"I just need nails for a wedding"

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kffbass

Reaction score
Nothing makes me cringe more than to hear these words come out of a clients mouth. I've taken your appointment, blocked out the appropriate time and want to send you back out the door to the NSS shop down the corner.

Now, I'm not just posting to complain, but I'm really curious as to how my fellow nail geeks handle a this situation. Do you like doing nails for those clients that say they only want to wear them for a couple weeks and probably won't get fills? Should I look at this as a sales pitch on my service and hope the client won't be cheap in the long run?

Help, tell me I'm not completely crazy. I just can't stand the thought of doing all that work and create a beautiful set of enhancements and have the client rip them all off in a couple weeks.

Thanks,
Shiloh

really? nah not me.. some fall in love with their hands and become regulars and some come back when the next big occasion hits..
I do tell them that i would prefer to book in now for a soak off and explain the dangers of self removal.. and most do.. some even show up when that appointment comes around..
at the end of the day anyone coming to me gets my full service and apreciation..

really? nah not me.. some fall in love with their hands and become regulars and some come back when the next big occasion hits..
I do tell them that i would prefer to book in now for a soak off and explain the dangers of self removal.. and most do.. some even show up when that appointment comes around..:lol:
at the end of the day anyone coming to me gets my full service and apreciation..
I'm with you Chel.

I do bridal parties all the time - Its all money in the end (and free advertising) :hug:

I personally don't have a problem with this, better to be honest.

I'm the biggest penny pincher there is (years of working as a buyer) and before i was trained i would only pay for gels for a special occasion then pull them off because it was too expensive for me to upkeep.

I thought we were in the beauty industry where we strive to make people feel good about themselves.... does it matter if it's just for one day? Why alienate someone for not having the disposable income to spend on nail enhancement upkeep?

As long as they sign to say they are aware of the dangers of pulling them off then it's their choice!

i have done loads of brides who say they only want nails for that special day but as we all know nails can be addictive and a lot of the time they decide to have their refills done anyway. and at the end of the day the girls are right when they say its all money and advertising as long as u put as much effort into these clients nails as u would with ur regulars
ciara

The thing that concern me about brides or bridal parties, is when they come to me with about 1/2cm of natural nail, swollen eponychiums, terrible cuticles, dry hands......and say "oh my wedding is in 4 days, can you make them like a WAG?" !!!

I am not good enough yet to be able to do that, and I wish they would contact me about 6 months before to get their hands in great condition!

I agree with the majority.

I really don't mind if I do someones nails for one event or for the next 20 years ... not every client becomes a regular ... it's just part of our business. I do my best work for them all.

Nothing makes me cringe more than to hear these words come out of a clients mouth. I've taken your appointment, blocked out the appropriate time and want to send you back out the door to the NSS shop down the corner.

Now, I'm not just posting to complain, but I'm really curious as to how my fellow nail geeks handle a this situation. Do you like doing nails for those clients that say they only want to wear them for a couple weeks and probably won't get fills? Should I look at this as a sales pitch on my service and hope the client won't be cheap in the long run?

Help, tell me I'm not completely crazy. I just can't stand the thought of doing all that work and create a beautiful set of enhancements and have the client rip them all off in a couple weeks.

Thanks,
Shiloh

Well I guess if we all thought the same it would make the world a very dull place!

Firstly I would NEVER want to send anyone to the torture chamber of an NSS!

Secondly I would not want to lose such a client. Making someone feel great about themselves on their very special day has to be so rewarding, so your beautiful work will be appreciated and for many years to come when they look back at their wedding pictures. And if they want to rip them off then that is their decision - but make sure you have done your job to explain why they should come back to have them professionally removed.

As already said often people become so hooked that they DO become regular clients. Do you really want to lose this person because you assume they will be a one off. Or their friends may look at their lumpy bumpy nails done elsewhere and realise they should be coming to you instead!

So, sorry but I do think you're completely crazy :lol::lol: Look at your glass as being completely full and not half empty :hug:

I dont have a problem with it either, its all money at the end of the day, as long as you do a good job and send the client away happy.

I do alot of ladies that never come back, but they recommend a friend and it goes from there!

I also do alot of ladies that never come back to have them soaked off, I think its just the way some people are.

The way I look at it is, alot of peeps cannot afford to have nails on a regular basis, so they have them for special occassions, thats fine, as long as they are over the moon with the nails, they will always come back for special occassions and you may even convert them to becoming a regular client?!

I have one client now and she is a very heavy handed lady, however she has 4 weddings and 2 parties to attend in 3 months, so is going to be extra careful and keep her nails on and maintained, so far she hasnt lost one nail and shes had them on for 1 month! I know she will never become a regular, but she is loving her nails atm!

Dont worry about it!

xxxxxx:hug:

Well I guess if we all thought the same it would make the world a very dull place!

So, sorry but I do think you're completely crazy :lol::lol: Look at your glass as being completely full and not half empty :hug:
I agree with Sass, and Geeg, just couldnt add 2 quote boxes!! :lol:

Always look on the plus side of things! xx

2nd thought...

She's wearing your nails to her wedding, probably a couple of hundred people in attendance all looking at her new wedding ring sitting on the hand with your enhancements.

Possibility for sooooo many new clients.

Weddings are amazing advertising!

Firstly I would NEVER want to send anyone to the torture chamber of an NSS!

Secondly I would not want to lose such a client. Making someone feel great about themselves on their very special day has to be so rewarding, so your beautiful work will be appreciated and for many years to come when they look back at their wedding pictures. And if they want to rip them off then that is their decision - but make sure you have done your job to explain why they should come back to have them professionally removed.

As already said often people become so hooked that they DO become regular clients. Do you really want to lose this person because you assume they will be a one off. Or their friends may look at their lumpy bumpy nails done elsewhere and realise they should be coming to you instead!

I'm with Sassy on this.

I'm always happy that ANYONE has chosen to come to me rather than somewhere else for starters.

Brides usually book in a bridesmaid or two to have a set also or a manicure & french polish or something, nail art etc.
I'm happy to help make these girls feel great on their big day & to think, there will be lots of photos of the hands/rings/cake cutting etc - so your work get looked on for years as Sassy said.

I do get people coming to me as a result of the brides I have done.
Only this week a new client came as a result of me doing her sister-in laws nails for her recent wedding.

Remember - all the women at wedding like to grab the brides hand for a look at the ring - they will also be looking at your nail work - so it's lots of free advertising, hitting your target market in a way you couldn't unless you gatecrashed a wedding with leaflets!! :lol:

Im fine with it.

There are always going to be people who only have it done for special occasions and when that special occasion arrises they think of you.....I think its nice that they know you can be relied on to complete thier special look! x

I'm intrigued as to what NSS stands for?.....:green:x

I don't mind weddings.

I get plenty of referrals that way.:green:

One client went to the wedding, and the bride said to her "I should have gone where you went".

While I do find that those ones usually don't turn into regulars, some do.
Worst case scenario, they come back for the next big event.

However, I do take the time to explain to them the differences between UV Gel being a more long term commitment (particularly since mine are buffoff's) and if they are certain they won't return for removals, then I suggest party nails as a better solution and retail a small jar for them to soak them off.

While I don't advocate client's doing their own nails.
I will not support them damaging them, themselves either.
Usually, they appreciate the honesty and the time I take to explain it all.

BUT I would never send them to the NSS!
Some simply can't afford to upkeep them regularly, and want to look nice at least for a special occasion. Why deny them? They're just as entitled as the next person. That client is no less special, nor less important than the one who will be a regular.
Once they are at your table, this is an opportunity to
A) educate them about enhancements & NSS (which they may repeat to friends)
B) make them feel special (which they will remember) which in essence, IS our job
C) and the opportunity to give them nails that are PERFECT for 'them', which later, they may decide they want to upkeep.

But if they don't upkeep them, no loss. It's your job, and you've still earned wages for your time and this client may still bring you more earnings even if they don't return themselves.
So either you can sit there doing nothing
OR
You can sit there doing nails

I'd rather be doing nails.

2 of my longest standing clients came from just wanting them on for holidays.....they loved them so much they couldn't bare not to keep up with them.

Another reason I don't mind is because some people cant have nails full time due to work or financial reasons...which is totally understandable....doesnt mean they shouldn't have them now and then for special occasions.

I have a few clients who only want to wear enhancements for a special occasion ... if that's fine for them, then that's fine for me too.

It's the clients who decide to convert from "one offs" to "full time" enhancements that I find the most rewarding. I have offered many ladies the opportunity to "try before they buy" by offering them one free enhanced nail, and this has quite often paid off.

Therefore, your "just need nails for a wedding" clients may not just bring you free advertising, but may also bring you increased business in the long run.

HTHs

Latest posts

Back