I don't want to use an electric drill!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss Sylk

Reaction score
Argh! yeah im stressed, i work hard with my nail files! my arms ache but i will not use an electric file! (even though its easier for me) I care too much about my clients nails i have seen the damage the can do, at these "you know where" nail bars, i get all the people who have had a mess done to their nail come in and see me. I use nsi or ezflow and am gentle, the result is after the acrylic is removed, the nails are in fab condition. I give aftercare advice etc etc, yet they want to be in and out fast! they want their nails to last perfectly for weeks and they want FAT SPADE LIKE unattractive 3/4 white tip nails! EEK!Why why? im getting so sick of trying to educate them all in to what is best for the health of their nails and what is an elegant nail shape.

I really do feel these nails and the way they are done is fast becomming a trend i cant compete with, do i just stick with beauty only? meh :/

(no offence to decent tecshs who use the electric files btw)

i dont use my e-file almost ever and i can do a set of gels in 60 minutes. if you want to be in and out, get better at sculpting :)

I think there will always be some clients who like that 'more white tip to pink nail bed' look. Either because they dont know any different or their friends all have it the same way.
For them, its best to give them what they want or try to educate them. If they dont like the nice '2/3 pink to 1/3 white' then leave them to it.
I had a lady the other day and her mum took her son out saying 'dont have them too stumpy looking' and I knew straight away she had always had white tips, I asked and yes she did. So I explained about making the nail bed longer (she bit her nail) and having less white to make the nails and fingers look longer and more pleasing to the eye. She had no idea what I was going on about, but said to go ahead anyway. When done, she said wow, my fingers look so good (she'd never had them done that way before and didnt know you could.
As per the drills, I think if your properly trained its fine.

I can see you are a caring tech who obviously wants the best for your clients.

So why do you think that using an efile will damage their nails ? If you care about what you do, then you would care about doing a good job with an efile. You sound as if you could be a perfect candidate to help educate people that it's not what you use, it's the way that you use it.

However if you aren't doing nails all day every day because you do a lot of beauty treatments then possibly the investment into a quality efile wouldn't really be a wise decision for you anyway. It is your prerogative to choose hand files if that suits you better.

Last edited:
Having been dead against the use of a drill for years (who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?) I now love my KUPA drill/efile and use it before every rebalance I do.

I have never have much filing to do really, at least not near the new nail growth but now, everyone wants Forever French rebalances and it is just so much quicker to use the KUPA AND if we get a client from another salon and we have to carry out major re-construction work, my lord, I don't know how we used to do it before and all in the hour allotted .... Well, I do ... With blood sweat and tears lol.

The hand piece of the drill is so light and it just feels like drawing with a crayon ... I actually think I am softer and even more gentle with the drill than with the hand file ... But it is all in the technique and in the love and care with which you handle it. Excellent training is a must of course, and with an expert.

I would learn if I were you and teach your clients how brilliant you are at using it. There is no damage at all when you know how ... If there were, I wouldn't use one .... They certainly have changed since 'I were a lad' and was introduced to the Dremmel!! : lol. :suprised: I love learning new things and I love using my KUPA.

Yup I agree with greeg. Efiles are Ergonomic musts for us techs. I wish I had had mine with me in the shop today. Would of been on time. Crazy NSS gel had to come off before I was putting my LCN gels on. Friggin cement it was. I took a class this Spring and learnt so much. It was a full day of learning! Bought a new beautiful efile and bits galore and it is a dream to work with. But training is key, and I never used one on a client before I had this training. Go for it. Educate your clients. Save your arms, hands and fingers! :D PS I saved my hands today while doing a facial on a man who forgot to shave, I used my facial machine brushes...it was great for both of us.

Hi Miss Sylk, go for e-file training if you think that will help you, timewise. When done properly, there is NO damage to the natural nail. It's not the tools, it's the fools.

FWIW, I've had rings of fire from a FILE. The tech sure didn't know how to use that properly.

Best of luck! :)

I know what you mean i getclients who think nails take half the time they should take to do because they have been going to these nail bars that are faster and cheaper and use MMA products the nails are like concrete and last like months!!

The reason the nails are a mess is because the efile is used incorrectly they don't use normal files they efile the whole treatment even on to the natural nails for the prep taking away more than they should and causing problems! Making the natural nail to thin and possibly making small pinprick holes in the nail!

I don't use my efile on the natural nail only on product after an extension or to take the gloss off before a soak off or infill.

It is hard to educate people i have spoken to people and told them what could happen to there nails uf they keep going to these places and mist of them don't care and would rather have a cheaper treatment!

But the ones I do talk round love the nails I do and didn't know they could be done any other way, they love that there nailbed looks extended and are not mostly stuck on bold white tips and would never go back!!

It will take time but hopefully we proffesionals will talk people round!

And mabey even those who say extensions ruin there nails even tho they ripped them off with there teeth lol!!

Sorry for the essay!! :)
X

And mabey even those who say extensions ruin there nails even tho they ripped them off with there teeth lol!!

Sorry for the essay!! :)
X

Haha exactly!!!!!

I love my kupa mani pro too. it's an adorable blueberry colour and when I do need it, it's a dream to work with!!!!

it's our jobs as professionals to educate our clients about nail health, why we're doing this, why we're not doing that, and how they can maintain their enhancements at home. and be their agony aunts, friends, tech's, and save the world all at the same time :) haha

Why is it that using an e-file has to damage the nails? I have been using one since I started with nails 10 years ago, can do infills in 40 minutes and never ever caused any damage to the nails. In fact I have seen more damage done by over filing with a hand file.

Why is it that using an e-file has to damage the nails? I have been using one since I started with nails 10 years ago, can do infills in 40 minutes and never ever caused any damage to the nails. In fact I have seen more damage done by over filing with a hand file.
WE who use efiles well know that ... :Love: but pretty hard to convince others who have felt the damage, seen the damage and had to wait months and months for the damage to be gone. There are thousands of people scared to death of drills because of what they have experienced first hand. We all have to be aware of that.

I saw this quote the other day...

"the difficulty lies not in the new ideas, but escaping the old ones. " :)

Emily x

Well i did it on my own nail when trying to infill with an e-file, oh my god, DENT! just like the "you know where salons" i ruined my nai plate, so i threw it in the draw and never used it again! Mine was a cheap one though. I cant afford a good one as acrylics are a small part of my business and im a small business.

I agree id LOVE one to take off the bulk, my shoulders hurt so much! Ive never had my nails done with one, no techs do round here just "those" nail bars.

Hmm....maybe i can try one at Olympia! PLEASE PLEASE!!

thanks for advice ladies.

god i hate spade nails! had to throw that one in there again!

Recently I went and treated myself to a full set of brisa enhancements done by a fabulous nail tech ( who also happens to be a geek!). An efile was used in the process. I had my reservations prior to this about drills after a bad experience at an nss years ago. What can I say! So gentle, efficent.. No pain, burning nothing. She is very competent and experienced which of course makes millions of difference.

In a couple of years I intend to do my kupa training. In the right hand this efile can only serve to improve the service - I believe :)

Of course you are going to mess up while you learn to use the efile. Both my thumbs have permanent damage from my practice years ago. But if you dont practice you will never learn. Im now very competent and confident with my efile and i rarely nick a client. I couldnt imagine having to do a full set by hand unless i had to. But here's a tip. Sculpt with your brush, not your file. If you apply the acrylic right (not saying you dont) you will have very little to shape or file later.

Well i did it on my own nail when trying to infill with an e-file, oh my god, DENT! just like the "you know where salons" i ruined my nai plate, so i threw it in the draw and never used it again! Mine was a cheap one though. I cant afford a good one as acrylics are a small part of my business and im a small business.

I agree id LOVE one to take off the bulk, my shoulders hurt so much! Ive never had my nails done with one, no techs do round here just "those" nail bars.

Hmm....maybe i can try one at Olympia! PLEASE PLEASE!!

thanks for advice ladies.

god i hate spade nails! had to throw that one in there again!

I wouldnt go near myself or anyone for that matter with an E-file until I was confident with my technique.. use a tip (un enhanced) on a piece of dowel, or a blutack finger and paractise those angles and pressure.. you can see by using a tip what you are doing wrong and where.. Im a reformed e-file user, I just could not keep up in the salon without it.. i was trained and then practised... (while still filing away by hand, while the techs around me "buzzed" away) I still only use my e-file to de-bulk and for backfils.. but i will never look back now.. shoulder pain is a thing of the past for me, and i no longer DREAD the filing.. its a joy to know with a few well placed swipes I can knock so much time of the end of my service...

I am thinking about getting one & doing the training as I am getting more clients & infils are taking me 1 1/2 hours with most of the time taken up with filing before where is the best place to do the training & buy one from?

I am thinking about getting one & doing the training as I am getting more clients & infils are taking me 1 1/2 hours with most of the time taken up with filing before where is the best place to do the training & buy one from?
Talk to Debbie Davies at Sweet Squared and she can tell you of a class near to you ... But it's worth travelling to get someone who is really good if you have to.

Sweet Squared sell the KUPA Manipro Supermax. And our classes are called SAFER efiling. Julia Moran in Manchester is brilliant and very experienced. There of course are other great trainers as well, but Julia does stand out in this particular area. 08452106060 is the number if you want information about KUPA.

Im kind of in the same boat as you right now,

I didnt really want to use E-files im very happy with my hand filing skills but that's with rebalances on my own work ,

Here every tech seems to use that cheap gel that takes forever to file through and an E-file ,
When new clients come to me with it on the re-balance with it never looks the way you want it to , and takes far to much time ,time is money, but so is turning away clients and not being able to file it through ment
I've been turning them away :( and that means I have very few enhancement clients left now :(

So after alot of thinking I've booked my self in to the kupa E-file training in London ,

I tryed the one they have at the EVENT and I have to say it was nice to hold / control , not noisey , not dentist drill sounding at all ,

I've only had one used on me once , in las Vegas and lucky for me she was very skilled with it , but here I have seen some very dented nails from it, I think the main thing is get good training , use your training hand , practice and understand and be aware ,

ok so im going to look into e-files again, youve twisted my arm ladies lol

What spec am i looking for, brand, drill bits? x

Latest posts

Back