I'm a full time nail technician and I earn.....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i earn per year....

• under 5 k

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • 5 - 10k

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • 10-15k

Votes: 23 17.8%
  • 15-25k

Votes: 23 17.8%
  • 25-30k

Votes: 16 12.4%
  • 30k plus

Votes: 11 8.5%

• Total voters

MINKUS

Gel Junkie
Reaction score
I dont want you to tell me just vote in the poll if you could !

Thanks

Amb x

Thanks for the votes so far:hug:

Any others?

Wow, looks like there are some big earners out there, sadly its not me (YET!!)...lol

well its a bit split to be honest.

I just wanted to say this has to be based on 'your own' earnings as a ONE MAN BAND and not as 'team' etc!

I'd think on an average if most peeps had say 5 clients a day and worked say 5 days a week (im sure lots of people do way more than that) you 'could' be able to turn over £600 ish (prob more) a week... so if you allow 2 weeks off thats £31,250 for 50 weeks of the year...obviously then your 'costs', advertising, materials, paye, ni etc are out of that so to be earning the big bucks (unless my maths are rubbish) you've gotta be turning out a fair old few clients.

Interesting

I dont mind sharing. I'm a one man band, and I began trading in January this year. Because my business is fairly new, I still dont have a full appointment book, and my costs are still high (marketing and such).

Typically in a week I will make between £200 and £300 gross, but after rent, phonebill, business loan, stock, I may have £50 profit, sometimes less. At the moment I'm ploughing any profit back into the business.

I know that the day will come when my costs will level out as the business becomes more established, whilst at the same time my turnover will increase as I expand the business, but I'm under no illusion - this is a long term thing. I know theres money to be made, but it's by no means the get rich quick scheme that so many people think it will be when they join the industry, and I think its good to share this for any new or would be techs who may read this.

I didn't vote as I've only just started plus I'm not strictly working full time yet. What a time to start up a business eh, just in time for the kids long summer school holiday! Even so, I am managing to turnover an average of £150 per week (home salon & mobile). My aim is to increase that over the next 12 months to around £400 per week which with minimal overheads will do me very nicely thank you. Much better than the £150 take home pay working all week as a temp in an office :)

30% OF THE voters earn 5k and below:eek:

for a full time job? that aint so great !

I'm a full time self-employed tech with my own salon, i've been trading for one year in august, and my turnover is 11k so far. I'm bringing in around about £400-£500 per week with a full appt book, sometimes more. You get out what you put in, definitely, but i reckon the only way to make any money is to be self-employed. HTH

I'm home based beauty salon, three nights a week and saturday mornings. I'm really pleased with what I take in now after four years. It's hard work as I also have a full time job to do too, in an office. I take a wage from my business which basically covers holidays and my day job covers my everyday living!

I do think that if I worked full time in my home salon I could certainly earn between £8 and £10 per year, maybe even more but that doesn't account for my wages that I would take.

Why the poll Minkus, what's your thinking behind this?

30% OF THE voters earn 5k and below:eek:

for a full time job? that aint so great !

I agree, that looks pretty grim. To be honest though I'm glad it shows that way. So many people think they can set up doing nails and earn a fortune overnight, and it's just not the case. There is money out there to be made, but the big money is only made by those who have a long term plan, a sharp business mind, endless motivation and one hell of a passion for what they do. Any big bucks are earned in the long term after a long and arduous climb up the ladder, and I think it does well to show new techs that this is the case - not to put them off, but so that they can set themselves up in the right way!

I think the reasons that the earnings show so low could be for so many different reasons, for me I know its because my business is relatively new & my appointment book is still fairly vacant. I estimate that with a full appointment book, working 40 hours a week, plus retail sales, I could turn over up to £1000 per week, but this certainly wont be acheived by just turning up at the salon 5 days a week and waiting for the phone to ring!!

It may be that part timers have voted as well Amb, i am sure a lot of technicians full time job is 'mum'. I know when i first started out it had to fit around the children going to preschool.

I ticked the last option, but it is higher than that.

I agree, that looks pretty grim. To be honest though I'm glad it shows that way. So many people think they can set up doing nails and earn a fortune overnight, and it's just not the case. There is money out there to be made, but the big money is only made by those who have a long term plan, a sharp business mind, endless motivation and one hell of a passion for what they do. Any big bucks are earned in the long term after a long and arduous climb up the ladder, and I think it does well to show new techs that this is the case - not to put them off, but so that they can set themselves up in the right way!

I think the reasons that the earnings show so low could be for so many different reasons, for me I know its because my business is relatively new & my appointment book is still fairly vacant. I estimate that with a full appointment book, working 40 hours a week, plus retail sales, I could turn over up to £1000 per week, but this certainly wont be acheived by just turning up at the salon 5 days a week and waiting for the phone to ring!!

I totally agree!!! So many girls start training thinking its going to be a get rich quick scheme and it certainly ain't!!!! You need to put in a huge amount of work, energy, time and money into making your business a success! xx

well its a bit split to be honest.

I just wanted to say this has to be based on 'your own' earnings as a ONE MAN BAND and not as 'team' etc!

I'd think on an average if most peeps had say 5 clients a day and worked say 5 days a week (im sure lots of people do way more than that) you 'could' be able to turn over £600 ish (prob more) a week... so if you allow 2 weeks off thats £31,250 for 50 weeks of the year...obviously then your 'costs', advertising, materials, paye, ni etc are out of that so to be earning the big bucks (unless my maths are rubbish) you've gotta be turning out a fair old few clients.

Interesting

i dont see how its poosible to fit in anymore than five clients a day without being chained to the desk:lol: i work a 40 hour week on my own and on average take between 4 and 6 hundred a week depending on what is booked in ie new sets or in-fills,i also retail too but that is included in the amount.i take a small wage each month to cover my own expenses and whatever is left after rent/stock/phone and all the other business outgoings i put back into the business.i agree with another geek who says this is not a get rich quick scheme,i work harder than i have ever worked in my life,for a lot less pay ten hour days without a break are tough....but i love love love what i do ,like the fact that its all mine with no-one to answer to,and have fantastic clients who have been very supportive of me,plus my husband is very supportive.I knew from the start it would be hard and was under no illusions,it never stopped me though and 11 months on i am fully booked 99% of the time and am about to relocate to a bigger place.So asside from the monetry rewards i think it is very rewarding in other ways..:)

I am employed, so I take home less than what I earn. In a week I usually bring in between £600-800, (a couple of weeks ago I did £900 odd!) but my wages are obviously less than that, although I do earn a commission after hitting a certain target which is fab cos I can earn more on top of my wages.

This is certainly good reading as a newbie just about to enter the Nail Tech world. I am a realist and have decided to continue with my Day job as the hours i do there work round the school run, but i am prepared to work most evenings and weekends to get my client base up. I am not expecting it to be my 'main job' for some time, but am looking forward to the challenge!!

Are we talking turnover or profit?

I guess this can be compared to an employee bringing in x for the employer but taking home y in pay!

Latest posts

Back