I'm looking for a natural insect repellent?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katelisa

Reaction score
Hellooo.
I'm off to Thailand for a few weeks after xmas and am looking for a natural alternative to Deet for repelling the mozzies.

Mint oil - it's what they use in morocco plus it also has a cooling effect

Natural remedies can be a bit hit and miss depending on person they often rely on essential oils.If you are allergic for some reason then obviously you need to try but if its just a fancy then I suggest for somewhere like Thailand where they do have Malaria I would stick with the tried and tested chemical formulas.I use my own essential blend but it doesn't work for everyone.I am Aromatherapy Qualified.

LOL, yeah the sun is total gospel.

Thanks for the info. :)

I've been told to take garlic tablets x

Tui do an insect repellent balme. Distributed in the Uk by Andy at Songbird Naturals ... I swear by their products

I've heard that Avon's Skin So Soft Dry Oil Replenishing Spray keeps them away!

xx

I second Avon skin so soft dry oil body spray - its kept me bite free all summer and I'm normally covered.

I've read on here already about the Avon oil, but not sure which one it is. Ive just ordered some of the 'original' one anyway.

I think I will probably have to use high concentration deet anyway, because its such a high risk of malaria (anoungst other things) out there. But I'd still like to know alternatives and their effectiveness in the far east.

Thanks guys. :)

I'm going to Vietnam in 3 weeks and my boyfriend has found these bands that you wear on your wrists/ankles that his colleague said are really good. Think they were from amazon. X

Also wanted to add that really deet is the best thing as the last thing you want is to get bitten and get something nasty. I've been to Thailand and I was bitten a lot even tho I used spray. I've got the bands and a 90% deet spray for Vietnam. U can't b too careful! X

Also wanted to add that really deet is the best thing as the last thing you want is to get bitten and get something nasty. I've been to Thailand and I was bitten a lot even tho I used spray. I've got the bands and a 90% deet spray for Vietnam. U can't b too careful! X

I'll check out the bands, I'll get one for each wrist and ankle lol. :lol:

That's what I'm doing lol! Only downside is may get a few weird white bits!

A rolled up Newspaper repells them LOL :)
I never get bitten no matter where i go and i put it down to the amount of garlic i consume. i have it in some form or other every day, food is tastless to me without it. if you buy the garlic tablets it stops your breath stinking like mine :o
The vampire and onions thing springs to mind.

A rolled up Newspaper repells them LOL :)
I never get bitten no matter where i go and i put it down to the amount of garlic i consume. i have it in some form or other every day, food is tastless to me without it. if you buy the garlic tablets it stops your breath stinking like mine :o
The vampire and onions thing springs to mind.

Yes garlic tablets or vitamin b two weeks before start taking x x

Thanks!

One of my science geek friends suggested 'nuclear fusion', to which I replied 'yes, maybe I could bore the mozzies to death with the intricacies of nuclear physics' lol. So maybe the newspaper isn't such a bad idea after all.

I do eat garlic quite a bit, not everyday but I tend to go for garlicky food. :green:

Latest posts

Back