all try to do 'our thing' by clicking on at least one per day to make sure it pays! Is that how the banner ads work or am I talking outta my bum! :lol:
Some do. I don't think I would need to rely specifically on click thru (still would help!). I think just having a nail specific ad in front of the almost 1,000 people that come through here every day looking for nail information would warrant a flat rate charge + click thru's.

I wouldnt be looking for too much anyway. After all - Im not looking to buy a new house in Cheshire - I just want my bills reduced ;)

i agree with everyone else, do what you have to do if it means we still get this wonderful site.
i think we all realise its the real world and if we want to keep this site then adverts/banners must be the way to go.........we know at the end of the day sam you are doing what you have to do to keep this site running and we appreciate it

It really does'nt bother me in the slightest, ads or no ads, as long as I can read the forums and get my daily fix I don't care :lol:

The Nail Geek said:
However it may be funny to do popups for those not registered and no ads for Premmees. ;)

You have a wicked sense of humour...... great idea! :twisted:

The Nail Geek said:
I hate popups too. However it may be funny to do popups for those not registered and no ads for Premmees. ;)

:wink2: you are a mischief maker Sam!

As for the ads i don't like them i hate those pop ups, but i hate to think this is costing you money to keep us all entertained so you do what you have to do Sam I'm with you 100% :p

Go for it!!

If the ads are nail related then they could certainly be a help - I for one am always looking for new products, ideas etc.

You got my vote!!!

Latest posts

Back