I'm now Julia Smith!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sassy Hassy

Reaction score
I have been sick to the back teeth of sales calls lately, I'm even registered with the TPS and not the slightest bit of difference. I even got stitched up on Monday into paying for more advertising and I know it will be money down the drain, I'm such an easy sucker for these people! I'll never be rich.

Anyway today I finally put Plan B into action! The sales call started as usual, and I interrupted and said "I'm sorry but the person you need to speak to is on maternity leave for the next 4 months" (God I just thought, I better not be tempting fate here! I work by myself you see, its just me!). Thinking that would be it and farewell, the girl asked can I take her name? Caught on the hop the name Julia Smith came from nowhere!! But at least I didn't get conned in to shelling out more money!

So if you find sales calls a pain, but hate being rude, try plan B!

Hi Julia :hug: Welcome to the site - I'm sure everyone will make you welcome :lol:

Tell the callers you are registered with TPS and you will be reporting them for breaching the conditions - they'll soon remove you from their calling lists, it's a £5k fine :eek:

TPS can't stop callers from anyone with whom you have already had dealings, so if these guys are people you have advertised with before they can still call you

Trin
xx

Sassy Hassy said:
I have been sick to the back teeth of sales calls lately, I'm even registered with the TPS and not the slightest bit of difference. I even got stitched up on Monday into paying for more advertising and I know it will be money down the drain, I'm such an easy sucker for these people! I'll never be rich.

Anyway today I finally put Plan B into action! The sales call started as usual, and I interrupted and said "I'm sorry but the person you need to speak to is on maternity leave for the next 4 months" (God I just thought, I better not be tempting fate here! I work by myself you see, its just me!). Thinking that would be it and farewell, the girl asked can I take her name? Caught on the hop the name Julia Smith came from nowhere!! But at least I didn't get conned in to shelling out more money!

So if you find sales calls a pain, but hate being rude, try plan B!

They weren't a company called Vardis? I've been stitched up to the tune of £270.00 :o

It ws ufindus.com

I must be a mega Bit*ch cause i just hang up when they start their little speech!

Companies like this are horrible!

My sis is just making her first bit of profits this year after setting up her own business.

A company called her and asked her to switch because they were cheaper - she said she would only swap if she didn't get a cancellation fee from the people she was with.

Both companies agreed there would be no fee - three months later she had a bill for £500 off one and £350 off the other and half a dozen court letters that they told her to ignore.

In the end she paid the cheapest bill and learnt her lesson.

It sent her profits into OD at the bank though!

Watch out for DAISY COMMUNICATIONS and CAULDWELL COMMUNICATIONS!

whitmore said:
I must be a mega Bit*ch cause i just hang up when they start their little speech!

I just find it so hard to be rude :D :D must toughen up. ;)

I have had calls recently from some Internet Web Finder type people, saying I have a free listing and would I like to upgrade.

I just put myself into Mrs Average shoes and think, if I was looking for Nail Services where would I look - Yellow Pages or Google esque.

These are the places I concentrate on and, if anyone asks, I tell them I have already overspent my advertising budget for this year LOL.

I always get info from people as to where they got my name from when they book an appointment and I can do a financial report at the end of the year detailing where everyone has come from - then I know where to concentrate my ad money next year and where not to renew.

If you dont know them and dont allready deal with them, you dont need to talk to them. They all persuede you into having things you dont want, if you havent been looking for something that's because you dont need or want it. I might sound harsh but you will never come face to face with these people so who cares if you upset them.

BE STRONG! LOL

XX

I think the trouble was this sales bloke caught me off guard as I was half asleep dozing in the sun. Normally I do the, I've overspent, I've registered with the TPS etc, but somehow I got into conversation with him and then I was scuppered.

I can't be rude to these people as I did cold calling for 4 years and I know what a bloody awful job it can be. Anyway I have to get one new set per month for it to more than pay for itself. I can get my own statistics of how people found my website through 1and1 so I'll know if the figures they give me are correct or not.

Think I prefer being Sarah Haslam though lol!

I can usually tell before I pick up the phone as the caller ID says number witheld, so I am ready for them, as soon as they start their speil I say "no thankyou" and put the phone down before they can say anymore.

Hi Sassy

What is all this TPS?

I wrote a thread last night asking for advice about my husband having hassle from an advertising company. They are insisting on payment of nearly £400 for advertising that we have not agreed to. I have photocopied documents that I have returned to them cancelling the proofs that they sent to us yet they are still sending us invoices demanding payment. This all started a couple of weeks ago with a phone call off them and my husband didnt even get chance to say no on the phone to them, they then sent the proof through the post which I immediately sent back cancelling it. A few days later they then sent another invoice through thanking us for our order!!!! and saying our payment is now overdue and we have 7 days to pay it!

I dont know what to do

Love

Debbie xxx

Debbie, what is the name of the company?
There is a scam one going around, they have been after Alex but we have just been ignoring them, one of the broadsheets even did an article about them and we are just waiting to see when they end up on Watchdog!

welshrarebit said:
Hi Sassy

What is all this TPS?

I wrote a thread last night asking for advice about my husband having hassle from an advertising company. They are insisting on payment of nearly £400 for advertising that we have not agreed to. I have photocopied documents that I have returned to them cancelling the proofs that they sent to us yet they are still sending us invoices demanding payment. This all started a couple of weeks ago with a phone call off them and my husband didnt even get chance to say no on the phone to them, they then sent the proof through the post which I immediately sent back cancelling it. A few days later they then sent another invoice through thanking us for our order!!!! and saying our payment is now overdue and we have 7 days to pay it!

I dont know what to do

Love

Debbie xxx

Hi Debbie

I answered your thread from yesterday about your husbands hassles

TPS - is the Telephone Preference Service - they remove your telephone number from the cold calling lists so marketing companies cannot cold call you.

Trin

Whenever my Dad had a sales call and they asked for him by name, he would say hold on i'll just go and get him - then leave the phone on the side till the caller gave up! Not a great idea for the salon though as the clients would never get through!

I got a call from a lady this morning who introduced herself and said she was calling from a bt call centre, I was just about to say I'm not interested when she says they are looking for a therapist to do some work as they had one booked in for today but she had let them down.
I've agreed to do ten minute sessions for them tomorrow, theres 40 booked in but I won't get them all done. £5 for a ten minute session of Indian Head Massage.
Glad I kept my mouth shut.

I had loads of calls like this today too, they must be upping the anti, a so, say charity call too! I just tell em I haven't got andy spare budget, goodbye!!

Sassy Hassy said:
It ws ufindus.com
They must be doing our area sass, as i had a call from these people as well. I'm the same as you, i get chatting to them and have real trouble saying "no thank you". I so must learn to be stronger!

whitmore said:

I usually ignore number with held but the first time in ages that I picked it up I got a really obnoxious man on the phone. He asked for the owner and I told him that she was not available he then asked when she would be as he had called previously too. I was getting cross because I could here in the background that it was a call centre and lets face it, not many men want a nail tech or would ask for the owner otherwise. I snapped that no she wouldn't be available and he asked me if I spoke to all my customers like that!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cheeky f****r !!!!
Said no, only people phoning and hassling for advertising and banged the phone down. Not sure if that was why he had phoned but am sick of them.

Did feel a little guilty after, hate having a concience.

Now don't answer again. Probably missing loads of clients.

suey said:
They must be doing our area sass, as i had a call from these people as well. I'm the same as you, i get chatting to them and have real trouble saying "no thank you". I so must learn to be stronger!

Yeah but did you say no, or were you a sucker like me!

Latest posts

Back