Just beaten the council tax, wayhey!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maguire

Reaction score
I have just beaten the council tax, we got a summons for non payment of january council tax, we had sent a cheque but they had not received it, we only knew once we received the summons.
we quickly checked with the bank to see if it had been cashed it hadn't so put a stop on it. We had not received any reminders. They wanted to take us to court and pay charges of £68 on top of the tax, I e-mailed them explained what had happened said they must have lost the check blah blah, got no joy they still wanted the £68 so I said well take us to court then I might as well get my £68 worth and waste their time and courts time.
I then e-mailed omnibusman, Got a letter to-day to say if we paid the £100 counciltax before 3rd March they will waiver the £68 and cancel summons, so I have just paid and now no court and no £68 charge to pay:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Well done you! What a cheek in the first place! Honestly!!!

Councils and naff, we pay ours on direct debit.

Last year I had 2 bailiffs turn up at home and tried to remove stuff, was totally shocked and upset. After a very long telephone conversation to the council they confirmed that we paid by direct debit.

It turns out that they run 2 seperate computer systems and did not tell them that we paid monthly, so it showed on the debt dept system that we owed money. Now who ever thought of this process should be sacked! Most probably being paid loads of money and has the brain of a mouse.

They told me that they had sent the reminders and they had not been returned by post so it was deemed as being served, so I said I did not receive the cheque back by return post so I deemed that as being served, I detest paying tax as it is. But if I was going to have to pay the charge then boy was I going to get my money's worth by turning up at court.

Fancy bailiffs the one hand does'nt know what the others doing. I told them if they could lose thusands of peoples identity then one cheque would be a peice of cake

Last edited:
Well done! It is terrible how Councils use very aggressive, heavy handed tactics with people who have every intention of paying.

I really feel sorry for the elderly on the receiving end of their actions.

what gets on my nerves is when you get people that dont have any intention of paying and yet nothing happens to them. BUT then you get people that always pay their way and get very rude nasty letters for being a few days late. it really doest seem fair to me!!

what gets on my nerves is when you get people that dont have any intention of paying and yet nothing happens to them. BUT then you get people that always pay their way and get very rude nasty letters for being a few days late. it really doest seem fair to me!!

You are dead right there. No way was I backing down:)

Latest posts

Back