Just find it annoying!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to worry so much about pricing but I now feel confident in what I offer if anything I plan to nudge prices up a bit rather than down. If someone is cheaper that is up to them. What I find is that some therapists do not take into account preparing for the client and the clearing up after not just the treatment time and cost. Sometimes you do a treatment say for 40 mins but you cannot do the next client until you have taken payment and cleared up making the whole session an hour, plus washing and cleaning etc. One of my clients is a bank manager and she said that so many salons do not know if they actually make a profit - your business has to be profitable. Obvious I know, but so overlooked when therapists price themselves too low.:hug:

Hello,
I usually charge £20 a spray tan to but have found my competitors are charging £10 to £15 at the moment. To be honest my customers stay with me because they like the solglo colour which im happy about.
I am doing a christmas offer at £10 a tan and this is only because I have managed to get 5 litres for 99 in December. its usually 50 a litre which is a bit streep so i cant go lower than 20 usually and it wrks out about 99p per tan so I can afford it, I ahve done this to say thanks to my customers and try and ebtice some new ones.

Once that offer finishes I will go back to my £20 again though.

Leah xxx

Personally, I wouldn't worry. Quality comes at a price and customers know this. If your compitition are only charging £10 for a spray tan it's because nobody wants to pay them the going rate, probably because their not very good.

Once their expenses, tax and NI has been taken out of this tenner they'll realise they could earn more on a dead end, minimum wage, job and probably swap professions:lol:.

jes

Hi

While reading the thread I was wondering how the salon down the road from me manages to do it then.

For the last 6 months at least they have been running spray tans for a tenner. It has been a full sized ad in the local paper every week too. I cant understand how they can do it for this price ! It is a proper salon aswell and they are doing really well.

I cant compete with that and people are looking at me and wondering if a recognised salon can do it for a tenner then how come a little person like me has to charge double that. Surely I am just being greedy.

I am not sure whether to lower my prices or keep them the same as I know what I am doing but then so does this salon. And they cant be that bad at it either as I know people are going back.

Lisa

Personally, I wouldn't worry. Quality comes at a price and customers know this. If your compitition are only charging £10 for a spray tan it's because nobody wants to pay them the going rate, probably because their not very good.

Once their expenses, tax and NI has been taken out of this tenner they'll realise they could earn more on a dead end, minimum wage, job and probably swap professions:lol:.

jes

Sorry Jess, but just because something is more costly does not make it better. Same goes for if something is cheap, not necasserily nasty. I offer a raange of tans, and I get my solutions I use for my offers from LA tan which offer buy one litre get one free, so I therefore pass this saving on to my customers. My tans range from light 8% to dark 12% I use on average 30ml per spray or less, you do the maths????? at £40 a bottle with one free.

I do make a profit, my tent is up at all times as my gun etc, clean at end of the day. Believe me I make a profit or I would not be offering this. I charge £18 per tan and people do pay me this much, although they also pay £20 for two tans when I have offer on,,WHY because they love a bargain. It also helps with mid week trade, and new clients. I certainly wont be swapping professions anytime soon. xx

As a Nail Technician I have to deal with these issues on a day to day basis.

What it boils down to is you have to prove yourself, or the clients have to learn from their mistakes, no point being bitter, it's proof, or a matter of time.

I wouldn't advise lowering your prices if it means you losing money. There will always be businesses who are cheaper out there. I agree that you should highlight the benefits of your product and service.

Stick to your guns - your loyal customers will always come back to you if they are happy with the service.

I am ery sorry but I will tend to disagree with most of these posts, at the risk of being hated :(,,,I use La tan sttroprez and sun labs. I do certain offers and one of them being two for £20,,, so therefore £10 a tan. I can gaurntee non of my clients are 'tangoed' I have been trained, and I am GOOD at what I do.

We all know how much it costs to spray a person....... and how long it takes..... so ,,,yes I make a profit, in my own home I would never travel when doing offer,,,,just because something is cheap, or on offer, does not make it BAD xxxx
Hi!

You are not the only one! My best friend used £10.00 for full body as an introductry offer. She uses professional products and her tans are fab! If you are good then you only need to get that person through your door once! Most of her customers stayed and now pay £25.00 so maybe its not such a silly idea!

Hi!

You are not the only one! My best friend used £10.00 for full body as an introductry offer. She uses professional products and her tans are fab! If you are good then you only need to get that person through your door once! Most of her customers stayed and now pay £25.00 so maybe its not such a silly idea!

Totally agree. Why do people seem to assume that if there competition is a lower price to what they charge then it must be awful??? they have bad training, or they use lower end products??? I use CND for my enhancments and charge accordingly but still cheap and I still make a profit,I really couldn care less what other salons charge or dont charge I charge what I think is fair and resonable, and I am not greedy iygwim. I sprayed 12 people the other day on my offer day, as opposed to 3 the prev week when no offer on??? thats £120 for approx 350ml solution and took me 1.5hrs approx,,,NO profit you say ?????

I think some of us are forgetting the original post is regarding MOBILE tanning which does work out more expensive then salon tanning. Its much easier to charge lower prices per tan in the salon as there are no travel costs and travel time between clients . For me to charge £10 for a tan i WOULD have to be using a very CHEAP brand to make it worth my while as there would be no proffit in it for me, i really would be on less then minimum wage. I dont use a particularly expensive brand either, reasonable cost and good quality. :hug:

Hi, Firstly I didn't mean to offend anybody in my earlier post but if I did I'm sorry :hug:.

I got the impression, from the original post, that somebody was offering £10 spray tans as a regular price. The point I was trying to make is that, IMHO, no mobile tech is going to make much, if any, profits with prices that low unless they are using really cheap solution and not offering disposables, sticky feet etc.

Reducing prices for special offers or loyalty etc is a completely different kettle of fish and is good business practice:)

jes

Latest posts

Back