Log cabin, garage conversion or conservatory?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks for the reply.

Sounds good.

I would have to NOT have my dog - would be a nightmare if my dog had been out and done a quicky poo then the client had to pass through.

One day...

This is one of my reasons why I dont work from home ,not the dog poo,but the fact my dog is only young and hates being shut out when we have company, it would become a nightmare...shes a pain in the butt sometimes, but so loveable too.:Kissing:

If I had a cabin or summink in the garden,atleast I could shut her in the house..and she could still see me...like my husband I sposse.:lol:

I bought my log cabin from B & Q. It's the Jarvi one, i bought mine for £1000 they are now selling for £1200!!!!!!!!!!

I guess i'm lucky with my dog.....he does poo but only in the morning so all will be cleared when my clients come..... and he sits just outside the door until i've finished...

Oooh,will have to try that one:lol::lol::lol:,tell him atleast he ll be able to look out the window and still see me ,even if I am working.

Ah, my husband wouldnt see that as a plus, lol!

I am considering a log cabin/summer house or garage conversion so would be interested to hear what you went for Helen.
cabinkel, your cabin looks great :)

Is there any clauses in peoples mortgages in regards to setting up at home. I would love to convert my dining room, but i think my mortgage deeds state that a business can not be done from my home, would have to look into it more though. xx

Hi guys

Just looking for some advice. I want to start up my own beauty business from home but not sure which option is the best. I have a detached garage which could be converted, I have space for a conservatory or I could replace the garden shed with a log cabin. I have quotes for all and have spoken to the council re: planning.

The cabin would be the cheapest option at about 3K with electrics, etc but worried it won't be warm enough in the winter or smell damp, the garage will be about 6K and the conservatory would be approx 13K. I have spent so much time weighing up the pros and cons of each that my brain is now mush!

Your thoughts/advice please?

Hi Helen, I agree with collin, the garage would be a good option especially if this is your firs time as a beauty professional. The advantage of having the garage separate from your house is that it will not interfer with your personal life, I'm sure that those therapists who had a choice may prefer to have had their business separate from their personal life. Good luck and hope you make the right choice that is beneficial to you. :)

after much tossing & turning of a few sleepless nights i decided with the help of my other half i wanted a log cabin...i'm begining to dislike clients coming in and out of my home.. it's like an invasion of privacy that it got a bit much that i have had to stop it all for a little while but still do regular clients,anyways after reading the thread regarding log cabins as a homebased salon i went and looked on this site Log Cabins | 3m x 3m Avon 3 28mm Walls Storage Log Cabin permission to have it has been approved by HA & environment\grounds council and i as long as i get a qualified tradesman to do the fitting of the electrics\heating\plumbling.the HA has to veiw it after it is done so that it is passed ect..ect..i'm looking forward to it ...cabinkel ur little salon is lovely btw.

Last edited:
i have and i love it the smell is amazing , i have under floor heating and tiles and then in the cold winter2 heaters should thy be needed, fully fitted with a kitchen. They are so warm and the wood so thick , no draught , will have a look for the company we used it was from the internet. Look s feature of the house and garden.HUSBANDS AND KIDS BANNED !

what compagny have you used honey?

after much tossing & turning of a few sleepless nights i decided with the help of my other half i wanted a log cabin...i'm begining to dislike clients coming in and out of my home.. it's like an invasion of privacy that it got a bit much that i have had to stop it all for a little while but still do regular clients,anyways after reading the thread regarding log cabins as a homebased salon i went and looked on this site Log Cabins | 3m x 3m Avon 3 28mm Walls Storage Log Cabin permission to have it has been approved by HA & environment\grounds council and i as long as i get a qualified tradesman to do the fitting of the electrics\heating\plumbling.the HA has to veiw it after it is done so that it is passed ect..ect..i'm looking forward to it ...cabinkel ur little salon is lovely btw.

We have a log cabin at the bottom of the garden, I dont use it as a salon but as a games room and someone is in everyday. We bought a hugh one and took 2 men 5 days to install. Make sure when you look into these log cabins and you get a authentic cabin. Some websites say its a cabin but only really a summer house. Log cabins come in planks and have to be interlocked together every piece, (summer house come in 4 sides made up and a roof) also make sure you go for a cabin at least 45mm and not the thin version, we went for a 135mm thick so it will last for years. Also on top of buying your cabin make sure the cabin is installed with a shingle roof and not felt. It will look more pretty and not leak to. We have double glazing in the cabin, french windows onto a patio, full electric. We had it installed in November went away for 3 months and when we came back it was not damp or it did not leak. In my opion you will not get a log cabin for under 4k for a small one and then you need to pay fitters, electricians and then flooring and soft furnishings. I have a large garden and live on a farm so the size did not matter but make sure if you have neighbors they are cool about it.

Just to add to this they have just done a summer house (cabin) makeover into a therapy room on 60 min makeovers (along with other rooms). It looked great with nail area, massage & booking area dont know if you can catch it again on the net it was on ITV. May give some more inspiration. I myself have a converted garage as my studio.

Just to add to this they have just done a summer house (cabin) makeover into a therapy room on 60 min makeovers (along with other rooms). It looked great with nail area, massage & booking area dont know if you can catch it again on the net it was on ITV. May give some more inspiration. I myself have a converted garage as my studio.

Can I ask which show and was it on recently as it might be repeated!

anne xx

I started out using my conservatory...big no no....so hot in the summer (especially as garden is south facing:)), so hubby converted the garage for me and its great.

If you are not thinking of moving in the next few years, the garage would bve great.

Latest posts

Back