Kate Shapland Says What We're All Thinking

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
The lovely and eminently readable Kate Shapland of The Telegraph couldn't have said it better. Celebrities are exploiting and undermining the credible products in the beauty industry by making cheap alternatives, plastering their faces all over them and telling consumers that they don't have to pay salon prices.

The simple fact is, that if the consumer wants quality and value for money, not to mention a guarantee that the treatments aren't harmful to the natural nail, for example, they need the professional stamp of approval.

The nail industry appears to be suffering from a deluge of celebrity-endorsed products at the moment and Nicole Sherzinger's latest addition to the market has enraged Kate Shapland enough to say what we're all thinking.

How do we overcome it? We've got to educate the consumer...how do we do that? Answers on a postcard please!

Read Kate Shapland's article HERE

Until then...geek on!

The Ed.

Attachments

• nicole-scherzinger-press-on-nails.jpg
    nicole-scherzinger-press-on-nails.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 1,113
Last edited:
Well I'm going to quote it in a newsletter!

The paragraph on Cheryl Cole was spot on, she and Girls Aloud made a mint from their false lash brand and now Cheryl is obviously making another mint with this new mascara.

I'd like to actually have clients this week to cover my nursery fees let alone CC's bank balance!

Let's face it celebs will endorse any old tat if the money's right & people silly enough to believe they use these products or even care if they use these products are foolish to say the least :irked: stick on nails indeed lol

It's like they become so self-obsessed

A good example is the myleen klass nail wraps... Her face is plastered all over that crap.
My mum saw them and was like "Ooh look at them they look good" um no.

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

we should round up the celebs responsible and force the madams to do their flipping treatments, id love to see myleene class apply her own nail wraps..............

we should round up the celebs responsible and force the madams to do their flipping treatments, id love to see myleene class apply her own nail wraps..............

This is totally what beauty therapists should do. Every beauty therapist should refuse to do their treatments as clearly they don't need us. They'd sharp come crawling and stop doing it

my friend bought a couple of the Mylene Klass wraps and asked me to put them on as a favour - OMG they are awful........... i only got as far as one nail and then the whole lot went in the bin!!! No stick, poor quality, don't waste any money on them!

Kate Shapland is a truly iconic journalist and I so happy to see her write this. It is inevitable that the knock offs will come out (I even saw a children's nail bar game with these huge plastic tips that they stick on - an ad in between the dreaded Sponge Bob) - everyone is jumping on the band wagon and again I cant stress how important it is good to keep your ear to the ground and continue to educate all those around you and especially your customers.

You are never going to find the same quality in the local chemists or supermarkets - in fact nothing that resembles our professional products, but nails are and continue to be big news so expect more of the knock off rubbish - just don't believe the hype!!!:hug:

I think this is absolutely terrible, as if celebs don't earn enough as it is, they have millions, and insist on endorsing these cheap products for another quick buck, not only taking away business from people trying to just make a living to get by, but also degrading all the hard work we do by making it seem like you can get the same result yourself at home! The result; damaged nails or lashes from rubbish products for the consumer, and a 6 month contract for the celeb before they take on the next fleeting trend that takes their whim
(cheryl cole being the perfect example of this!)

I don't blame the celebs, I blame the companies asking them to endorse the products. A Lists Celebs will endorse ANYTHING if the price is right and Z list celebs will endorse anything for free products and to keep their name and photo in the press.

I don't blame the celebs, I blame the companies asking them to endorse the products. A Lists Celebs will endorse ANYTHING if the price is right and Z list celebs will endorse anything for free products and to keep their name and photo in the press.

This is so true and I was just about to write the same thing but different.

I don't blame the celebrities ... I don't think the problem is the companies who use their endorsement either ... They are being quite smart because the saddest thing of all (and who I blame) are the small minded thick saddos that are actually really influenced by what the equally sad celebrities 'say' they use? Just what do they believe that endorsement will actually do for them and their lives?

I was moaning to my partner about the myleen klass nail foils and he said 'why shouldnt they, there making a business just like you'.

After thinking about it, i agree. These 'celebs' are not big time hollywood movie stars, their rejects from pop groups gone wrong. They need to make as much as they can whilest still in the limelight.

Rather than worrying about the next knock off thats come onto the highstreet, we need to put all our efforts into making sure our treatments are 100% perfect and professional. That way when the advert comes on our clients will laugh just like us! X

Sent from my X10i

Funny I should read this today, I was over at Michael's (huge art/craft store) last night picking up some Martha glitters and there at the cash desk were some sh*tty nail wraps for a whole $2 (About £1.30).........Can't escape it I guess.

I try really hard to push the pro brands but even my hairdresser who is a fab girl who loves nails has gone down the Sally Hansen wraps route after knowing mine were Minx. I "half jokingly" just said to her, don't try to sell me any of your pro products now I will just get them in Walgreen's (she knows I use Morocooan Oil products) but the point got across!

On the upside I was in Red Lobster on Saturday night and had the tartan Minx on my big toes with just red polish on the rest with a peep toe type shoe and the hostess was like wow look at your toes, what is that? So she got the "speel" and business cards to boot and of course people were looking to see what she was getting excited about. Shellac got a plug too.:lick:

...grrrr I'm sorry buy this is yet another low rate inferior product!

I'm a firm believer in the 'you get what you pay for'... things come and go but quality will always have the edge.

I think we all need to rise above it, be aware of it, in the best possible way -ignore it! and carry on regardless.

My clients return time and time again for Minx and Shellac... don't get me wrong I am very aware that the odd one or two have tried something inferior elsewhere and come back to me.

I recently had an eyelash client who rang me to ask if I could fit her in to re attach the lashes that had shed as she had been collecting them and had purchased glue in Sally's!! I respectfully reminded her that due to health and hygiene only new ones would be attached by myself.

What with Sally's, Ebay and other online shops this is a challanging world e all live in:D

Latest posts

Back