I Feel Like a Fraud.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovenails1

Reaction score
I've been thinking about a comment one of the girls I work with made to me a few days ago.

I work 2 days a week at the Airport, helping out with Accommodation Units, in other words...I'm a cleaner.:grr:

Anyway, when I was telling a lady about my being a Finalist in this Comp at the weekend, she snarly said "Well what are you doing cleaning toilets then?":evil:

As much as I was peed at her, she is right in a way.

I work as much as I can doing nails, days, nights, weekends etc, but it still isn't really enough to feed my kids etc. I'm a single mum and when it boils down to it, I WILL clean whatever I have to, to survive.

So in that way, I know I'm doing the right thing by getting those 4 days a fortnight paid in the bank without the worry etc, but where do I fit with what my occupation is.

I always say "I'm a Nail Tech", I never say "I'm a cleaner", so I'm confused.

What are other Geeks doing for extra income, if nails aren't enough.

Well I admire the hell out of you for what you do. :hug:

When I was a single mum, I had no training to do anything. I always said I'd do any job to keep my children fed and clothed and a roof over our heads at that time (and it would be the best job I could do too). Mercifully, a friend asked me to run his office and I survived that way.

When I got into nails, it was more than enough to pay the bills and give us a good life, but I did then have the support of my man behind me both monetary and mentally..

Hun,

Don't feel like a fraud, there are a lot of us that have two jobs (one being a nail tech) in order for us to pay the bills.

I have a office job that pays very well, and to be honest, I don't think I will ever earn what I earn with my day job just doing nails.

Don't get me wrong, I am totally dedicated to my nail business, my clients, my training etc. but I won't earn the money I earn now.

I am not a hobby tech !!! But I do what I need to do to pay the bills, simple as, and you should never feel bad about doing that. :hug: :hug:

Marlise

Hun if i had to i would clean part time for my son.

Heck i might even do just that,i mean when we relocate i will have to build up a new client base,if i clean to suplement my income,i don't care,i care about my family,i don't think that makes any of us a fraud,thats survival imo ! :hug:

You are in no way a fraud, you are doing what you have to to survive and make sure that you are your kids have food, clothes etc.
You say you are doing nails nights and weekends but its not enough to pay all the bills etc. If what I was doing wasnt enough to pay the bills then I would have a 2nd job, or 3rd.

Welldone to you for doing what you have to. Never feel like a fraud, feel like a good Mum. xx

Hi
Why do you feel like a fraud? What do you love to do............Nails, What are you passionate about.............Nails, so what are you............a nail tech . You are to be admired that you go out and do something that you dont love to feed your family and keep a roof over your head. Plenty of people wouldnt clean a toilet and would claim benefits instead (now there is nothing wrong with that either) but you chose to employ yourself and keep busy. You are a role model to your children and you should look at your self in the mirror and be bloody proud.!!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I don't think you are a fraud at all...i think you are an amazing women who is doing what she can to provide for her family.

Heck i struggle and i have a partner....i take my hat off to you as a single parent...i really do.

I remember a guy selling insurances once, who was going through every scenario in the book to sell us a policy....what if this happened and what if that happened....Rob just said...listen mate..."if i had to lick the street clean to feed my kids i would"...and he would. (you can be over insured...:lol:)

My mum has always been a cleaner..pubs, houses, hotels....i always admired her for that....and she did it cos she had too, not cos she loved her job.

Hold your head high...xx

Awww, thanks guys, I knew you would all understand.

I didn't feel this way until I was recognised as a Finalist for the Comp (you know, the one I keep talking about :rolleyes:) lol.

In a way, does my situation say something about what's happening in our Industry?

I'm thinking about Sassy's thread, is this what it's come to that even though I'm good enough to be called Top 5 in SA (just thought I'd mention it again lol), but at the same time, I have to have a 2nd job to pay the bills?

Food for thought.

Luv yoos all! lol:hug:

PS. I don't know if I would have the strength to lick a street clean, but I would give it a good hard go! lol. Eww.xx

Awww, thanks guys, I knew you would all understand.

I didn't feel this way until I was recognised as a Finalist for the Comp (you know, the one I keep talking about :rolleyes:) lol.

In a way, does my situation say something about what's happening in our Industry?

I'm thinking about Sassy's thread, is this what it's come to that even though I'm good enough to be called Top 5 in SA (just thought I'd mention it again lol), but at the same time, I have to have a 2nd job to pay the bills?

Food for thought.

Luv yoos all! lol:hug:

SO WHERE ARE THE PICS !!!!

Marlise

AH Ha!

I'm keeping my poster one under wraps till next week, you just don't know who's looking...:eek::eek:. MWAHHAHAHAHAH

Also, I'm not sure if that would be breaking any rules, there are so many of them, so I won't risk it for now.

My french photo that got through to the finals is in the Critique section. I have to do a full set on the day, so I'll take photos of them once they are done.

All will be revealed after the weekend. :cool: xx

Don't feel a fraud hun I admire you:hug:

I work in an office I absolutely loathe it, but it keeps us in the essentials. I'm trying to get some business built up to try cut down (hopefully quit!!) my hours adn I have nothing but admiration for you working and competing at such a high level. Good for you:hug:

why the hell do you feel like a fraud??????
you are doing what you love ( nails) and are doing what you need (cleaning/)
to feed your kids
great respect for you hun

you are certainly not a fraud and i take my hat off to you because you have strength to do what ever you can to look after and raise your kids.
i was lucky to be able to be financially stable in a marriage to make nails a business and had the space and freedom to build my business up without any financial responsibilty.
I became a single parent of 3 boys in october last year so have been lucky enough to have allready marked out a career which i can be in to finacially support my children now i dont know what i would have done if i was a single parent before my business took off.....but i do struggle more than i ever have and now can only manage finacially to feed my kids pay the bills and thats it....but luckily in this country we can get working tax credit, child tax credit etc...which is keeping me afloat and has enabled me to continue my nail career which keeps my head above water at the moment and thats it....
while you are building your nail career up you are working to support yourself your kids and your nail career......i think what you are doing is admirable and dont let others knock your dreams and your future :hug: :hug:

i would take no notice of the silly woman she is obviously a mean old bat , u r a single mum and you are doing wot you have to to makes sure your kids are fed etc.. you are admirable xxx

i'd curse that bitch with crappy nails....... if she doesn't already have them:)

I think your doing a great job in supporting your kids, I'd also do what ever was needed.

I just the main thing you feel dis hearted about is given the fact you are a top tech,you still don't have enough clients to do it full time. We would all like to think by the time we all get to your standard and have been recognized for this, the clients should be flooding to us.

hey by the time you win the comp, you'll be able to shout it from the roof tops. xx

Don't take any notice of her, she's probably envious!

Although I work from my home based salon, I'm still building up clients, so I too work part-time to help pay the bills. I work in a small residential home for people with mental health problems, so I do cleaning, cooking, personal care, running people about, medications and being a friend.

Good for you, hun. In no way are you a fraud!! You're a wonderful mother and obviously a bloody good nail tech. Good luck in the comp. :hug:

First of all running your own business isn't easy and takes time to build to make it successful and profitable, so if in the meantime you need something else to support it then where's the problem?

Besides what is so wrong with cleaning? Every job has it's own importance in the big scheme of things. I think it was Kennedy who went to one of the NASA space centres and seeing a man sweeping the hangar floor, Kennedy asked the man what he was doing. The man replied that he was helping get a man on the moon. Now this story maybe an urban myth, but it shows the importance of team work and that everybodies job in a company is equally important to achieving a common goal ....

.... and I think I've been on too many motivational sales courses!!!!

Good luck to you hun, your definately not a fraud. Your doing whats best for you & your family, good on you!! Not everythings black & white, people should understand this instead of judging & making silly comments without ask for the facts first!! :hug: :hug:

Latest posts

Back