How would you feel about adverts?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you feel about banner ads?

• I feel great. You can never have too many on a site!

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • Well, if its the only way to keep things free, I guess I am OK with it

Votes: 168 62.0%
  • Aw man, you cant be serious! That really sucks. But if you have to - you have to

Votes: 57 21.0%
  • Viva la geek! Shut the damn site down rather than put banner ads!

Votes: 13 4.8%

• Total voters
Sarwaa said:
I don't think you can really complain about that, for the site is called The NAIL Geek and it was created to chat about nails. You could have waited, I have been in the chat room loads and the conversation is rarely about nails.

Sarah

There's no need to point out to me what this site is called.

Im not particularly bothered about off topic discussions. Hell, I have posted a few in my time. TO me, it helps create a mix of a community - thats what we are - one big ol honkin family/community.

Chat away - just use common sense and stick it in the right forum. On that note there are some realllly way off topic topics floating about.

Still - I would rather have some of those and keep the sense of community (even at the extra cost).

bimbogeri said:
I don't think using the chit chat forum for chat is abusing it at all - it's what it's there for! If we were only meant to talk about nails then there wouldn't be a chit chat forum.
Yes, sometimes I have looked at threads started and thought, 'er, why'? The problem is that minus the shoutbox people sometimes have to start threads that would normally start there. But this is meant to be a community for nail techs not just about nails.
I'm sure people might be more careful now they know that this is costing Sam money.
As for using the chat room and not the forum, the techs near are from all around the world, so at least a thread is always 'open' for people to add comments when they log on, not just when people are available to chat.

Like I said, I will be more careful now what I post, but the chit chat forum is FOR chat so I don't think anyone is doing anything wrong by using it.

EXACTLY!!!!

bimbogeri said:
I don't think using the chit chat forum for chat is abusing it at all - it's what it's there for! If we were only meant to talk about nails then there wouldn't be a chit chat forum.
Yes, sometimes I have looked at threads started and thought, 'er, why'? The problem is that minus the shoutbox people sometimes have to start threads that would normally start there. But this is meant to be a community for nail techs not just about nails.
I'm sure people might be more careful now they know that this is costing Sam money.
As for using the chat room and not the forum, the techs near are from all around the world, so at least a thread is always 'open' for people to add comments when they log on, not just when people are available to chat.

Like I said, I will be more careful now what I post, but the chit chat forum is FOR chat so I don't think anyone is doing anything wrong by using it.

Well said Lol, you have a fantastic way with words, i know what i wanna say but it never comes out exactly how i want it to!!!

Amanda

Is this really the thread to be arguing guys?

Hi all,

I am not saying don't chat at all, but when some people do not seem to think before they post (which can be quite clearly seen on several occasions, just like you say Geri) it does seem like it is being abused.

Most people on the site do not help at all with the cost of running the site, you don't have to it is a free community just like it was intended.

I would just like to see more people like yourself Geri just considering what they post, and it would help Sam if more people paid to be a premium geek, just because you don't have to pay dosn't mean it isn't right too.

You have all had the benefits of gained friendships and infomation why not just give a little thought to the VERY KIND man that provided us wil all this.

Sarah

The Nail Geek said:
Is this really the thread to be arguing guys?

Me not arguing Sam:wink2: anyway i think adds are always good for business!!!!

Amanda:hug:

The Nail Geek said:
Im not particularly bothered about off topic discussions. Hell, I have posted a few in my time. TO me, it helps create a mix of a community - thats what we are - one big ol honkin family/community.

Chat away - just use common sense and stick it in the right forum. On that note there are some realllly way off topic topics floating about.

Still - I would rather have some of those and keep the sense of community (even at the extra cost).

Yeah you're right and I do agree; it was just the observation that just lately there seems to be an awful lot of 'chat' that is way off as you put and less nail related responses where people have asked questions but got very little response. It just gets a bit boring sometimes to come on and all you get is 'chat' but I'm not against it either.. I sure like to chat myself lol but I want more 'nail suff' thats all.

Sam, Banner ads if necessary, my understanding of these is they are related to the key words on the forum at the time so should be interesting, although, sometimes when we go off topic, love to see what they throw up then, especially with valentines day this week, some of the posts were quite saucy!!

Reality check, it is expensive, the intention was always to make the site accessible for everyone and in many way, it is an indication of how successful the site is. I think cutting down a few unneccessary posts will not make much of a difference, the post count must be in the region of 300 per day now, that is success.

There is no way you could pay for this amount of education and support, practical and emotional. Let's go for banners!

Cathy

Sarwaa said:
Hi all,

I am not saying don't chat at all, but when some people do not seem to think before they post (which can be quite clearly seen on several occasions, just like you say Geri) it does seem like it is being abused.

Most people on the site do not help at all with the cost of running the site, you don't have to it is a free community just like it was intended.

I would just like to see more people like yourself Geri just considering what they post, and it would help Sam if more people paid to be a premium geek, just because you don't have to pay dosn't mean it isn't right too.

You have all had the benefits of gained friendships and infomation why not just give a little thought to the VERY KIND man that provided us wil all this.

Sarah

i think the problem is that no one really gives much thought to how much this site costs to run....i will admit that untill i read this thread it was something that didnt cross my mind..........i was a premium geek for a while, it just expired about a month ago and right now i am not in the financial position to subsribe again right now and i am sure many others are in the same position.....maybe now that its been pointed out then it will make us all more aware that this site does not run on fresh air.

as for the chit chat forum well thats exactly why it was put there, to seperate everyday chit chat from the nail related chat that the forum was initially intended for and as even sam himself says he is not against it and has posted more than his fair share of non nail realted threads in his time.

the chit chat forum has been a bit of a lifesaver for me lately especially at 4am in the morning when i am unable to sleep as baby is bouncing on my bladder.......i often sit at the comp reading through the posts while tucking into pieces with salt and vinegar crisps and salad cream......lol

so yes if banners are what it takes to help then so be it and now that we are all aware of the cost of running the site then i am sure we will all try and help out a bit....but do you know what....BAH HUMBUG to anyone who doesnt like the chat forum....if you dont like it then dont read it....simple as that!!! :p

stanleyann

So anyway.............pop ups? Bit annoying yes but not the end of the world. If it helps keep cost down then go for it.

popups suck. I will reserve popups for the banned members :lol:

Fab Freak said:
Hey there don't cringe, it think banner adverts are more than acceptable, as long as there are no freakin pop ups :twisted:

It will help bring deals or new products to our attention.

As long as the content is healthy...lol....and organic...lol sorry I just had to.....then I dont have any objections.

Serviously, I know you will not let any crap on here so dont feel bad be glad...

Hi GMG

I would have written the same as I truly detest pop ups but don't mind the ads at all, who knows it might just add to our already beneficial advice/info that we get on this site.

I say bring it on!! :)

The Nail Geek said:

Here here!!!

This is a brilliant place and I have met and made some great friends through this site and learned so much. I didnt know how to forward my nail education or why I didnt feel particularly fulfilled by it and then I came accross this site and the dedication of Mr and Mrs Geek and the people that share their experiences and the genuine caring of the great geeks. It is fantastic! Sam if you need to add banners thats definately ok by me and if they are nail related even better :) and to the rest of the non premium geeks you should go for it and join coz every little must help :)

Hi Sam

Just an idea, and i dont know a whole lot about internet stuff, but bearing in mind we have, sorry you have ! lol in excess of 3000 members what proportion of these have not logged in say in last 3 or 6 months ? - could you set something up to remove these members or disable them automatically after a certain period ? would this be a way of cutting back on space etc ??

HATE pop ups but LOVE geek - id be completely lost without it and the people in it - so whatever we need to contribute we will - we get so much out of this site, both the information and the people, and you shouldnt be out of pocket - id happily subscribe full stop to this site, premium geek or not, id even pay a supplement for subscribing for the premium status / facilities - its probably not something you want to do but the demand is there and the premium is minimal for the pleasure and learnings we get out of it

I support whatever decision is made so long as GEEK STAYS 'cause GEEK ROCKS

kx

The Nail Geek said:

:lol: PMSL! Cool!

bimbogeri said:

couldn't have put it better myself

GMG, is there anything else we could do to help lower the bandwith being used? Say, smaller signatures, not using coloured text, making sure our PM inboxes are clear - would any of those help or are they a drop in the ocean, as it were?

Thanks guys, but things like stagnent members and full PM boxes are things that require disk space, not bandwidth. Disk space is cheap - bandwidth (at least at this amount) is not so much.

Im not saying I am about to go bankrupt - just that I need a more creative way of offsetting costs :wink2:
I hate adverts and really dont want them (thats why they arent here). But it is looking like it will be the way forward. Together with Premee subscriptions - I could actually break even here!

nJoy the site as you always have.

Latest posts

Back