How would you feel about adverts?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you feel about banner ads?

• I feel great. You can never have too many on a site!

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • Well, if its the only way to keep things free, I guess I am OK with it

Votes: 168 62.0%
  • Aw man, you cant be serious! That really sucks. But if you have to - you have to

Votes: 57 21.0%
  • Viva la geek! Shut the damn site down rather than put banner ads!

Votes: 13 4.8%

• Total voters
Its a real shame to have annoying pop ups but if needs must..... saying that and I'll probably get thrown rotten tomatoes at me here but its a real shame that valuable space is being taken up on this site by general gossip and drival... not being argumentative at all but I have noticed just lately that there is an awful lot of posts and threads that are not just non-nail related but down right.. what can I say.... about absolutely nothing! Now I know its great to come on here and chat to fellow nail techs but I think there are some things that could be PM'd to each other rather than take up space that ultimately is going to cost more money to maintain.

Sorry if I offend anyone..... its just an observation......

Every where else on the net has advertisements, it is just a way of letting people know whats available to them and if its all nail related whats the harm.:biggrin:

If it keeps the cost down go for it.

I for one would be interested in having a banner on the geek site.

Go for it Sam,

I wouldnt be able to be the nail technician i want to be without this site and the help and support network that are on here, if it means having to put up with ads then so be it and at the end of the day why should you have to fork out for us lot.

Please no pop ups cant stand them

hiya ,

I would rarther not have the ad's but then i dont have to pay for the upkeep of this site so i think Trisha here i come !!!!

as if !!!!!!!go for it sam
xx

The Nail Geek said:
What I want to know is: What are your feeling about them on this site? I know no one would jump and down about it... but - would it really matter to you? Would you be offended? Would you shut off your computer and go watch Trisha instead?

I watch Trisha whilst I am on this site! Yes, I am very sad but it is entertaining viewing!

If you need to put ads on the site - so be it! It wouldn't bother me too much and if it did I would become a premium geek!

Mani-fique! said:
its a real shame that valuable space is being taken up on this site by general gossip and drival... `not being argumentative at all but I have noticed just lately that there is an awful lot of posts and threads that are not just non-nail related but down right.. what can I say.... about absolutely nothing! Now I know its great to come on here and chat to fellow nail techs but I think there are some things that could be PM'd to each other rather than take up space that ultimately is going to cost more money to maintain.

Sorry if I offend anyone..... its just an observation......

I agree with you Tamm, it does annoy me when I see people just waffling on about stuff that is nothing to do with nails. They do not seem to care that they are effectively spending someone else's money (Sam's). If you want to tell all of cyberspace about your life create a blog, or exchange MSN addys and chat there.

Just like Tamm, I hope I don't offend anyone, the intention is not to.

Sarah

Go for it!
I dont really like the idea of a banner but it makes sense and it wouldnt really bother me...............unless it was that one with the flashing long pink nails and urm .......! Well lets just say thats the only thing that would make me switch off from this site!

I hate banner ads, pop-ups etc etc, but the sums don't add up!!

Geek - banners = no geek = sad Sassy :cry:

Geek + banners = geek = happy Sassy :wink2:
So if banners are the way forward then do it!!

I agree with the others though there have been quite a few threads lately that are just gossip - but I do love 'em, makes the site fun!!! But I didn't realise the effects that these would have on the site as a whole though re space.

A boy has to do what a boy has to do. Those who are not fans of Banners will perhaps be more willing to become Premium Geeks. I feel this site is so valuable to me that the least I could do was become a premium geek and give the support I can. Banners won't put me off.

I don't mind at all about banners, pop-ups are a pain in the ass but you just scroll past the banner, it's not going to take up a lot of room. Essentially it will be a bit like an extension of the link section, just always there.
Banners are a small price to pay for the invaluability of the site.
I never thought about the number of 'non nails' posts costing money, so I for one will try not to post nonsense :D

Hey Sam, Although the pop ups can be annoying, it doesnt take much for us to move our mouse and click em away. I feel that you should go ahead, I mean you have given us this site, spent countless hours updating it and given everyone one of us your help, knowledge and valuable information. Save the money you are spending and go and treat yourself and Mrs Geek. You deserve it.....

David

Sarwaa said:
I agree with you Tamm, it does annoy me when I see people just waffling on about stuff that is nothing to do with nails. They do not seem to care that they are effectively spending someone else's money (Sam's). If you want to tell all of cyberspace about your life create a blog, or exchange MSN addys and chat there.

Just like Tamm, I hope I don't offend anyone, the intention is not to.

Sarah

But isn't this the point of having the "chit-chat" section?

I feel like I've made some new friends through this site and I like chatting to them through this site, which is what we have in common. I feel able to open up to people on here, everyone is so friendly and it's good to be able to come on here and ask other geeks their opinions on all sorts of issues, personal or otherwise. Personally I enjoy finding out things like what other geeks are reading, how they spent valentines day and what month they are born in!

And what about all the geeks who've despaired about something, nail related or not, have put up a thread and then felt so much better when they've received support and advice from other geeks?

Don't get me wrong - I don't come on here just to chat. As a beginner in the nail industry this site has provided me with invaluable advice and support. It is fantastic how you can come onto this site as a complete stranger, ask a question or explain a problem and geeks will come to the rescue! I have printed out tutorials, useful threads and have asked for advice myself.

I don't want to "tell all of cyberspace about my life" - but I enjoy chatting about my life with other geeks and learning as much about nails as I possibly can.

Rant over now. I don't want to cause offence either but just want to point out that this site is a lot to do with friendships brought about through nails and why shouldn't friends chat to each other?

Yes its great to meet new people but why not use the chat room.....

I agree that the site it a great way to make new friends but when others are paying for the prividge I think you need to respect that and not abuse it.

Sarah

Mani-fique! said:
Yes its great to meet new people but why not use the chat room.....

I tried to the other night but the conversation taking place was about nails (fair enough but you've just suggested using the chat room to "chat"), I felt like I couldn't interupt - so I left!

I agree with Sal, Chit Chat is for exactly that and as it say's it's not all nail realted. Alot of people dont go in the chat room? i dont know why as i love it!!!!!!!

I think advertising is a good idea

Amanda

I don't think you can really complain about that, for the site is called The NAIL Geek and it was created to chat about nails. You could have waited, I have been in the chat room loads and the conversation is rarely about nails.

Sarah

Sarwaa said:
I agree that the site it a great way to make new friends but when others are paying for the prividge I think you need to respect that and not abuse it.

Sarah

I wouldnt say people abuse it and at the end of the day Sam set this site up for all nail techs from all walks of life to get to know one another, support and basically to have a right old chin wag!!!!!!!!! I have met loads of freinds through Chit Chat (west yorkshire geek meetings), we are nearly on our 1st anniversary

Amanda

Sarwaa said:
I don't think you can really complain about that, for the site is called The NAIL Geek and it was created to chat about nails. You could have waited, I have been in the chat room loads and the conversation is rarely about nails.

Sarah

If there wasn't the chit chat forum - then I wouldn't chat!

And if I had to pay for membership to this site - then I would.

Reading this thread was the first time I found out about how much it costs to run this site - I would certainly pay to use it if that is what is needed.

And I don't feel that I am 'abusing' someone elses money as you say - the chit chat forum invites you to chat there!

I don't think using the chit chat forum for chat is abusing it at all - it's what it's there for! If we were only meant to talk about nails then there wouldn't be a chit chat forum.
Yes, sometimes I have looked at threads started and thought, 'er, why'? The problem is that minus the shoutbox people sometimes have to start threads that would normally start there. But this is meant to be a community for nail techs not just about nails.
I'm sure people might be more careful now they know that this is costing Sam money.
As for using the chat room and not the forum, the techs near are from all around the world, so at least a thread is always 'open' for people to add comments when they log on, not just when people are available to chat.

Like I said, I will be more careful now what I post, but the chit chat forum is FOR chat so I don't think anyone is doing anything wrong by using it.

Latest posts

Back