Its time to give up

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hiya,

Just had a lady book in for her and her friend for a spray tan, she rang 20 minutes later and canceled because of my age.

Came onto the salongeek from my website and rang up and said that i have had hardly any experiance and that she dont want a spray tan from someone who is 16.

Remove the link

yes ive sat here and cried and have now decided to give up this is too much for me ,and sick of people judging me for my age when my age has nothing to do with spray tanning its more important that im trained,insured and have plenty of practice which i have had with family,friends.

So if anyone would like to buy a spray tan machine pm me x

Don't you dare sell that machine!!!
Pick yourself up and start over. Get your website updated, I never tell anyone my age.. if you are qualified to do something what does your age matter??
(I'm 21 btw:))

I know age is nothing but a number,

shall i set up a new acount on here under a different name? so then it isnt connected to my business then people wont see my conversations on this website? once i done that delete this threa, thanks guys xxx

I know age is nothing but a number,

shall i set up a new acount on here under a different name? so then it isnt connected to my business then people wont see my conversations on this website? once i done that delete this threa, thanks guys xxx

To be honest hun it would be easier to just remove the link from your site...this is a site for professionals so there's really no need to show your clients your posts.

Hun, you have had all kinds of wise words and advice from very smart geeks.

Listen to them.

The only reason I don't link 'geek' on my own site is I don't want clients knowing my conversations with geeks. I love geek, and would support it that way, if I could. But there are some things clients don't need to know.

On another note, how about putting together a portfolio of your work? A collection of "before and afters" pictures, that PROVE your experience? Get friends and family for whom you've done tans to write comments on your site regarding your work?

No one needs to know your age, it's none of their affair.

I was a hairdresser at 16 and I certainly understand where you're coming from. BUT once they're "in your chair" so to speak and see that you CAN do the job and a good one at that,they'll be back and bring friends too.

Starting up a business is HARD, VERY HARD... but you CAN do this!

Giant:hug:

I know its absoloutly ridiculous makes me think some people in this world are just nasty plain nasty. xx

Not nasty, just wary hun. Once your clientelle builds and your reputation grows that will change. Giving up is giving in so with my best Mum of 15 yr old twins head on, this is what I think. Dry your eyes, wipe yer nose and get one with it! You'll get there!! xx

:hug: oh hun you poor thing , you keep advertsing , and get the pics up on your site of what a fab job you do !! it will prove before they even book that they aint gonna walk out all streaky
chin up and keep going dont you dare jack it in before you have even started :green:

if its any help when i first started hairdressing i had the client from hell who very nearly put me off totally, it wasnt me she was just a old hag :lol:

good luck xxx

Rebekah,
remember my story of one of my first bookings for a body massage.
the client told me it was the worst massage she had ever had!

I went home, weeped, wallowed, then dusted myself off and decided to become an even better therapist. I always had a picture of her in the back of mind, and I found out she was a therapist herself!

I really like the idea of before and after photos. Get your clients to write a brief testimonal about you, get their permission to feature it and remove their surname and place this underneath the picture.

eg
"the best spray tan I ever had" Christine W
"Rebekah is so friendly and professional" Alison D

Hun, you have had all kinds of wise words and advice from very smart geeks.

Listen to them.

The only reason I don't link 'geek' on my own site is I don't want clients knowing my conversations with geeks. I love geek, and would support it that way, if I could. But there are some things clients don't need to know.

On another note, how about putting together a portfolio of your work? A collection of "before and afters" pictures, that PROVE your experience? Get friends and family for whom you've done tans to write comments on your site regarding your work?

No one needs to know your age, it's none of their affair.

I was a hairdresser at 16 and I certainly understand where you're coming from. BUT once they're "in your chair" so to speak and see that you CAN do the job and a good one at that,they'll be back and bring friends too.

Starting up a business is HARD, VERY HARD... but you CAN do this!

Giant:hug:

Yes i think u have all been absoloutly fantastic...:hug:
Yes today im spray tanning my sister so im going to take a pic of her back before and after & will do the same with my mum tommorow.

thanks for your wise words huni :hug: xxxx

:hug: oh hun you poor thing , you keep advertsing , and get the pics up on your site of what a fab job you do !! it will prove before they even book that they aint gonna walk out all streaky
chin up and keep going dont you dare jack it in before you have even started :green:

if its any help when i first started hairdressing i had the client from hell who very nearly put me off totally, it wasnt me she was just a old hag :lol:

good luck xxx

thanks hun, hehe :) yes that lady was obviously very judgmental, she said she would rather go salon, go ahead:green: cos u wont get a better deal than mine with quality tanning lol.

I will continue doing tanning but be stronger and learn from my mistakes by putting links on my site. xxx

Hey hunny dont give up just because some old bat wont give you a go.

I am absolutely positive that there are plenty of people without her prejudices who will be happy to get a spray tan from you.

Dont you dare give up.

If I lived near you I would come to you for a tan.

Keep on going its worth it in the end. Eventually you will have more clients than you know what to do with.

I'm finding it hard going on my own as a mobile therapist but I wont give up.

Love and hugs Trish :hug:

Just seen your from Essex well thats where I originated, Brentwood to be exact.

Us Essex girls are a strong bunch.

Trish :hug:

aww thank you, i wont give up, all of you have given me strength to shrug off the snobby woman and keep going xx

Oh Gosh!! Listen, you are way too young and too new to this industry to give up so soon.

You will have so many disappointments like this along the way sweetie, but you know what? Its thiere loss, don't let one client ruin what could be your dream career!!!!!

Pick yourself up, dust your self off and you show them that despite your age you know exactly what you are doing, have a firm head on your shoulders and are very professional!!!

Alll the best babe!!!:hug:

oh no! how horrible of her !!!!! cant believe se cancelled because of that hun! sont u dare sell your machine!!! you have put alot into this so far but you have only been doin it a short while so these type of things r bound to happen at the beggining . just try to ignor it hun but at least u have learnt from your mistake . im glad u have taken salon geek off ur website now hun , keep up the good work!!!! all the best x

Rebekah, I am so glad you seem to have changed your mind and listened to everyones advice, people can be so blinkered at times, this lady may go to a salon where an 'older' person could do her tan, how does she know that perosn is any better qualified or more competent than you, how dare she judge because of your age

im glad you took the link from your website, i do not link back either, because this site gives us a place to ask advice and we dont want clients reading that do we?

i think the college students are a really good starting point and get some posters up and around your town, especially in schools, playgroups etc, im sure some of the young mums will be glad of someone who can go to their house or fit an appointment around their young family,

you go for it chick, believe me , we have ALL been there, but you seem passionate and dedicated, which goes a long way, you go get em, and then you wont worry about stuck up snobs like her

everyone has to start somewhere, so you gte your but out there and get started hun

good luck eh:lol:

:cry:Aaawwww! What a horible experience you've had, and thats all it is - 'a bad experience'!! Im glad you are going to carry on!!:) Theres always going to be thoughtless clients around, just pick yourself up and move on,& lets face it, you can only get older! x :)

Rebekah, I am so glad you seem to have changed your mind and listened to everyones advice, people can be so blinkered at times, this lady may go to a salon where an 'older' person could do her tan, how does she know that perosn is any better qualified or more competent than you, how dare she judge because of your age

im glad you took the link from your website, i do not link back either, because this site gives us a place to ask advice and we dont want clients reading that do we?

i think the college students are a really good starting point and get some posters up and around your town, especially in schools, playgroups etc, im sure some of the young mums will be glad of someone who can go to their house or fit an appointment around their young family,

you go for it chick, believe me , we have ALL been there, but you seem passionate and dedicated, which goes a long way, you go get em, and then you wont worry about stuck up snobs like her

everyone has to start somewhere, so you gte your but out there and get started hun

good luck eh:lol:

Aww thats so true hunii, i will take up these great ideas & will be keeping my age to myself for now till im at least 18.
Thats a client that i didnt need really eh?

Thanks huniii for your support & the rest of the fab geeks on here :hug: xx

Thats a client that i didnt need really eh?

Well of course we all need all the clients we can get! But she probably would have been awkward whilst she was with you and I think at this stage in your career you probably don't have the confidence to cope with someone like this.

BTW if it's any consolation I have a very young sounding voice so I know what it's like to have someone judge you by your age ... I've had someone asking if they could speak to my mother and I had to tell them that actually it's me they need to speak to .... and someone who said they wanted someone more experienced ... I'm 44 FFS!!!!!!!! But I kind of took it as a compliment :green::green:!

Well of course we all need all the clients we can get! But she probably would have been awkward whilst she was with you and I think at this stage in your career you probably don't have the confidence to cope with someone like this.

BTW if it's any consolation I have a very young sounding voice so I know what it's like to have someone judge you by your age ... I've had someone asking if they could speak to my mother and I had to tell them that actually it's me they need to speak to .... and someone who said they wanted someone more experienced ... I'm 44 FFS!!!!!!!! But I kind of took it as a compliment :green::green:!

:eek:omg!!! how offensive! bet at first that made you feel low about yourself,but i mus say you look brill for your age!! xx i would have neva of thought u was 44

Ah the powers of Photoshop!

I laughed at the woman who asked about my mother and so did she when I told her, but the other woman really annoyed me! She could have just thank you and went elsewhere, there really is no need to be quite so personal!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back