Is gel better or more popular?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PinkChampagne

Reaction score
I had my nails done a year or so ago, had acrylics done and I absolutely loved them, only problem is I thought it would be expensive to keep having infills done and you can only have them for so long anyway? It was amazing the difference it made to the appearance of my hands! I had them taken off after a month ish.

I would like them done again but thinking maybe gel this time? What is the difference in the process of applying the two ones? And what is the upkeep like for gel?

Lots more forum reading for you.You can keep your acrylics on as long as you like.Gel needs as much maintainence if not more ,especially if its soak off it also will not be cheaper.

Hi is this a customer enquiry :) if so it the gel needs maintenence too x

i use gel and acrylic in my salon. i do approx 1 acrylic to 20 gels so defo more popular but some clients gel just doesnt take to and vice versa i always tell my clients if they tried one and really lasted well stick with it you could be wasting your money trying the other if it doesnt take as well to your nails.
they will both be just as much maintanance tho

Depends what area you are from really. Here in Gloucester L&P is more popular than gel but the upkeep is almost the same depending on the skill of the nail tech. :green:

I had my nails done a year or so ago, had acrylics done and I absolutely loved them, only problem is I thought it would be expensive to keep having infills done and you can only have them for so long anyway? It was amazing the difference it made to the appearance of my hands! I had them taken off after a month ish.

I would like them done again but thinking maybe gel this time? What is the difference in the process of applying the two ones? And what is the upkeep like for gel?

There is no "better", they are both good enhancement systems when applied properly. In fact, they are both 'Acrylics' as they both contain acrylates etc. We professoinals refer to standard acrylics as "L&P" (liquid and powder).
The only time that 'acrylic' is "Bad" is when it's the illegal variety used by some NSS (Non Standard Salons) that contains MMA which IS bad for you. Some NSS use it because it's 1/3 the cost of the Quality/Safe/Legal stuff (hence one of the reasons that they are so cheap at NSS).

ALL Enhancements (Gel, "Acrylic", Wraps, Tip-n-dip etc) require REGULAR maintenance every 2-3 weeks and should never go over that. Because then they become unbalanced and prone to breakage etc. Breakage can lead to nail-plate damage.

While enhancements are stronger than natural nails, they are not indestructible and do require maintenance and care.

hope this helps:hug:

How is the maintenance different for gel? How much does it cost for infills for both?

Cost really does depend on your area as it varys dramatically.

How is the maintenance different for gel? How much does it cost for infills for both?

Maintenance is no different for gel.
All systems require appointments at 2-3wks to refill/rebalance and/or repair.
Cost will vary upon: location, brand of product used by the tech & other business expenses (rent in high or low area?), and the degree of experience of the technician.
A more experienced technician will 'usually' cost more than one newly out of school

BUT price is NOT always indicative of tech experience because there are other underlying factors (as mentioned, brand of product used, overhead costs etc....).

You'll have to call the salons local to you and ask.

We prefer gel purely because we have a small shop and people don't like the smell of acrylic.

Ive personally been asked by friends if i would do gel as alot dont like L&P. Some prefer gel because it tends to be more flexible then the L&P. Sometimes its down to personal preference. If you asking as a customer view then i would advise talking to any local salons. They will use different products which are easier to remove/harder to remove/ each nail tech is different so we cant really answer this question for you. They will also have different prices and opinions so it really is best to talk to the local salon or place you wish to get them done at.

A well qualified nail tech will be able to look at your nails and lifestyle and properly advice you which system will be best for you and what your homecare/maintance should be.

When I had the nails taken off last time I noticed a ridge on each of my nails that eventually grew out, is this normal? The nail technicians at the salon didn't really speak or understand english very well so didn't advise me on aftercare etc.. Or do much speaking at all! They must be ok and qualified as the salon is still open, and they weren't exactly cheap either!

When I had the nails taken off last time I noticed a ridge on each of my nails that eventually grew out, is this normal? The nail technicians at the salon didn't really speak or understand english very well so didn't advise me on aftercare etc.. Or do much speaking at all! They must be ok and qualified as the salon is still open, and they weren't exactly cheap either!

No you should not see a 'line' or ridge on the surface of your nails when enhancements are removed and a skilled technician will not damage your nails like that.

I would recommend that you find a salon where they speak your language and where they have a reputation for excellent work.

Salons such as the one you went to are popular because most people are ignorant of what to look for in a good salon. These salons use conveyor belt type application and tend to use drills on the nail plate and cheap products ... all things you would not find in a quality salon.

I hope this has answered your questions.

Latest posts

Back