Infected Cat Bite, Should I massage....NO!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fifi La Fume

Reaction score
On Wednesday my kitten got herself trapped and had twisted her paw, by the time I go to her she was hysterical and wouldn't let me help her at all, she bit me and drew blood.

The next morning I woke up with what looked like a scalded hand, the bite had got infected. On looking it up on the net I found out cats salivia is really nasty.

Anyway, I went to the doctor who gave me two courses of antibiotics and he said I was still ok to massage and work on people. Oh My God, no way, I would be so afraid especially on pregnant ladies...imagine if anything happened.

:hug: Poor you - hope it doesn't hurt to much.

Where abouts were you bitten? Depending on where it is would you be able to apply a waterproof plaster or similar on it?

The oils used during a massage would make the plaster come off. You would be better to wear gloves, make sure the client isn't allergic to latex. Depending on the pain it's causing you i would still go ahead if it were me wearing gloves.

The bottom teeth got the ball of my palm and the top teeth got just above my thumb. It's painful, looks and feels like a burn. I don't think I could wear gloves, I'll just wait til the infection goes and re-schedule my appointments, I'll just enjoy Paddy's weekend, but I won't be able to drink cos of the antibiotics:(

If it's going to hurt you then I would definately just postpone your appointments. :hug:

I would say not to do any massage until its healed.Number 1 it will be painful and no 2 there is a risk of cross contamination.

A plaster wont stay on and I would never wear gloves when doing a massage,it would completely ruin the "hands on feeling".(Pedi's not included)

In theory unless the client had an open wound then chances of cross contamination are minimal but I wouldn't risk it.

Using you hands whilst massaging will mean it takes longer to heal,so better off letting nature take it's course.HTH

The swelling has gone down, but my hand is bruised and sensitive around the bite, I cancelled all my Friday and Saturday appointments, tomorrows a bank holiday here so I hope by Tuesday I'll be back to work.

Personally speaking, where you've got the bite and the infection, I wouldn't massage as it could spread the nasties around inside your hand, not only that but you might find it extremely painful.
Hope it heals soon x

You can get infections from cat scratches and bites as they have a bacteria on their teeth, which will infect the area bitten (called Cat Scratch Fever) If the doc gave you antibiotics and its still painful, then it would be best to get it checked again love!!! Quite sad that I know this, but used to be a vet nurse, and now very paranoid about cat bites!!! Lovely!!!

Thanks Em1, if by Tuesday it's still sensitive I'll go to the doc again

Latest posts

Back