Important message from Doug Schoon re UV lamps. Please read anyone who uses UV Lamps

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busybee32

Reaction score
Just had a note from Doug Schoon who has asked me to inform the Geeks that he is going to be issuing a report about U.V Lamps that dispells the myths from the dermatologists.
From Doug...I will be issuing a report on UV lamps in a few days. Please tell the geeks the report is coming and this report will show the conclusions reached by these dermatologist are faulty and incorrect.
Mods im sorry if I have put this in the wrong place but I wasn't sure where to put it:eek: Please move if needed.
Also is there anyway that this can be made sticky so that Doug can find it when he issues the report and it can be tagged to this thread?
Many thanks guys
Jen xxx

Sticky done.

We can think about moving when the report is issued if need be.

A bit more info from Doug for those who dont have access to my Facebook page.
" I can tell you that the dermatologists that issued this faulty report are not scientists and they made several errors and incorrect assumptions that caused them to reach an erroneous conclusion. A joint report from three of the industry's leading scientists will be released within the next few days and that report will debunk the myth UV nail lamps are harmful to skin."
Hopefully not too long to wait for the full report.
Jen xxx

Well done you in going straight to the fountain of knowledge that is Doug Schoon and obtaining this information.
I am sure we will all look forward to reading the information in this report
Hopefully this will be the Lamp Thread to end all Lamp Threads lol!!!!

Well done you in going straight to the fountain of knowledge that is Doug Schoon and obtaining this information.
I am sure we will all look forward to reading the information in this report
Hopefully this will be the Lamp Thread to end all Lamp Threads lol!!!!

:lol:Tell me about it Izzi,
Plus this comes straight from the horses mouth so to speak and who can argue with that.
Just cant wait to read the report
Jen xxx

Specially for you Isabel!!:lol::lol::lol:

Email from Doug.

Top Industry Scientists have finished a scientific research study to test UV nail lamps. The purpose was to investigate surprising claims made in the now infamous Texas dermatologists report on UV Nail Lamps. This scientific report demonstrate why the conclusions reached by these dermatologists are faulty and their arguments scientifically incorrect!

This is the story that's burning up the Internet and appearing in newspapers in many parts of the world. This type of misinformation is NOT good for our industry, as you all know.

Help Us! We need to get the word out in FULL force and quickly!

Please give this as much attention and as wide distribution as you possibly can. It's our only hope quash this myth before it gets completely out of control and even more exaggerated that it already is.

Please post this report on your Blogs, Chat rooms, Message boards, Facebook, LinkedIn and/or e-blast the link to your mailing lists and other contacts.

Also, if a negative report surfaces in your area, please let one of us know or better yet, give them our report. That would also be tremendously helpful and greatly appreciated.

Here is the Report. Please pass it on!

http://www.schoonscientific.com/UV-Nail-Lamp-Facts.pdf

Doug

Heres the link guys, very intresting reading:green:

Last edited:
There is some really useful info in this report (in addition to proving the truth about the lamps)

The comparisons in time of being under a UV nail lamp and in the sun is excellent info to pass on to your clients! It would be a good idea to extract that info, write it down and have it ready to explain to EVERY client that has a UV service

Hi Everyone,
You've heard the rumors and the myths, now comes the truth and the science.

I've worked with the industries top Scientist to research UV nail lamps and find the facts.
Are UV Nail Lamps Safe? Yes Say Scientists Who Tested these Lamps.

The internet is full of speculation, attached you will find a report issued today and authored by
Paul Bryson/OPI, Jim McConnell/McConnell Labs and myself which address the question.

Please read and share this document (link below) with everyone and anyone. If you see negative news stories, please share this information.
Thanks,

Doug Schoon
Chief Scientific Advisor,
Creative Nail Design, Inc.

Hi everyone.....

The short version, the takeaway points, are:

(1) Nail lamps are far, far less intense than Tanning Booths -- it is wrong to compare them, and

(2) A client who gets UV gels done on the normal 2-week schedule, would get more UV from taking a 10-20 minute lunch outdoors in the sunlight once a week.

Paul

Hi everyone.....

The short version, the takeaway points, are:

(1) Nail lamps are far, far less intense than Tanning Booths -- it is wrong to compare them, and

(2) A client who gets UV gels done on the normal 2-week schedule, would get more UV from taking a 10-20 minute lunch outdoors in the sunlight once a week.

Paul

Hands are in UV light all day long, it is unavoidable unless they wear gloves lol....I always tell my clients that they get more daily UV exposure from just being outside, walking to work, sitting outside having their lunch, even hanging out their washing. Unless they are vampires and only come out when its moonshine lol xxx
UV nail lamps are safe!!!!!! I will post this report on my website.
Thanks for getting this report to us,much appreciated xxxx

I did actually get a client last week ask me if my lamps where the cause of her age spots on her hands...!!!....how did I stop myself from saying .."your age is the cause of your age spots".....:lol:....instead I reassured her that my lamps where safer than the amount of times she has spent outside pegging her washing out...and now I can show her this too...excellent stuff...thanks xx

Top Industry Scientists have finished a scientific research study to test UV nail lamps. The purpose was to investigate surprising claims made in the now infamous Texas dermatologists report on UV Nail Lamps. This scientific report demonstrates why the conclusions reached by these dermatologists are faulty and their arguments scientifically incorrect!

This is the story that's burning up the Internet and appearing in newspapers in many parts of the world. This type of misinformation is NOT good for our industry, as you all know.

Help Us! We need to get the word out in FULL force and quickly!

Please give this as much attention and as wide distribution as you possibly can. It's our only hope to quash this myth before it gets completely out of control and even more exaggerated that it already is.

Please post this report on your Blogs, Chat rooms, Message boards, Facebook, LinkedIn and/or e-blast the link to your mailing lists and other contacts.

Also, if a negative report surfaces in your area, please let one of us know or better yet, give them a copy of our report. That would also be tremendously helpful and greatly appreciated.

Here is the Report. Please pass it on!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have posted this onto The Salon Magazine's Twitter account, and i have also forwarded the link onto our Editor, Gemma Ward. Let's spread the word! :hug:

can't download it on this laptop will see it tonight when I am at home.

Thanks for the info

I think what would be far more useful and helpful in debating the flaws of any previous research would be to post the actual 'research' rather than a report which does not really offer any conclusive evidence. Surely this would go much further to help the cause. The arguments here seem very one sided and not independent. How can any real conclusions be made when all the information is not taken into account. The 'texas' dermatologists (if I am correct) and other dermatologists have simply called for further research citing the 'possibility' of uv lamps being a contributing factor .. I think this is quite a feasable assumption do you not think ....(the assumption for further research) and should be embraced, rather than being branded as 'negative'. I do not really think dermatologists and others have any hidden agenda to simply be negative regarding the nail industry! We use UV lamps in our medispa, I inject people with botox - some would say 'toxin' - some would argue this is a lethal toxin - and it is if used incorrectly - but I am all for fairness in terms of ongoing valid, independent research ie not funded or sponsored by pharmaceutical companies etc etc.

Just taking your comments a step further and making my own comments:

I think the 'negative' is referring to the public perception resulting from a report that this report is questioning the validity of. It explains why and how they believe the methodology and assumptions are inaccurate and therefore results in a false picture of an over exaggerated danger.

The report doesn't provide all the research data but it's more of a salient facts presentation that is of a size that, hopefully, most people will read and be able to digest. I'm sure, for those that want it, the authors would provide the full measurable and relevant data to support their summary.

As for the comparison to sunlight and that could still be potentially harmful, yes, it could be to a very small percentage (just like correctly used botox will be harmful to a small percentage). At least they have provided advice to compensate for the actual levels of UV radiation to those concerned and made the comparison to something tangible that most people can relate to.

On the whole I think it hits the right note for the industry that it is aimed at. As I said above, I'm sure a more detailed report could be available for those that want that level information

Daisyl,

You ask valid questions, in this deceptive industry. Here are the answers:

"...I do not think the 'report' gives enough information to make accurate comparisons. Can you link the full study info. Control groups, nos etc etc... I think what would be far more useful and helpful in debating the flaws of any previous research would be to post the actual 'research' rather than a report which does not really offer any conclusive evidence"

We didn't send the data with this press release because the vast majority of the general public just would not understand it. (We've learned the hard way that if we make things too complicated, most people just tune out.) We do intend to publish it all in an official scientific forum at a later date.

These tests were done simply by measuring the lamp output with light meters, compared to natural sun. The results show conclusively that the exposure you'd get by having UV nails done once every 2 weeks, is equivalent to an extra 1.5 to 2.7 minutes in the sun each day of those 2 weeks. That's based on actual measurements of both the sun and the lamps, with the same instruments.

In truth some of our privately performed measurements showed even lower exposure levels, but we used the higher numbers the independent lab got. We also assumed the longest possible exposure for a UV nail set (~10 minutes for a full set), not everyone gets that much.

"...I am in no way disputing the info given, and some important points have been raised, but in all honesty I think what is worth looking into is the wider 'independent' research..."

We did several tests of our own, at various locations and with various lamps, however, we contracted an independent lab to do the final study precisely because nobody would believe it if we did it ourselves. Standard industry procedure. You may contact that lab if you wish; that's why we named them in the report.

"There are many many more scientists out there with equally valid differing opinions."

Equally valid differing opinions? Not in science, nor in any other human field of inquiry. As CS Lewis once put it: "There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one." If other scientists can produce facts (not "opinions") that challenge our conclusions, we're change our story, otherwise, not.

"...who are in no way connected to the nail industry..."...

Again, that's why we hired an independent lab.

"....The arguments here seem very one sided and not independent"

What would you have us do, argue for both sides of the case when the data shows only one to be right?

"...The 'texas' dermatologists (if I am correct) and other dermatologists have simply called for further research citing the 'possibility' of uv lamps being a contributing factor ... I do not really think dermatologists and others have any hidden agenda to simply be negative regarding the nail industry!"

I don't think they had a hidden agenda either, but to make the claim for such an association based on a sample size of TWO -- one of which had only 8 exposures, and both of whom had presumably lived under the blazing Texas sun for many years -- is irresponsible.

How many times has an innocent food been accused of causing horrible health problems, only to have the story retracted months or years later? We'd have all been better off eating butter, but for decades we used margarine instead because of bad science...*sigh * It's the same principle.

".. I inject people with botox - some would say 'toxin' - some would argue this is a lethal toxin - and it is if used incorrectly"

Botox is short for "Botulinum Toxin", one of the deadliest poisons known. Once it was considered for use as a bioweapon. But this proves our very point: The dose makes the poison. Low doses of UV, or botulinum toxin, or a host of other substances or exposures, do no harm. Unless you take the position that only ZERO sun exposure is safe, which is contrary to reason, given that we spent most of our history as a species hunting or working outdoors. Indeed schoolkids are now getting osteoporosis -- formerly an old people's disease -- due to the paranoid avoidance of the sun, and consequent Vitamin D deficiency.

"I am all for fairness in terms of ongoing valid, independent research ie not funded or sponsored by pharmaceutical companies etc etc. "

Nobody but pharmaceutical or cosmetic companies cares enough to spend the money. So nobody else will fund it. It does pose a perceptual dilemma, though -- those funding it inescapably have a stake in the outcome. Once again, the answer is: that's why we contract with independent labs, rather than doing the work ourselves.

Independent labs have their own professional reputation (and pride) to uphold, and to be caught fudging data JUST ONCE would put them out of business forever. That's why the industry contracts with independent labs for testing -- not just on UV lamps either, but on sensitivity testing (on human skin, not animals), microbiological testing, and other things that are legally required of us to prove our products are safe. If a consumer were injured by a product (cosmetic, food, electrical appliance, whatever), independent lab testing would hold up in court; in-house testing, not so much.

Does this all make sense to you?

Hi Dasyl,

I am sure you will agree that nothing is "completely safe", not even water, so that can't be the goal. If you want to use a SPF, that's ok. We wanted to provide the info needed if that is your choice.

You are mistaken about the original report. It did far more than call for more research. It made huge errors and suggested things that were highly improbable and the media repeated these errors as though they were factual. We had no choice but to reply directly to this misinformation.

Our report isn't a scientific paper filled with data. That's not what it is intended. This is a rapid communication designed to address a myth that was quickly spreading and causing unfair harm to the industry.

There is no need for control groups in such a study. We directly measured the output of these lamps and compared them to natural sunlight. That is the best way to look at these lamps and the only fair way, in our opinion.

It is up to everyone to look at the final results and decide for themselves. If you think appox. 2 min/day, is too much extra sunlight, that's your choice. Our goal is to provide you with this information so you can make a choice based on facts, not scary suggestions and innuendo.

That's what the original paper and the media reports did. They created fear in the readers mind. We've addressed their challenge in a straightforward manner and exposed the truth of the situation. Hopefully now our industry can start educating the facts and stop reacting to speculation.

very helpfull info. thanks everyone :)

:green: this is good news as i have crap nails and this gel polish is the only thing that has ever been any good!:zzz:

Latest posts

Back