Intimate waxing no gloves! Is this right?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I always wash my hands after any treatment and then I wash them again in front of my next client even if Ive just washed them beforehand, just so they can see they are being washed!!

when i bring a client into a treatment room i always make a point of saying to them 'i'm just going to wash my hands'.
a supplier told me years ago when she started out that the USED hot wax was kept in a container , remelted, ran through a strainer and re-used!!! thank God things have improved since then

when i bring a client into a treatment room i always make a point of saying to them 'i'm just going to wash my hands'.
a supplier told me years ago when she started out that the USED hot wax was kept in a container , remelted, ran through a strainer and re-used!!! thank God things have improved since then

They told me that at College too, uurrrghhhhh!!!!!

Completely understand how this can happen and if it really worries you then you are right to find someone else.

I don't eat sausages or pies and similar things because I have visions of some 20 year old youth sitting on a conveyor belt bored out of his mind adding 'alien matter' to the sausage mix for fun. Yuk.

Exactly lol. The thing is she works from home and it is lovely and clean but sometimes there are things you can't get out of your head.

I think I will have to either try and get over this phobia or turn into a hairy beary!

Exactly lol. The thing is she works from home and it is lovely and clean but sometimes there are things you can't get out of your head.

I think I will have to either try and get over this phobia or turn into a hairy beary!

Would you feel better if she washed her hands in front of you or you just don't like the idea of no gloves?

If its the former why don't you just ask her if she can wash them in front of you.

I always use the sanitising gel when waxing between body parts and the face, and as previously mentioned I always tell the client what I am about to do.

I do the same as Katty and use the gel to wash my hands when client gets on my couch and when she gets off.

Jacqui xx

I don't wear gloves, just can't get on with them.
I wash my hands with antibacterial hand wash in front of my client before and after treatment (often during as well), wether I'd just done it or not.
I also have hand Santatising gel on my waxing trolley and use that after I've washed them.
If I move on to another body part then I wash again.

I always tell them as well, I'm not sure why, I'm right in front of them.
'Ok, so I'll just wash my hands and we'll get started' 'ill just wash my hands and then I'll leave you to get ready'

I always wear gloves for all waxing from the neck down, the face I don't bother. As far as I'm aware, here in Australia, it's a legal thing too for all contact with bodily fluid.

I have tried without gloves when I've just been doing friends legs, underarms and the like but I just hate my hands feeling sticky! Intimate waxing though I couldn't imagine not wearing gloves, eww, no matter how clean they may be I don't want to get that intimate. Amazing how psychologically a little bit of vinyl or latex makes all the difference.

I always wear gloves for all waxing from the neck down, the face I don't bother. As far as I'm aware, here in Australia, it's a legal thing too for all contact with bodily fluid.

I have tried without gloves when I've just been doing friends legs, underarms and the like but I just hate my hands feeling sticky! Intimate waxing though I couldn't imagine not wearing gloves, eww, no matter how clean they may be I don't want to get that intimate. Amazing how psychologically a little bit of vinyl or latex makes all the difference.

Totally agree with this - I ALWAYS wear gloves from neck down waxing. Like you say, that little bit of latex means the world to me!

I personally wear gloves for all waxing. But different strokes for different folks, as I agree that clients will vote with their feet if they're not happy.

I also think it depends how long you've been waxing, i.e. if you weren't taught to wear gloves, and have been waxing for a long time then I can see how that would seem normal and / or why it might seem alien to wear them.

It also depends on your clients and what is normal for them. If you've been waxing someone for 10 years without gloves, they must feel comfortable and can't be worried.

But I do wear them. I was trained to wear them so it feels normal to me and my clients are used to me wearing gloves.

I have respect for a number of contributors to this thread, on both sides.

Lastly, to the OP, as the therapist has been waxing you for some time, she probably wrongly assumed you would be ok with it. To say she had run out of gloves seems a bit lame. I am inclined to think she has decided not to wear them anymore but doesn't want to be honest about it for some reason. See what happens next time IF you decide to go back.

I'm kind of on the fence here....like some, I don't wear gloves for facial waxing, I find it very tricky getting the edge of a smaller bit of wax up (brows for example) but having trained as a nurse, wouldn't dream of doing an intimate wax without gloves.

There is one thing I will say about the excuse that "I can't get on with them". I am sure that one day we will have to so you'd best start now. When I first started my nurse training, we did everything without gloves including cannulation and phlebotomy. (Inserting venous drips and taking blood in english) Feeling for veins was incredibly difficult when wearing gloves. Times changed and blood borne diseases became more prevalent and it became procedure to wear them. It was a very difficult transition. And then I became an HIV nurse. No way would I ever cannulate again without gloves. My patients were all different kinds of people, from pop stars, to fashion designers, to nurses to actors. You don't know who has what. I'd urge anyone who 'can't get on with them' to try before such time comes as it's a requirement because at that point it's even harder as everyone will be watching you.

I know our exposure to blood is minimal, but I do have a lady who always bleeds when I do her brazilian. You just never know.

For me whether you wash your hands after doing an intimate wax, I would not personally want to go to a therapist for a facial after she had done a wax with no gloves on.

I'm kind of on the fence here....like some, I don't wear gloves for facial waxing, I find it very tricky getting the edge of a smaller bit of wax up (brows for example) but having trained as a nurse, wouldn't dream of doing an intimate wax without gloves.

There is one thing I will say about the excuse that "I can't get on with them". I am sure that one day we will have to so you'd best start now. When I first started my nurse training, we did everything without gloves including cannulation and phlebotomy. (Inserting venous drips and taking blood in english) Feeling for veins was incredibly difficult when wearing gloves. Times changed and blood borne diseases became more prevalent and it became procedure to wear them. It was a very difficult transition. And then I became an HIV nurse. No way would I ever cannulate again without gloves. My patients were all different kinds of people, from pop stars, to fashion designers, to nurses to actors. You don't know who has what. I'd urge anyone who 'can't get on with them' to try before such time comes as it's a requirement because at that point it's even harder as everyone will be watching you.

I know our exposure to blood is minimal, but I do have a lady who always bleeds when I do her brazilian. You just never know.

I don't feel like I am making excuses for myself?

I just wanted some advice on this. I went for some intimate waxing and the therapist didn't wear gloves. I have been going to the same therapist for about 2 years at first in a salon but now she works from home.

When I went to my appointment she said oh just to let you know I have run out of gloves I can't seem to get them anywhere only hairdressing ones. At which I was baffled as surely they are easy to get online?

I don't do waxing but surely for intimate you should wear gloves? Can anyone shed any light on this because TBH I felt a little uncomfortable because of the hygiene situation what shall I say?

I'm not even going the read other replies on this one so sorry if this repeats anyones answer -

IT IS ILLEAGAL under UK health and safety law regarding personal protective equipment (PPE) and other areas that mention it; to carry out ANY waxing without the use single use disposable gloves, no matter what area you are treating be it eyebrows, lip, underarms, bikini line, hollywood, legs or any other area that can be waxed.

Not only would I or any customer not want someones hands near me with no gloves on a general cleanliness level, but those who don't wear gloves leave themselves and their customers open to lots of complications and infections. All areas waxed no matter how carefully will draw at minimum spots of blood, not only that not everyone knows what infections/diseases they themselves may or may not have. If the therapist has and cut spot small injury wound on her hands and as I've already mentioned as a client there will always be spots of blood -- then thats possible transmition of hepititus, aids, HIV, or any other infection carried in the blood!!!

I am also eaqually discusted by any therapist who does waxing using the same spatular through out any single treatment....Which by the way is as illeagal under health and safety law for the very same reasons as above. Plus in using the same spatular even if it is only a new one per client, is introducing blood, skin and hair at a minimum to your wax pot,then contaminating it and anyone else it is used on.

Given the costly alternative of court and possiable prosecution, really is £6 a box of 100 gloves and £1.20 per pack of spatulars that much to spend out!!!? Not to mention the excuse of they are mounting costs etc - Then you should have built that cost into your pricing structor thats part of how you work out treatment costs.

Okay, sorry I shall step down of my soap box now, to add no more than this -
Since I qualified, went into business for myself (where I researched local and national legislation) and and since taught beauty, this topic has been a personal peeve as it seems that there are people out there who qualified before this became law and in practice and (shockingly) in teaching continue to ignore the law. Yes some (and only some) health and safety law has been taken too far, but this hasn't it really is about EVERYONES safety. Having now fell foul of two contaminated wax pots personally - Once as a student at collage myself and the second as a client to a qualified friend (both where seriouse infections were introduced to me, that required medical treatment), I'm maybe more than a little passionate and out spoken about this topic.

Anyway there is your answer in a rather large nutshell :)

Can I ask Tankgerl when this became law? Its just I only qualified a couple of years ago and was never told this?

Can I ask Tankgerl when this became law? Its just I only qualified a couple of years ago and was never told this?

It has been law since before I was taught in 2003, but for actual legisaltion the Health and Safety Act is dated 1974 with the most recent amendment (can't get the amendment date as the site keeps crashing so this is the site to go to Legislation.gov.uk or look at HSE: Information about health and safety at work ). Sorry I would have posted the exact date if my computer could access it.

Thank you, I will have a look at the site.

I can't find anything on that site that says waxing without gloves is illegal nor does it say so on the habia handbook, I'm sure employees must have the choice of wearing gloves but I can't see anything that says we must.
I myself was taught to wear gloves & I do for every waxing procedure.

I know its out there on a page somewhere as I used it myself when teaching a few years back (sadly not teaching at the moment due to cut backs) and it look like the HSE site certainly has has a design shuffle.

I've only just skimmed this report and the findings seem to be that risk is very low.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/rrpdf/rr722.pdf

I have never heard of a law in the UK stating that gloves must be worn during waxing and I can't see anything on this report saying that a law has been passed. Policy and law are two different things.

However……..just to reiterate…….I DO wear gloves for Intimate Waxing. I use non powdered vinyl gloves from justgloves.com and they're as cheap as chips. I use a size smaller (I'm medium so buy small) so that they feel like a second skin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back