Inventive ways to avoid disasters

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lozenja

Reaction score
I was doing a mobile visit (I hardly ever do mobile as I prefer to work from home salon) and I with out fail always forget something...

I was at my brothers fiance's house doing a pre wedding trial with french gels. I had to wipe off the tacky layer only to find I hadn't brough over any isopropyl alcohol and she didn't have any non acetone remover...

We brain stormed for a while but then ended up using cointreau!! It worked and smelt pretty good... But I will be writing out an extensive check list for next time. Thank god it was family!!! Esp as it was a 1/2 drive from home!!!

How awful is the feeling that you get when you suddenly realise you've forgot something lol then you start thinking really quickly what you can use instead

I'm rubbish at remembering things! I have to double check my kit the minute before I leave just to make sure xxx

Very clever! I would have been drinking the cointreau at that point....wouldn't even have thought to remove sticky layer with it!!

Lol. I've used vodka before too!

If you can, maybe double up on the less expensive stuff and keep it in your bag all ready.

xx

If you can, maybe double up on the less expensive stuff and keep it in your bag all ready.

xx

Good idea! I only work after hours doing nails and tans and rarely do mobile so havent got a proper bag to take. But will eventual invest in a separate kit :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Lol. I've used vodka before too!

hehe.. contreau had the highest alcohol content in the cabinet ;-)

Love it. Bet they were the cleanest gel nails you have ever done! See how quickly you had to think AND you resolved it too! Silly things happen sometimes, so just learn from it.

Crikey cointreau would be a no go for nail biters any excuse to have a nibble and who could blame them lmao. Vodka on the other hand tastes pretty much like the stuff you put on nails to stop those manicure munchers ;)

If Baileys works that's what I'd use on myself...

I'm strictly mobile so EVERYTHING is in my bag.
I even have a home kit for my own nails, just in case I forget to put something back in my bag!
I also have spares of things in my car as a back up.
I once heard of a beautician going to do a wax, she had the full kit with the exception of the electric cable. Ooops.
Don't know how you people manage to be both mobile and salon based as I would get myself in a right mess.

I have never worked mobile but over the years I have done nails in some funny places and not expecting to do them I have had to be inventive.

I once years ago did Samanthas nails on a ferry to Europe and had not brought any adhesive or forms so I glued the tips on with a small bead of Pink L&P ... worked a treat and from that little improvisation, CND produced 'pink' GelBond ... I even got an award for it.

Well-less tips came from doing my nails with the wells completely removed from the tip because I couldn't be bothered to blend them.

I have made forms out of tin foil and part of the cardboard inside of a loo roll when I have been asked out of the blue to 'do' someones nails!!

Before we ever thought about opaque powders to elongate the nail plate, I have used a sheer tip to elongate the nail plate and then would use a French tip on top of that.

I think I would always find a way! The best ideas always come from the technicians who think outside of the box. I see allot of young techs these days, who if they can't buy it, they cant seem to think how to do it!! They need to learn to think a bit more and to problem solve ... you can't always just google it.

Last edited:
I have never worked mobile but over the years I have done nails in some funny places and not expecting to do them I have had to be inventive.

I once years ago did Samanthas nails on a ferry to Europe and had not brought any adhesive or forms so I glued the tips on with a small bead of Pink L&P ... worked a treat and from that little improvisation, CND produced 'pink' GelBond ... I even got an award for it.

Well-less tips came from doing my nails with the wells completely removed from the tip because I couldn't be bothered to blend them.

I have made forms out of tin foil and part of the cardboard inside of a loo roll when I have been asked out of the blue to 'do' someones nails!!

Before we ever thought about opaque powders to elongate the nail plate, I have used a sheer tip to elongate the nail plate and then would use a French tip on top of that.

I think I would always find a way! The best ideas always come from the technicians who think outside of the box. I see allot of young techs these days, who if they can't buy it, they cant seem to think how to do it!! They need to learn to think a bit more and to problem solve ... you can't always just google it.

And that Gigi is why you are one of our industries finest!! :Kissing: What would we do without you :D Im sure i speak for so many tech's when i say we learn so much from you Xxx

Last edited:
And that Gigi is why you are one of our industries finest!! :Kissing: What would we do without you :D Im sure i speak for so many tech's when i say we learn so much from you Xxx

Well thank you Mam! :hug: "If there is a will there's a way" and "Whatever it takes" are my motos!! lol

Well thank you Mam! :hug: "If there is a will there's a way" and "Whatever it takes" are my motos!! lol

You are most welcome, i shall keep that niffty one of cardboard from the loo roll and tin foil under my hat hehe! :green:

I had no idea that you inspired those things! I was looking at a box of well-less tips the other day thinking "that's genius". that's so great.

I think the most inventive I've ever had to be was when I brought some stuff home to do gel enhancements on my mom, and I forgot my kolinsky brush. I had a new makeup brush from MAC that wasn't opened so I used that instead.

That's about the most inventive I've had to be, as I have a salon and am not mobile.

Now that is creativity worth admiring :)

Latest posts

Back