Local Salon advertising Fake Bake but using Tantruth!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimi1101

Reaction score
The salon down the road has a massive poster in their window advertising they do Fake Bake spray tans...but when I was in Sallys the other day, a woman was in there who was the sister of the owner and she was asking if she was buying the right thing when looking at Tantruth, as she was coming in on behalf of Mrs X at XXX salon and they needed more tan.

I'm raging!! I know its not got much to do with me but I get a lot of clients asking me if I stock Fake Bake and am HONEST and say no...I might as well lie like they are!!!!

I have it in mind to call Fake Bake but I don't know if I am being a cow or not. Just not fair to clients!!!!

What do you think? Should I just keep out of it?!

Saying you use one brand but then using a different brand without telling the client would be fraud - a lot of people pay extra for Fake Bake because of the "prestige" of the brand. Possibly a job for Trading Standards?

I understand where you're coming from but *maybe* they're waiting on a delivery from Fake Bake and needed to pop into Sally to get some emergency supplies.

Yeh, I know Zoe. I just get frustrated, its like me advertising I use Wella but if I ran out I went and bought Nice n Easy instead.

And its not because theyare my competitors...its because they are taking the pee out of clients by doing this.

Hmmm...

Well, I went for a spray tan in a local salon approx a year ago (before I started spray tanning). When I booked my appointment the salon owner told me it was a st. tropez tan i was getting and I asked her if it would be suitable for my fair skin as I was worried about going orange and she assured me it would be fine, however AFTER I had been sprayed the therapist let it slip that it was hei shi that they were using. I knew very little about tanning at the time and was assured that ALL solutions were more or less the same. Anyway the long and short of it is that I went away that weekend looking like an "oompa loompa" totally tango'ed :cry: as the solution was obviously too strong for my skin tone (fair and blonde). I can look back and laugh now and it gave my friends and family no end of laughs that weekend but it was awful. So having been mislead by a salon myself I know where you are coming from Kim and they are out of order! :irked:

before you do anything tho.... double check they dont have a cheaper alternative. 2 prices etc... my friend uses cali tan and tantruth,,, but prices different xx but tbh tantruth bludy stinks lol... i trained with it..... im happy with nouvatan and myself only use 1 .. but who knows...x go get a tan lol ule soon know fakebake goes on dark and powdery so im told .. tantruth takes a while to dry and gets stromg smelling pheww as it develops x

Do sallys do fake bake, I know aston and fincher do. If she is a sister of owner she may have been looking at the completely wrong thing, I could never send any one in to the wholesaler for me, I know they would get it all wrong..maby it was an honest mistake. Orrrrr you could get someone you know to ring up and say to them "I hear you do fake bake, thats great when can I book because I am allergic to all other tans, came out in hives when someone used tan truth on me before and ended up in a and e!!! And see if they will book her in??? hahaahha xxxx:)

Do sallys do fake bake, I know aston and fincher do. If she is a sister of owner she may have been looking at the completely wrong thing, I could never send any one in to the wholesaler for me, I know they would get it all wrong..maby it was an honest mistake. Orrrrr you could get someone you know to ring up and say to them "I hear you do fake bake, thats great when can I book because I am allergic to all other tans, came out in hives when someone used tan truth on me before and ended up in a and e!!! And see if they will book her in??? hahaahha xxxx:)
hahahahahhahahaha rofl thats so funny x

totally know where you are coming from. I use fake bake in my salon and the salon near by is doing the same. Saying they use fake bake when they don't. I called fake bake as i am using it and its bad advertising for my salon when clients are looking orange after getting a so called fake bake else where. Fake bake took the details of the salon and told me that the salon hadnt orderd from them since 2008 which would either make the product out of date or they were using tantruth. The only reason i know the tan they are using isnt fake bake is beauty i had a client come to me to get an orange so called fake bake fixed which may i add turnd out well considerin the mess my client was in. The same client complaind 2 the salon in question and they tried to remove the tan from her skin with white spirit and nail polish remover! I was raging and called fake bake. They are now dealing with the problem and im sure fake bake would like to know of any other salons doing this as it is fales advertising for fake bake. Fake Bake will have this clients details if they purchase from them and if they dont and are noticebly advertising fake bake then they can take them all the way x

I understand where you're coming from but *maybe* they're waiting on a delivery from Fake Bake and needed to pop into Sally to get some emergency supplies.

regardles to having ran out of fake bake they should never advertise fake bake hen its going to be tantruth, lets face it who wants a tan truth tan?

regardles to having ran out of fake bake they should never advertise fake bake hen its going to be tantruth, lets face it who wants a tan truth tan?

If it was just for a day, you wouldn't take all your advertising down.... for all we know they might be telling clients when they book in...

I have had the misfortune of having a tantruth tan and it almost ruined my holiday in Ibiza it was so bad.

I would be very careful about what you do Kimmi as these things tend to bite you on the bum.

I do like the idea of someone ringing up and saying they are allergic to cheaper tans though.

If Tantruth is nasty then it will ruin the salon's chance of repeat business anyway :wink2:

If Tantruth is nasty then it will ruin the salon's chance of repeat business anyway :wink2:

The deeper issue here is the one of "passing off" if the Tantruth solution is so bad that it would cause customer problems the real danger here is that those customers will assume its Fake Bake that is terrible if the salon is advertising what they use is the Fake Bake brand.

This sort of "passing off" is rather unfortunately more common than you would think and really is completely inappropriate,misleading and should be stopped as soon as possible.

HTH :hug:

Are you sure astons sell fake bake?? I had to set an account up with fake bake and spend so much before I could purchase, and am pretty sure they sold exclusively only, I know astons sell sudo, sun labs etc??

Its annoying for those of us who actually do use fakebake in our salons as clients that have never had a tan before and get a 'fake' fakebake will assume that fakebake does go orange and disguisting and stop using the brand! x

OK guys, you obviously all think I'm some sort of thicko. I was not condoning passing off :lol: I am the last person who would, and many of you know why.

I was merely suggesting that the salon in question may have been in a hole, run out of tan, needed some urgently and in desperation bought some in Sallys. I was also suggesting that they may have even told clients booked in, the truth.

But no, let's completely discount the fact that there might be honest people out there, we'll tar and feather them instead.

I guess I would be suspicious but it could be that she is using the card to get solution for herself or friend or maybe even to sell it on to someone else.

I would have thought if they have been using fakebake for a while the clients are going to notice a difference if they suddenly start walking out orange.

Just to diversify a little, I know a girl that did work experience in a salon advertising Clarins facials and they were using Wilko products. Owners apparently told her to get the patters on the eyes sharpish and the clients would never know the difference!!!!

I would tread carefully here, yes maybe consider giving fake bake a call, after that leave in their hands.

Its hard when you have no proof real proof. the tan might be being used for any number of things, yes its not right if they are using tantruth and advertising it as fake bake. BUT you cant be sure and because of this the most you can really do is a phone call to fake bake ,Let them deal with it as I am sure they will.

It will then be their responsibility to take it further to trading standards etc.

tigi

Latest posts

Back