Is Minx causing it?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuzieBeautique

Reaction score
Hi

My mum has been wearing Minx toes since about October and her toe nails have become abit of a mess. At Christmas I noticed that one of her toe nails had a split horizontally across it about half way up. Basically was kind of flapping a little. I cut it down as much as I could and hoped it would grow out a little. Once it grow a little the end bit of the nail came off along with the minx. Then a couple of days ago she noticed another nail on the other foot was hanging off (only on by a thread really) and was very painful. She must of caught it on something and it later came off totally.

One of my friends had Minx on twice in a row and one removing it one if her nails had split too horizontally.

Could this have anything to do with Minx at all? Is it done to something either of them have done? xx

I too am vary of Minx. I put some on my big toes only and both had excessively large white patches on them after removing them carefully I may add! I have not carried on with it and used it on clients as I am worried about damaging their nails, especially as clients will keep products on their feet for such a long time before removal.:rolleyes:

I wear minx constantly now as i can bare 'plain' toes now lol. The only time over the last year and a half of minxing myself i have encountered any problem is when i've allowed them to grow too long- which is easily done with minx as its easy to forget them!
Encourage clients to keep nails to a reasonable length, apply oil regularly and not to 'over-wear' their minx and you shouldnt see problems generally. Just because Minx is capable of going for six weeks or more, does not mean this is healthy for your nails and shouldnt really be encouraged.

With regards to white patches, this sounds like pseudo leukonychia, dehydrated patches. This is easily fixed with oil and is not cause for concern.

Minx will stay on toes for ages! But that is not what is recommended is it? The product is not porous and the nail plate is. The natural oil and moisture from the nail bed gets trapped in the nail plate if it is kept on for too long. Removal should be with heat and taking it off from the side not the base of the nail.

2-3 weeks and Minx must come off. If you don't educate your clients or they don't listen to you then there will be problems. It is the same for the gel polishes: the nails must be oiled every day. Those that don't follow these instructions have problems.

One of my regular Minx clients has had a split in her toenail a couple of times. As said, she is going so long between appointments and not trimming her nails in between so they are getting too long. I've told her if she is going to go that long she HAS to clip her toenails and oil is a must! The message finally got through 2 appointments ago and she is more pleased than ever with her Minx toes.

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

I change my Mums Minx every 4 / 5 weeks as she has a regular pamper day where I do all her treatments in one go. I think once she went 6 weeks but otherwise it's always 4-5 weeks tops. X

Clients push it all the time with Minx because they are capable of staying put once they are on for weeks and weeks ... just because they are capable of staying on for weeks doesn't mean they should and if YOU are letting your clients push it that far then you shouldn't be.

There is no need to be wary of Minx .. more apt to be wary of your clients and whether or not they follow the after care advice YOU are supposed to be giving and imposing which is to have them removed and replaced every 3 seeks or so. If they do not heed your advice .. on their own heads be it and don't be bleating about dry patches ... hello?

Here in Spain we have clients who wear their enhancements for more than 6 weeks until they are barely hanging on and filthy and looking horrendous just so they can save a buck and wanting maintenance at the same price as a client who comes in every 2-3 weeks!! "Good try but no cigar", as they say. :biggrin: Full Set price again and a charge for removal and clean up to boot. Hit them in their pocket and they soon learn to follow advice.

Clients push it all the time with Minx because they are capable of staying put once they are on for weeks and weeks ... just because they are capable of staying on for weeks doesn't mean they should and if YOU are letting your clients push it that far then you shouldn't be.

There is no need to be wary of Minx .. more apt to be wary of your clients and whether or not they follow the after care advice YOU are supposed to be giving and imposing which is to have them removed and replaced every 3 seeks or so. If they do not heed your advice .. on their own heads be it and don't be bleating about dry patches ... hello?

Here in Spain we have clients who wear their enhancements for more than 6 weeks until they are barely hanging on and filthy and looking horrendous just so they can save a buck and wanting maintenance at the same price as a client who comes in every 2-3 weeks!! "Good try but no cigar", as they say. :biggrin: Full Set price again and a charge for removal and clean up to boot. Hit them in their pocket and they soon learn to follow advice.

I change my mums Minx every 4 or 5 weeks though. She doesn't push it by leaving them on ages because she gets dry skin on her heels so doesn't like to go 5 weeks without a pedicure. x

I never knew that minx needs to be removed every three weeks. My clients have been leaving it longer, and having a re minx thorough last summer, then when it came to winter and every one was wearing ugg boots etc most had them removed, yeah there was slight dryness on the nails but I oiled them loads and trimmed the nails nice and short and the they all looked fine, and no one has ever come back to me and said their nails have been damaged as of yet. Now I am worried that I am going to have to tell clients to come back every three weeks to have them removed. If i was just to remove the minx and re apply, surely that is still classed as wearing minx for week or months on end, the only break would be the few mins between removal and re apply. I am no way questioning anything people above have said as wrong, I just need to know so I dont end up with client damage. I always tell my minx toe clients to use their oils and not to have long toe nails, I trim them when I apply and then when I re apply. Do cuticle work every time etc. I am getting all the people who had minx toes last summer wanting them back on again now, I hope that Im doing it right. XXX

I must admit that like SarahPoppy, I was also unaware that it should only be left on the toes for three weeks or so. The product lasts so long on toes that it is going to be a hard sell to convince clients that they must have it done so regularly.

I don't fully understand how non-soakable gels apparently never need to be fully removed and do not damage the natural nail underneath. Also, so many clients keep polish on toenails for weeks and weeks without damage. Personally I have had fibreglass on my nails for 7 years continuously with no damage at all.

I love all these new products but splits and dry patches seem to be being caused by long term wrap or gel/polish use, and its a kind of damage we've not seen before. Are we sure that these new products are really good for natural nails?

The three weeks time that I mention is talking about maintenance of the toe nails, i.e. Trimmjng and taking down the length to stop clients letting their nails get too long which can cause breakages and sometimes onycholysis, not necessarily always to remove the Minx depending on growth ... Not that the Minx itself is doing any damage, just the wearing of them for so long a time is allowing excess growth. If clients come regularly for maintenance and follow aftercare then there should be no problems. I'm sorry if my meaning was not clear.

@ sarahpoppy, it sounds as if you are doing everything right so carry on. :hug:

@ JuicyLucy, I have worn L&p for more than 25 years with no damage and now have long strong natural nails with Shellac and no damage, but we all know that some people do damage their nails through lack of care and attention, maintenance and improper removal along with sometimes bad technicians.

I've seen plenty of damage with fibreglass and gel wearers over the years as with anything elsel. If anything, the newer products require less maintenance and I see less client abuse and less damage than ever before because clients pick at them less ... But that also means they tend to look after them less as they are more trouble-free and clients these days are pushing too long between their appointments for maintenance. Maybe the GFC has had something to do with it .. In fact I'm sure it has.

My own experience and what I see from my clients results, like Sarahpoppy, tell me that I can have every confidence both in my products and in my ability to get the clients to return to the salon on a regular basis for treatment and they won't suffer from breakages and dryness.

To the original poster, it may be that your mum needs to spend more time moisturising her toenails on a daily basis if she has a dry skin problem.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Can I ask a few q's...?

How long can Minx be left on toes? And what do we tell clients with regards to aftercare?

I've been marketing Minx saying it can be worn for between 4 -5 weeks. Is this correct?

So on aftercare do we remind clients to make sure they don't neglect their aftercare, keep toe nails trimmed and if possible use a good cuticle oil (Solar Oil) regularly and if Minx starts to lift either return to the salon/therapist or in the event of the client wanting to remove their Minx just apply a gentle heat source (e.g. hairdryer) and peel off??

:)

Hi all,

Can I ask a few q's...?

How long can Minx be left on toes? And what do we tell clients with regards to aftercare?

I've been marketing Minx saying it can be worn for between 4 -5 weeks. Is this correct?

So on aftercare do we remind clients to make sure they don't neglect their aftercare, keep toe nails trimmed and if possible use a good cuticle oil (Solar Oil) regularly and if Minx starts to lift either return to the salon/therapist or in the event of the client wanting to remove their Minx just apply a gentle heat source (e.g. hairdryer) and peel off??

:)

Sounds like you are doing everything right to me! :lol:

Dear All

Sorry to jump in but i too am worried now about the health of my minx clients tootsies! I was definately not told at my training that they should be removed after a certain time. Luckily most of my ladies get tired of the design and rebook. Also, I dont mean to be be blonde but surely the minx are waterproof and non-porous so why the oil? is it for the surrounding skin? thank heavens for this site I am now re-educated!!

Emerson

Thanks for the replys, yes I also tell my clients that they can still cut their toe nails, and it will not effectt he minx at all, sometimes however they do come back and have not trimmed them, so I take them nice and short so they are a healthy length and shape. Glad I am doing it all right!! I love minxing! Thanks again for the replys. :hug:x

I thought You shouldn't use oil with the minx as it may cause lifting!!! :confused:

Latest posts

Back