La Brasiliana gone wrong, advice urgently needed!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuzion

Reaction score
Oh my God, this Brazilian lark is doing my head in, sorry geeks I feel like an amateur always on here asking this and that!!

I've done a fair amount of La Brasilana brazilians now, I've had one that didnt take, she had extremely thick curly hair, really can't see that I didn't follow to the letter, as it took 4 hours all in all, but just to make sure I bought some Diva straightners,heat upto 232c, only £30 from Sallys, but I was only going to use for Brazilans. I re did it on Monday, another 4 hours work, so far don't know the outcome. Have done another 2 treatments on others, in the mean time Diva straightners couldn't cope, 1st set starting buzzing and ceramic came off plates, next set same thing. Have now got some FHis, heat upto 232c, did a great job on client today.

Another customer I did Monday evening has text me today to say she's really not happy, her hair is now dry and frizzing, and awful. Her hair has half head hi-lights, thick jaw length bob, I did notice at the time the front sections were quite wispy and didn't like being straightened, and I mentioned she might need to get it trimmed. Have got to say her hair definately wasn't dry or frizzy before, what has gone wrong? Why? What can I do to make it right? Were the straighteners to hot, could the clarifying shampoo have opened to cuticle too much? Questions, questions I'm desperate for some answers

:cry::mad::idea:

232c is barely over 400F....this has to be a problem. Although I use QOD and not your brand, does your treatment not require 450F? Unless the hair is signifigantly damaged, and will not tolerate the full 450F ( recommended only 430F), you are likely not getting high enough heat to get a bonding reaction with the keratin. Also are you using formaldehyde free?? Again, bonding problems as some form of aldehyde is needed.

I use more lotion than they say, and GHD's.

232c is barely over 400F....this has to be a problem. Although I use QOD and not your brand, does your treatment not require 450F? Unless the hair is signifigantly damaged, and will not tolerate the full 450F ( recommended only 430F), you are likely not getting high enough heat to get a bonding reaction with the keratin. Also are you using formaldehyde free?? Again, bonding problems as some form of aldehyde is needed.

232c is 449.5f, I did wonder if ghds were good enough so thought I'd finally go for FHi after practically wearing out 2 cheap pairs.

I've emailed la brasiliana head office in New York asking why this has happened. I did express to the client that I felt her ends couldn't take the heat and would need trimming, I'm going back Monday evening to look at it. I won't give up on this one and will get to the bottom of it, hopefully everyone will learn from this .

Thanks ladies

:smack: Oop....my bad! We use farenheit here....blonde moment

Although I have done one where I dropped temp down due to the horrendous condition of the hair, it still held well, and she has no problems to speak of.

How long have you had the bottle? Let us know what the company says, as I am sure this may come up again!

:smack: Oop....my bad! We use farenheit here....blonde moment

Although I have done one where I dropped temp down due to the horrendous condition of the hair, it still held well, and she has no problems to speak of.

How long have you had the bottle? Let us know what the company says, as I am sure this may come up again!

I've had the bottle no more than 8 weeks. I'm wondering if the irons were to hot, as the front of her hair was quite wispy towards the ends, but not all over, her hair is blonde and hight lifted, but thick. Will keep you posted, la brasiliana head office in New York read my email Friday, as received a read receipt, I did mark it as urgent, obviously not urgent enough.

x

I thought this post was about brazillian waxing, I went "ooooh" at the though of straightening the hair lol...

I thought this post was about brazillian waxing, I went "ooooh" at the though of straightening the hair lol...

:eek::eek::eek: bwahahahahaaaa

:smack: there's always one :)

Ok, ladies,

The news so far, La Brasiliana have not even bothered to reply to my now 2 emails, so for tat alone I will be changing the product I use!

Have just returned home from visiting me very unhappy client, her hair was indeed "knackered"! Without a doubt to much heat was used. The instructions tell you to use 232c degrees of heat, unless the hair is fine and blonde, clients hair is naturally base 6, with half head loads of hi-lights. The front section was definately thinner than the rest of the hair, but not unusually so. Anyways where the hair had no colour it had taken lovely, so I knew the keratin was sealed in, but the further up the hair towards the top layers and front section the more "frazzled" it looked, top section only being the last half inch front at hairline 1-2 inches. I trimmed about a 1/4 " as she didn't want anymore off, which made a huge difference and used the serum from La Brasiliana. What I did find amazing that still with all the frazzledness it blow dry so easily, non of the usual chewing gum, napping off, which mad me realise for sure the keratin was still in the hair and keeping it together. I had thought of telling her to wash it out before seeing it, but I've now said on no accounts do that.

For the first time in my hairdressing career I totlly refunded a client, I always say to never do this as its admitting liability, but in this case how can I be sure itis or isn't my fault? With no support I can't be certain. I did tell the client all of this, and she was so good about it, I think mostly because I was honest and not fobbing her off, and I've also offered her next treatment with the next brand I use for half price, and she said she's going to go for it still. Top Girl! Plus her hair did look ten x better when I left, but still will need a bit more maintenance.

So thats a lesson to be learned, if the straighteners aren't hot enough they don't do the job, and to hot knacker the hair, but in some cases you need to just keep changing the settings on different parts of the head!:zzz:

I'm no hairdresser but it sounds like you have done the best thing for this client. It's so nice to hear what you did for her and I bet you she comes back as a client!

So is this treatment a way of relaxing the hair?

soooo GHD's are they not hot enough for the keratin treatments? i thought they were the best on the market?
i agree you have done the best thing its nice you have posted your message cos its good for us mobile guys to know these things

I'm no hairdresser but it sounds like you have done the best thing for this client. It's so nice to hear what you did for her and I bet you she comes back as a client!

Hi there,

No its not a relaxer it's a smoother....its a keratin based treatment that is applied to the hair, in the more processed the hair the better, but obviuosly not in this case. Its great for frizzy, kinky hair, and with the damp days setting in it'll get a lot more fans. It takes from 2-4hours to apply, from start to finish, hair is washed in a clirifying shampoo 2-3 times to open the curicles of the hair, dried 90%, keratin treament in then applied 1/4" sections at a time, then the hair is thoroughly blow dries, then straightened 1/4" sections at a time, but each section upto 10 passes with the straighteners. The hair can then not be washed for 4 days, other brands do vary, it cannot be clipped up, tiesd up or even tucked behind the ears, no products can be used or it mustnet get wet within those 4 days, afetr that only sodium free shampoo and conditioner can be used.

For some people they can wash n go, but thats probabaly because they don't do much to their hair normally, but most cases I've come across say it gives them back 1/2 an hour every day, which they would normally spend drying and straighteneing their hair.

There has been a lot in the press about it, google it, you'll come across a mountain of info :eek:

by way thank you for that back up:hug:

soooo GHD's are they not hot enough for the keratin treatments? i thought they were the best on the market?
i agree you have done the best thing its nice you have posted your message cos its good for us mobile guys to know these things
I've given up on my GHDs as I did have a client with really curly, frizzy hair, and I could feel they just couldn't get the cuticle smooth enough, I've now got some FHi after 2 pairs of cheapos buzzing, and ceramic flaking off the plates! So far so good, and at least I can turn the temperature down if needed.

I do feel this is a complete anomaly to client and hairdresser alike, and when I've seen on here people who are not qualified hairdressers asking where they can buy a starter kit from to earn a quick buck, I've told them there is no way this can be done buy anyone less than a professional, it might sound easy to do, by my own admission I thought this, its really, really hard work. I'm already getting RSI....madness. Have to say though I actually do enjoy doing the treatment, and even more so when I recieve a comment on my Facebook business page or a text saying so.
:hug:

Fuzion are you goin to olympia this year? you may be able to get some really great straighteners there. i got some at excel...cant think what the brand is right now but they where great! (think it is FHI) Hopefully you may see them at a stall and have a go at them! hehe! only kidding, but check it out i reckon they'll be loadsa retailers tryin to sell you the best straigheners! i hate cheap crappy straighteners! sayin that ive got coraliss!(but i love them) xoxo

hiya luv, i cant believe that la braziliana haven't replied to your emails i think thats shocking is there a number for any where in the uk that you can phone and give them a piece of your mind :mad:

I've given up on my GHDs as I did have a client with really curly, frizzy hair, and I could feel they just couldn't get the cuticle smooth enough, I've now got some FHi after 2 pairs of cheapos buzzing, and ceramic flaking off the plates! So far so good, and at least I can turn the temperature down if needed.

I do feel this is a complete anomaly to client and hairdresser alike, and when I've seen on here people who are not qualified hairdressers asking where they can buy a starter kit from to earn a quick buck, I've told them there is no way this can be done buy anyone less than a professional, it might sound easy to do, by my own admission I thought this, its really, really hard work. I'm already getting RSI....madness. Have to say though I actually do enjoy doing the treatment, and even more so when I recieve a comment on my Facebook business page or a text saying so.
:hug:

Here Here, right there with you!
Sharon, you are having fun with this Brazilian business . My GHD's are holding up well so far, did use the FHI s on one client but they dont seem to clamp shut as well as the GHD s. I agree on being able to turn the temperature down as well.
I completed a treatment on a regular client colourwise but first on the Brazilian a week last saturday and when she washed off she said the majority of her hair was great but some frazzled bits as well. I am seeing her this sat to take a look as she is quite a way away. She used to have blonde highlights then went brown before christmas and slowley back to blonde, she had also just returned from two weeks in Turkey so hair very parched so sounds like it has frazzled on the highly processed bits. will find out saturday. So although the treatment does say the worse condition the better the result i imagine this proves out hair does have its limitations.
Its lucky you love doing the treatment , i must admit ive had my doubts a few times lately. lol
You must let us know how the clients hair goes on the second treatment x

the same thing happened to me first time i used la brasiliana on myself luckily but i was upset my hair looked ok but when i washed it it was fried on ends
knew i must be doing something wrong because everyone else was saying such good things about it did it again with more product was amazing
think i just over heated my hair with not enough product on to protect the dvd says less is more it isnt correct

Latest posts

Back